“Move over the Butterfly Cabinet...”
Review of Cafe 1901

Cafe 1901
Ranked #195 of 1,303 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Attached to Jesmond Methodist Church
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

....well not quite, but this is the first cafe I've come across in Newcastle and surrounding areas that could be up there with the Butterfly Cabinet in Heaton (a firm favourite of mine for years).

I love the decor, right up my street. The only thing I'd say about it is it is very cramped and difficult to move about, no room really for wheelchairs or pushchairs.

I had a cheese and tomato croissant £3.50 if I remember correctly and hot chocolate which I don't remember the exact price, but I think the prices are in line with other higher end cafés (obviously not a greasy spoon). My food and drink were tasty, only wish there had been a bit more of it! I must be greedy though because I find many restaurants and cafés now serve fairly small portions in my eyes.

My personal only real downer about this place was I really wish there had been some music, it was lacking atmosphere and seemed a bit stiff. There were no younger crowds in, perhaps it was just timing, as it was a Tuesday lunchtime but I was surprised as this cafe was right on trend and thought it would have a steady flow of students and young professionals.

Either way I'll definitely be back next time I'm in Jesmond to try it out again.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I have been coming to cafe 1901 ever since its opening week, and have since seen it deteriorate which is a shame as it has a lot of potential. The staff are smilier than they used to be but I always seem to come out regretting having gone in.

The first thing I noticed on my last trip is that they have altered the tables so that if you have a pram, there are only 2 or 3 tables you can actually access. And the staff push past you while you're trying to squeeze through (patiently) to get one of those seats.

The second thing I noticed on my last trip was that a coffee and cake will set you back £6.30. When I expressed shock at the price, the smiley lady serving me thrust the receipt into my hand, awaiting payment. Feeling robbed, I squeezed into my seat again and awaited my snack. When it arrived the cake was very dry and the coffee (Mocha) tasted of cinder toffee with a burned taste and the chocolate powder had formed lumps in the milk. Don't get me wrong, if the food and coffee are good enough I'm happy to pay over the odds but I honestly (and it pains me to say this) will just go to Starbucks next time. A weekend treat shouldn't leave you feeling like you've been robbed and with a literal bad taste in your mouth. You've lost me as a customer, sorry.

3  Thank trisarahtops84
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I visited this café to reconnoitre it as a future meeting place for a group event in January. I had trolled the internet looking for an interesting, off beat, eclectic venue. This was to be the first place to visit, well it was the first and also became the only place. What a great, bizarre, novel homely coffee shop. The waiter was brilliant, as was the patroness. We booked our group party in without hesitation after sampling the food and coffee. Can't wait to go back, I certainly will report back to see if dealing with a large party on a Saturday lunch time is as good an experience. Do you know I really feel we are in for a treat!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Don't let the fact that this cafe is housed in a church hall put you off. Inside you will find a quirky cafe,good coffee ,friendly service and a nice atmosphere.
Personally I only had coffee but the breakfasts,snacks and cakes that were being served up certainly looked good. The cafe has a good supply of newspapers and mags.
In all civilized,friendly and independent.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I have visited Café 1901 regularly since its opening. The atmosphere of the place is lovely and the staff have always been nice to me. It is so nice to see a genuinely independent café on Acorn Road and I love the choice of food and drink. However, today and on previous occasions I have found their coffee to be very bitter. I always drink Americanos with cream. I had one today and it tasted so disappointingly acrid and it's hardly cheap, so I decided to set aside my Englishness and go and tell them. I presumed that the barista had used too hot water to make it or perhaps that the cream was sour, both easy mistakes to make. The lady manageress was very kind and took it back and said she would make another. The gentleman making the drinks then brought another one over and offered me double cream instead, which I prefer anyway. But this drink was just as harsh and sharp as lemons so I took it back again. This time of course, they were less understanding. I wasn't doing it to complain, I was doing it so they could learn from their mistakes. I like the place so much, I wouldn't want them to lose business because of small mistakes. The barista told me there was nothing wrong with my drink, that he had tasted the one I originally brought back and said it was fine. We just had to agree to disagree, but I won't be having their coffee again. My girlfriend loves their teas though, so I might just stick to them instead.

1  Thank BenNDiana