“good value”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newcastle upon Tyne
Holiday Inn Newcastle City
A TripAdvisor Member
“good value”
Reviewed February 13, 2006

just returned from a weekend.was a bit aprehensive after reading some of the reviews, but i found it to be better than i thought.i went for a birthday treat for my son & daughter.we had a family room, which consisted of a double bed,tv & an interconnecting lounge area with a sofa that converted into a double bed also with a tv.great for my son.the bathroom was perfectly adequate for a weekend & we had plenty of hot water.ok the furniture was a bit shabby,but we weren't there for the decor !the breakfast was plentiful & i found the staff accommodating.the reception staff were helpful & didn't mind giving directions on the many occasions i asked.the only problem was the saturday night with revellers returning & being very noisy, but sunday night was ok, got a good night's sleep.all amenities were within walking distance,& i wouldn't hesitate to go back again for another couple of nights,although i would avoid fri/sat night.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cirencester, England
Reviewed September 6, 2005

This is not what I have come to expect from a Holiday Inn - rooms cramped, very hot (no A/C), furniture scratched and shabby (old Post House?) and rooms did not appear clean. Tiny bathroom.

Restaurant dinner was poor over-priced pub grub; breakfast was fine. Central location is good, but you have to be aware of the parking rules if staying for a few days.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank Andy Bernard
Shipley, West Yorskshire, UK
Reviewed June 19, 2005

Hotel let us check in without informing us that a boiler problem meant there was no hot water - only found out when I tried to have a shower and wash my hair before going out for the evening. Apart from that the room was OK, just about big enough.

Not plagued by noise like some other reviewers but we did stay on a Tuesday night.

Service at breakfast was very patchy.

The worst part was check out the next morning - I had to queue for 40 minutes, which I felt was a ludicrous length of time - I was late for my meeting as a result. Queue not shortened by the way reception did not properly address complaints about the hot water the night before - refusing to compensate in any way.

Would never stay there again.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank YorkshireUKtraveller
Toronto
Reviewed May 2, 2005

Service at reception was awful, they were not helpful in the least bit and seemed annoyed having customers interupting them when we checked in (and out). For instance they didn't look at you or acknowledge you and mumbled when they spoke to you. When I booked online it stated parking was £12/ day but when we checked in we found out it was £4 for a day pass or a night pass. The night pass was from 4:30pm to 9:30am so if you wanted to sleep in or stay for breakfast you had to go plug more money into the meter just for that couple more hours. The room was small and our carpet was very dirty with stains but the bed and bathroom were clean overall. The breakfast was too pricey, it was £14.95 for a full buffet breakfast and there was no choice if you wanted to just have a continental breakfast or a cooked breakfast, you had to pay the full amount no matter what. On our second morning there we went for the breakfast and I went to get a plate for fruit and each plate was dirty so I kept picking a new one and they were all dirty. I let a worker there know and they just seemed really rude and insulted that I brought it to their attention! To end it all, I had booked 2 rooms online and when we all wanted to check out we found out the total was all on my card and that we had to sort it out between ourselves instead of dividing the prices on both of our cards. I asked if they could credit my card and then divide the prices but they wouldn't do that. In general, for £82 per night this was not what I expected at all.

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank travel_weekenders
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 21, 2004

Stayed here from 15-17 October 2004 and it was grand. Located about a 5 min walk from the city centre, you cant go wrong if your looking for somewhere central to stay and that you can bring someone back to your room for some fun! The price for the room was good, but dont eat here as its very expensive and there's nice places to dine for a lot cheaper which are nearby! Overall had a pleasant stay and would recommend it for groups going to newcastle for the weekend as the residents bar kept serving till about 8 in the mornin! Sweet!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Durham
Reviewed August 29, 2004

Stayed here on August 28th 2004 and was not too disappointed seeing as I live near to Newcastle and know the location. Just a couple of points to mention for anyone considering a stay at the Holiday Inn Newcastle City... the hotel is located in a run down area next door to a nightclub that spills out at 3am with throngs of people waiting for taxis, arguing etc, this was clearly audible from the room as we had to have the window open due to the room being very warm & no air conditioning. A fan was provided in the room but wasnt powerful enough to make any difference to the temparature. The room was tiny, approx 18 inches gap between the end of the bed and the desk & chair, although it was nicely decorarted (looked recently updated) and was spotlessly clean as was the bathroom, had that just being cleaned smell !! All in all it was worth the £74 rate (look around on the internet) just dont pay the rack rate through the hotel as you may find yourself a little disappointed.

3 Thank dino durham
Zürich
Reviewed July 28, 2004

I have been in this hotel for a special occasion and it was advertised to have high speed internet connection when they didn't.

It is officially a 3 stars but very old, dirty, no air conditioned, pathetic lobby (10 sq meters).

I don't usually do that but I pretended my money back and moved (after I saw the room and the bathroom) to the Hilton in Newcastle. More expensive but was worth it.

Holiday Inn Newcastle is not worth the money. Old, dirty, a no no.

2 Thank Chuae