“Certainly not a Wedding Reception venue”

Newcastle Arts Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: Newcastle Arts Centre Limited was founded as an Arts Development company in 1981.We are 9 buildings around a central courtyard, including a bespoke picture framer, details art shop, The Craftshop for orignal handmade ceramics and lots more, 2000 sq ft Gallery, Gallery Cafe serving a wide selection of drinks and great homemade food, and not forgetting the Black Swan, our cellar bar and venue, available for hire most nights of the week for partys and weddings and more..we are open Mon - Fri 9am - 5.30pm, Saturdays 9am - 5pm, Closed Sundays and Bank Holidays. The Black Swan is open to the public on Fridays from 7.30pm - 12 midnight with Salsa in the main venue ( the bar is free entry, there is an entry fee for the salsa, this includes dance lessons).
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Myself and my partner came across the Black Swan which is part of the Newcastle Arts Centre in our search for a wedding reception venue. The venue itself is great, unique and exactly what we were looking for our big day so we got in contact with the events manager.

First email was fine, nice and friendly and seemed quite interested in having our event, as time went on communication from the events manager was very sparse. I emailed 6/7 times asking if our chosen date was available and if we can arrange a viewing to discuss what the venue offers. It was only until I had to prompt them in getting an answer, and the response was less then professional! Very short and rather rude, we got the instinct impression we were literarily bothering her! But emails can be miss read and sometimes come across as blunt so we gave the venue and the manager another chance.

The events manager eventually organised a viewing which was on an evening as myself and my partner both work. They also sent confirmation of the meeting, which seemed promising. We arrived at the venue 15mins early 6.15pm and the building was padlocked shut, we put this down to our early arrival. We waited over 45mins and the events manager was a no show and the building remained shut. As soon as I could I emailed to voice how annoyed and disappointed we were at them waisting our time. We did in fact receive a response which said in short: I was in the building but put your viewing in the dairy on the wrong day, that they were sorry, admitted they could have done more to help us and even wished us luck in our venue search!

From the outset they never wanted to hold our wedding reception nor had any intention in helping us, even though on their site it states they are experienced in weddings and are willing to help in anyway. They should really update their site and not advertise as a reception venue and the so called "events, venue & catering manager" should really change her title as she is none of the above!

My advice is don't even bother trying to book an event as your time will be waisted, we now know it was a lucky escape and thank god we didn't hand over any money!

7  Thank laura c

Reviewed January 10, 2013

This isn't for the cafe upstairs which is nice, but for the main venue underneath.
I held a wedding party here and it was great.
100+ guests, two large areas. a stage for our DJ and live act.
Nice bar, great staff, very helpful and co-operative events management.
Reasonably priced.
The only problem is parking and access.
Also it's a little bit difficult to find, so guide your guests well!
They don't do catering but allow you to bring your own in which was perfect for our budget.
Also they have regular events such as salza nights.
A great place for an unusual but non-hassles party venue.

3  Thank DizMatt
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I visited here as a bid to gain inspiration for my own art, and to see how others interpret art, WOW was I amazed. In this one gallery, you can experience so many years and development and really begin to understand art and the different levels each individual can draw their own conclusions from it. Big recommendations for here!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is merely a few tables, a till and selection of tea or coffee and the usual sandwiches and cakes on offer. You can't really complain but it just makes you wonder why they bother.

Reviewed April 13, 2010

A golden treasure nestled away from the busy streets of Newcastle. Enjoy great food or just browse