“Don't Bother”

Life Science Centre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: For a great day out in Newcastle upon Tyne, look no further than the Life Science Centre with exhibitions, events, theatre shows and the biggest planetarium in the North of England! We’re an award-winning Science Centre full of exciting exhibitions, activities and events for all ages. Our programme changes regularly so there’s always a new reason to visit. And remember - everything is included in the price of admission.Life is an educational charity; we do not receive public funding. All money raised from ticket prices helps us achieve our charitable objectives - to get people of all ages switched on to science and to raise standards in science education. We couldn't do this without your support, so THANK YOU.
Elgin
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Don't Bother”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

What a waste of money - thankfully my daughter got in free of charge with a voucher. She's 14 years old and there was very little for her to do despite their leaflet. I think we stayed less than 90 minutes and that was pushing it. The only highlight was the 4D motion ride - you will get wet. It was refreshing because it was a very hot day.

Visited July 2013

Barrow-in-Furness
167 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 199 helpful votes
“For young children”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

After reading online, this museum gave me the impression that there were things for everyone there. And as we were stuck on a rainy day in Newcastle on a sunday there was nothing much to do other than visit the science centre. I must say that I was impressed by the 3d ride (like something you'd see in Universal Studios) and the Planetarium I enjoyed; but the museum itself was quite small and aimed at very young children. I would have been quite happy to watch the planetarium all day but besides from the fact that the timetable was sparse, we were only entitled to go in once to the 3d ride and the planetarium. The dinosaur exhibit was the other thing I enjoyed, and I must say me and my 21 year old friend were rather terrified of the giant animatronic dinosaur we found around a dark corner. If you have young children this attraction is perfect for you. But any older than about 7, prepare to be bored.

Newcastle
“8.1 would visit again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

All the dinosaur exhibits were very interesting, and the robotic dinosaurs were great, however it got quite repetitive. The dino show was really informative and was not over whelming. We absolutely loved the 4D Motion ride, it is a MUST if you go. The wall of ice is also really 'cool'. The planetarium is great BUT can be complicated, so choose your show well, and the ladies voice is too soothing, and made us fall asleep. Shop is too expensive. We think there should have been more things to interact with. Touch screens are not very good.
There could be guides to help us understand how the displays work.

Visited June 2013
LifeScienceCentre, Public Relations Manager at Life Science Centre, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks for the feedback - we really appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you thought of your visit. We're always looking at ways to improve the visitor experience, so we'll take your comments into account. Thanks.
Morpeth, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

lots of different themes throughout the year - looking forward to taking a 4 yr old to the dinosaur exhibition soon. Something for everyone

Visited August 2012
Thanks for your feedback! We really appreciate it and hope you're able to visit again soon.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Avoid!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We went to the science centre very excited it looked great on the website and I thought my 3 year old would love it.
When we arrived I was shocked to see that most of the experiences were not suitable for under 7's but my 3 year old was still charged a child's price also the prices on the website are different to what they are charging in the centre. It cost us nearly £30 for 2 adults and a 3 year old. The experimental experience part was quite enjoyable and fun to play with but this is about the best part of the whole centre you have to figure things out as you as they only have qr scan codes for explanations of the items. We then proceeded to the soft/role play area upstairs which was overrun by school children who were running wild and not being watched. Every time my daughter went to play with something one of the other children came over and interrupted what she was trying to do. So we left this area to go to one of the astronomy shows which we were told was only suitable for over 7's so went downstairs to the lower level were there was some
More exhibits about the human body but not really child orientated. We then went on the dinosaur part which was very dark and noisy also full of school children!! My daughter did not enjoy this part as was not keen on the dinosaur sounds I do feel they were louder than they had to be so we raced through this part of the exhibition and then found the next show time wasn't for another hour but there wouldn't have been room for us anyway as there was already 2 school groups waiting anyway. We went back upstairs to play with the experiments again but there had been yet another school trip group arrive and so the area was packed and I didn't really want to put my daughter down for fear of her being run down by the mob of children. I think if you have multiple school groups booked in and you will not be able to enjoy the full exibits then the price should be altered to suit this and also tell us when we pay! So I can fairly say I will not be returning and will definitely not be recommending this place to anyone. What a waste of £30!!!

Visited June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to contact us and let us know about your visit. I am very sorry that you didn’t enjoy your visit to Life. Life is an educational charitable trust and we have a very popular schools programme. During term time, our policy is to advise members of the public to visit after 2pm when it is quieter. This advisory note is also on our website. We take feedback very seriously and would welcome further discussion with you about how we can improve our visitor experience. Please email at info@life.org.uk with your contact details; I look forward to hearing from you.