“Something different”

Dabbawal
Cuisines: Indian, Street Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Indian restaurant in Newcastle specialising in Indian street food.
South Shields, United Kingdom
“Something different”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Lovely place to eat. We chose to go for more tapas than main meals as there was so many things to chose from and they all looked nice. We started with a couple of dips (pickles and mint sauce) with popadoms. Some of the sharing dishes we got were bombay potatoes, paneer curry, mixed grill with prawn, chicken tikka, lamb. The food was very tasty and very well presented. Would definitely return, can't wait.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank rachelkcalder

Hastings, United Kingdom
“A lovely relaxing meal”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Good service, good food, average prices. In all a very enjoyable evening, would go back again and recommend to friends and family

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Michaela T
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food, great service”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My girlfriend and I first visited Dabbawal several months ago, as we had always wondered what it would be like. Upon arriving, we were met by a very friendly member of staff who was eager to attend to our needs, and ensured that we were setaed as quickly as possible I prdered the Seekh Kebab Kybria and for my starter and when it arrievd it was hot and sizzling, and the aroma was tremendous. The meat was rich and succulent, with just the right amount of kick from the spices. My girlfriend ordered the Punjabi Chilli Chicken Tikka - substantial chicken pieces cooked to perfection and bursting with moist, tender flavour.

For our main courses I selected Chicken and Fresh Spinach and my girlfirend opted for the Zeera Chicken, and we were not dissapointed. Each dish had a wonderful sauce, which was filled with concentrated flavours. The chicken was delicious and the accompanying breads and rice that were also ordered complimented the mains perfectly.

All in all, we had a truly fantastic dining experience, so much so infact the we have since been again, and this time I experienced the Railway Lamb Curry which was simply superb!

I would highly recommend a vist to Dabbawal if you are looking for delicious food and excellent service. We will certainly be back.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank GLall
durham
“A bit of an accident”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stumbled upon this place quite by accident wanting a coffee and a sandwich, when we sat down we were gobsmacked we were in an Indian restaurant on a hot Saturday afternoon and were considering walking out, having already had an Indian takeaway the night before. So pleased we stayed, I had a spicy chicken wrap and massala chips and my husband had a lamb wrap, which were delicious, we also had popadoms and dips which were a little different to the usual, all beautifully served, I'm pleased we stayed and will definitely return maybe on an evening.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank snowdropdurham
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Just OK”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

The food was OK.
Starters were the best, mains much more spicy than described on the menu. It was noisy and the service was mediocre.

Visited May 2012