“Good pub!”

Ranked #411 of 1,326 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Gastropub, Grill
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Description: You'll find The Victoria Comet in the centre of Newcastle, directly opposite Newcastle Central Railway Station and a short stroll from the O2 Academy and St Nicholas Cathedral - and you won't find another pub quite like it. Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Recently spent a very enjoyable Saturday afternoon in O'Neils with friends. Good pub with a decent selection of drinks, good service in a proper pub environment. Never had food myself, but some of our group did, and they enjoyed their meals. Staff were friendly. No complaints at all, looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Very relaxed atmospere, friendly staff and the food is surprisingly good for a pub. I had macarroni which was freshly cooked and delicious. My partner had a steak which he said was the best he'd had. It's right opposite the train station, so very handy for travellers. Just a shame about the roadworks outside, but a bit of a haven inside.

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Nipped in for a quick meal, see photo of what they expected me to eat! I gave it bk and not even a sorry. I would have argued but was rushing for my train. Plenty of better places close by.

Chris H, Manager at The Victoria Comet, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Guest, I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations on the day, I will bring up your points at our next general staff meeting and pass them on. Please feel free to email at newcastleupontyne@oneills.co.uk where I can discuss your review further. Sincerely Chris Hart

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Lively place and food is tasty and is great value for money. Staff friendly and the place is very handy for the railway station Will eat and drink there again :)

Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

We called in at O'Neil's on Thursday just for an hour to kill time whilst waiting for a train after a ferry trip to Amsterdam. On the outward journey we had called in at the nearby Wetherspoons, and what a miserable cold and uninviting place it was, people hugging the radiators trying to keep warm whilst the air conditioning was blowing out cold air. The barstaff said there had been a staff meeting, the room was'sweaty' and couldn't change the air con as it was on a timer! I couldn't' wait to leave.

O'Neil's was warm, inviting and had great music. A nice touch was the candles on the tables on a cold dark lunchtime. I only had a coke so can't rate the food, but 5/5 for warmth and atmosphere. We will definitely return.