“Read this before visiting Millfield House Cafe.”
Review of Jesmond Dene Park

Jesmond Dene Park
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I write this review solely about Millfield House Cafe. I visited Jesmond Dene with my baby daughter for a day trip out. We walked along to the old mill, visited pets corner and played in the park. All in all a lovely day. I then decided that both she and I needed feeding so embarked upon the only Cafe available, Millfield House Cafe opposite pets corner next to the visitor centre. The cafe has a very canteen like feel about it with cheep table and chairs and little atmosphere. However they offer hot food (not cooked fresh) and prepacked sandwiches and drinks. I ordered a tea only as I was feeding my daughter weaning food I had prepared. I ordered my tea and found a table and got a high chair. They weren't busy and it would have been nice if they had offered to bring the tea over to save me having to leave my daughter but that's a small gripe. Firstly I had to clean down the high chair. I had a choice of 3 but all were dirty with food and crumbs from previous uses. It was clear they hadn't been cleaned for a while as some of the food was dried on. I then sat down to have my cup of tea. I then witnessed a man come to order two cups of coffee. He asked if there was fresh milk. He was told no, little cartons only. He went to get these and I saw the staff member serving drinks raise his eyes to the chef. The man then took a sip and said it was slightly too strong for him and could he have some boiled water. The staff member said 'certainly sir' and gave him a pot of water. As the man walked away, the staff member looked at the chef and mouth 'puff'. The chef said 'what?' And the staff member repeated this time audibly, 'he's a puff. The coffee is too strong for him. He's a puff'.
I'm not only disgusted and shocked that someone would criticise a customer for wanting a drink that he is paying for to be how he likes it, but that such a defamatory word was used and in ear shot of other customers. So be warned people. If you choose to visit. Take everything how it comes as if you don't you risk a slur being said about you. I mean after all, you are only spending your own money!!!

15  Thank E-coli0157
Write a ReviewReviews (1,081)

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Very gorgeous and scenic and perfect for the whole family, especially dog walking due to the forestry etc

Reviewed August 4, 2013

A nice place for a wander with good paths and some well signed short walks along the river. Pets corner okay. Quite a lot of litter so not as pleasant as it might have been.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great little park, with access to riverside, small playpark and picnic area. Also has great and free to enter small animal park, containing goats, pigs, llamas, ducks and exotic birds. (beware though, animal park is not open on public hols). Handy and inexpensive cafe there too with seating indoors or outdoors so great all through year.

2  Thank BrianC2867
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Jesmond Dene stretches from South Gosforth to Jesmond Vale just on the outskirts of Newcastle, lovely walks and great scenery, pets conrner at the Jesmond Vale end.

2  Thank cazza321