“Not exactly La Belle France but...”
Review of cafe de vie - CLOSED

cafe de vie
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Also Newcastle's Language Cafe. locals refer to it as 'the 'french cafe'. Barista Coffee House
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

My mam took me here as she had heard many good things about it. We both had coffee, which was nice, and cake, which again was nice, but my cheesecake topping was a little dry. We didn't have any other food so can't comment on that. The café itself is small, and quite cute, but I didn't feel all together comfortable sitting in there. I think it might have been the close proximity to other tables and the counter which made me uneasy. My mam loved it, but I wasn't so sure. I'm surprised that people who have been to France, and Paris in particular, say that this place is so authentic... It's not bad, but it's not like you've just stepped out of Newcastle and into France. However if it only takes some mots en français on a board to add some authenticity in your eyes then fair enough!

Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

My favourite cafe in town! I love coming here on the way to work.. Best coffee around and a lovely relaxed place to enjoy it in. Staff always friendly and efficient.

1  Thank ell121
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I love coming here for lunch. I have been coming since it first opened. It is the best café in Newcastle. It is run by a French man so really is a French café. It is small but the food provided is delicious I've never had a bad meal here. I have brought the kids and grand kids here but don't bring a pushchair as there is no room for them. The staff are all very friendly and very helpful nothing is a bother. I come here most Saturdays (closed on Sundays and Bank Holidays) otherwise I'd be here then as well.

1  Thank michele g g
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This little cafe off the main beaten track in Newcastle city centre has without a doubt the best coffee in Newcastle. It's reasonably priced.
It's a little hectic inside with it's small dimensions and can feel a little claustophobic but the french coffee and cuisine is well worth it!!

2  Thank Katrina A
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I have read some very good reviews about this cafe so decided to try it. Was very disappointed today . My quiche lunch was fine but the place felt chaotic and not the relaxed French experience I had hoped for.