“Excellent Customer Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Food Social - CLOSED

Food Social
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
North Shields, United Kingdom
“Excellent Customer Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited Food Social for Sunday lunch and after a number of good meals here over the years I was looking forward to trying the Sunday menu for the first time. As always the service was friendly and fast and there was a nice variety of food to choose from.

As a starter I had the ham terrine with toasted sour dough and pear and saffron chutney. This was an excellent dish and got the meal off to a great start. All ingredients worked well together with the fruity sweetness of the chutney in particular a highlight.

For my main course I had the beef dish in a red wine sauce with a yorkshire pudding, vegetables and potatoes. The beef was extremely chewy and hard to cut into but we received a full apology for this and an explanation. The cost of this course was removed from the bill which was excellent customer service. The rest of the dish was perfect, particularly the soft yorkshire pudding.

For dessert I had pear sorbet which was a delight. All in all a great meal (which is always to be expected from this restaurant) and excellent customer service which meant that despite the issue with the beef this was still a great eating experience.

• Visited December 2013

Leeds, United Kingdom
“A diamond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

As visitors to Newcastle we selected this restaurant based on the Tripadvisor reviews. The taxi drive to the restaurant was a little disturbing as we clearly weren't driving through the better parts of the city. Once dropped outside we were still a little perturbed as the building looked to be in darkness with what looked like the tatty entrance to a working mens club - We ventured in and it was explained that the storms had blown down the sign and frontage, hence the 'tatty' outside. Once inside the scene could not have been more different. From this point on we received first class food and service in surroundings that can only be called classy.

For starters I had the crispy pig cheeks which were melt in the mouth gorgeous, made all the better once we got some salt. For the main course I chose the pheasant, which was lovely. Service was attentive without being obtrusive - in fact I thought there may be some psychic powers at play as they seemed to know what you wanted before you were even sure yourself.

When the bill came it included desserts that we had not had. This was immediately rectified with an apology, as well as the rogue items some drinks were removed as an apology. I always say that things go wrong and it is what you do when they go wrong that counts, they turned a mistake into something I can praise - well done!

• Visited December 2013
Munich, Germany
“ABSOLUTELY OVERESTIMATED”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Lunch out with my girlfriend in one of the "supposed" best restaurant in Newcastle (#8 out of 787).
We started with crispy goat cheese (not bad) and we continued with fish and chips and roasted beef with Yorkshire pudding (both named complicatedly).
As a dessert we had a fruit crumble with Christmas spices and a sticky toffee pudding that were more appealing before we started to eat them.
Atmosphere is quite nice and staff is friendly but restaurant's decor is quite discussable.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great food, great setting, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I would highly recommend this restaurant - the staff are friendly and helpful, the food is great quality, tasty and exciting, and the setting is relaxed - there is a lot of space between tables so you don't feel like nearby diners can hear every word of your conversation. The wine list was good too.

I had a delicious terrine for starter which came with an amazing pear chutney - top notch!

My venison main with celeraic puree and braised cabbage was fabulous - I asked for the venison more medium than pink and that was done without anyone batting an eyelid.

The only downside was that the starter and main were so filling I didn't have any space for dessert - devastated! But that's a great excuse to go back again....

• Visited November 2013
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“A delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Food was beautiful! well thought out , with so many flavours in one dish but all carefully complimenting each other So well presented as well. AND the deserts actually tasted like it was made at the restaurant and NOT bought in :) Had a good wine choice too. A little bonus that the prosecco was half price

Atmosphere was lovely, staff were perfect, not too overwhelming with 'customer service' but attentive and friendlly when we needed them

Just delightful