“Don't go to a Korean business without knowing their food/culture”

Mannaza Korean Restaurant
Ranked #449 of 1,279 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Ashington, United Kingdom
“Don't go to a Korean business without knowing their food/culture”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Myself and my friends went here after college to try some Korean food being fully aware of Korean food and culture. We were served quickly and the waitress was very nice and helpful and spoke good English, and they had some Korean music playing which we like, and added to the atmosphere. We had kimchi, pickled radish, chicken in soya sauce and rice, and overall it was very nice. Some pieces were an acquired taste which we did not like, but when trying a different culture's food you have to prepare for this and some tastes or dishes you may not like. We asked for tap water and they were nice enough to refill it whenever we were running low. I think the people giving bad reviews honestly expected a standard British Chinese meal and should really research the culture they are dipping into before visiting!

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Scott H

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Very Average”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Booked here on the restaurant week menu, was a bit concerned because of the mixed reviews but overall I think the whole experience was very average. Service was fine, food was just ok. Chicken dumplings to start were good. Main, I had the stone bowl of rice and beef, which came with a runny egg yolk on the top (VOM) - I am not overly familiar with Korean food but I think the menu should explain some of the dishes to avoid the egg trauma with other customers! Meat didnt taste of the best quality and I used a lot of soy sauce to give it more taste. Glad I tried it on the restaurant week offer but probably wouldn't return

• Visited February 2014
Newcastle
“Awful food and service”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Three of us visited on friday and will not return. They messed up the drinks order, when the correct drinks arrived the beer was warm. The food was poor quality especially the meat. When serving the mains, 2 came out initially and the third arrived around 7 minutes later. Food was very disappointing and more was left then ate. Will not return and will be warning friends off.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“bad food and sevice”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Right let me start off by saying that I lived in Seoul for over a year and ate a great deal of Korean food there. The food we ate in The food was very authentic indeed and tasted exactly like the same food one would order in Korea. The bibimbap was delicious and the bulgogi was very tasty.

But...

This place is an unorganised, baldy run shambles for the following reasons:

*They are only open for Lunch (when we went) between 12 and 3. We saw over ten groups of people turned away up until when we left at 3:30. Do they not want to make money?
*The menu contains no explanation of the food whatsoever. If somebody was trying Korean food for the first time, they wouldn't know what to order!
*No itemised bill
*The atmosphere was non existent.
*Staff were just sat around doing nothing! (Which in fact, reminded me very much of most restaurants in Seoul)
*It was needlessly 'grand' and just looks ridiculous

I could go on, but I won't.

I really hope the owner is reading this (안녕하세요!) because I have the following suggestions-

*Make the place a (아사달 &아랑 in london korean Restaurant) or something similar for Lunch. Turn it into a student and tourist friendly place that serves the food in a quirky way.
*Put some music on!
*Clean the toilets!
*Redesign the menu
*Don't turn away paying customers!

The owner won't listen though and, as I came to learn during my time in Korea, they won't change a thing. I want to talk you and must cahnge head chef or chef. The mannaza could be a huge money spinner! Korean food is (apparently) the next big thing!

I'll probably go back newcastle in a year or so, but I won't go to mannaza. It will have closed down due to the incompetent running of the place!

But the food was good!

4 Thank jesica j
Tynemouth, United Kingdom
“One of my favourite places to eat in Newcastle”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We visited Mannaza last night and had a great meal as always. My favourite starter is the raw beef strips with egg, plus we also went for the kitchen pancake and some fried prawns. I'm so surprised to read negative reviews - if ever the waiting staff have unable to describe the dishes into English, another member of staff has been eager to help. Hygiene has never appeared an issue to me either. Yes, there will be some smoke but you are bbqing after all...Grilling your own food is obviously part of the fun but I would also recommend the 'stone bowl' dishes which are super tasty. However we had the grill meat platter last night along with a selection of fish: prawns, scallops and squid. These are served along with sweet potato and aubergine slices. Tip: the sweet potato takes a while to cook! We always bring friends here when they visit and have had no complaints so far. If you want a tasty, healthy meal which is a little different, give Mannaza a go.