“Top Class”

Clifton House Hotel
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Top Class”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Just stayed here with my sister and pal. Top class B & B made so made welcome. Room was clean as the bathroom the beds were comfy. So looking forward to next year as we will be staying over again but 3 nights. Very central for the town and metro centre. We couldnt get over the taxi prices that Caterina told us about Top class 100%

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank caz1812

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
West Cumbria
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed at Clifton House for 5 nights. It is a cosy, clean and good old-fashioned B&B. I received a good welcome, and Caterina provided me with maps and directions to my destination in the centre. The hotel is within 5 min walk to the bus stop, where buses arrive every 5 min in the morning. The hotel is located away from noisy streets and is very quiet. I stayed in standard rooms and enjoyed free WiFi, free ample parking and nice cooked and continental breakfast. Overall, I had an excellent stay with fantastic value for money.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Vasilysa
Perugia, Italy
Reviewed September 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights while visiting a relative in the nearby Marie Curie hospice. We received a warm welcome from Caterina, the proprietor and the room was quite perfect for us - spacious, immaculate, comfortable and wonderfully quiet. We couldn't recommend the hotel more - wherever in the city you stay - for what it offers and its very reasonable price.
Breakfast was excellent and so was the recommendation for a great Indian nearby for dinner. The off street parking was ideal. The personal touch and welcoming atmosphere were charming and we would certainly return to this superb gem of a hotel.

Room Tip: first floor double room looking on to the front garden was great
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alison J
Singapore
Reviewed September 16, 2011

- Catherina was an awesome host- helped us with our itinerary for the day, provided maps and detailed directions

- Sumptuous breakfast- cereal, fruit, cooked English breakfast

- Superb value for money

- Location was alright, the hotel is closely located to the bus-stops and is about a 4 pound cab ride into the city centre and a 6 pound cab ride from the city center

- Approximately 30 min walk to the city centre (would be a nice thing to do when the weather’s glorious)

- There isn’t really a downside to this place, just note the stairs. You might wish to request for a room on the 2nd floor (which Caterina kindly provided us with) when placing a booking with her

- We had a great experience overall :)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hull
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I don't usually write these sort of reviews but really felt compelled to share my recent bad experience of above hotel. Online it looks like a superb budget hotel but in reality unfortunately it was nothing like! I booked what was described as ensuite and was charged accordingly but the shower was outside of the room on the corridor and shared by all. Yes I had a bath and a sink and yes this is ensuite but its not really what one expects with ensuite. You'd be better taking a cheaper room without ensuite and then taking the shower on the landing. This said, the service was very poor so my thought is that you'd be better just going elsewhere. I originally booked for 5 nights but needed to leave rather than stay over on the final night. When I made the manager Caterina Love aware of this, whilst I didn't expect to get any of my money back, I did expect to be able to return to my room and shower before leaving, even though I was not staying over now. Not a chance. When I got back to the hotel ,all of my belongings had been moved to another room and I was initially advised that I couldn't showerand had to leave immediately. When i questioned this on the basis that although I was leaving the room, it had actually already been paid for, I was told that they were in a rush to get out and so couldn't accommodate me but if I rushed i.e. did everything that I needed to do in 15 minutes then I could shower. Needless to say that I decleined the offer, shoved all of my belongings in the boot of my car and exited the sad abode as rapidly as possible. Trust me, give this one a miss.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank startycat
pasqualina, Owner at Clifton House Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
We are sorry to hear through Trip Advisor that you did not enjoy your stay . to the contrary you did tell us that you thought this little hotel was great and exclaimed delight at being given a double en suite room for four nights for the price of the single en suite that you originally booked. It is very difficult for us to help you enjoy your time at the hotel if you do not tell us during your visit that you are unhappy .The experience outlined on your review does not sound familiar in any way to the very committed and consistent service we aim to provide to all our guests resulting in an award from Trip Advisor for Excellence in the year 2011.
We would like to stress that all our rooms which are advertised as 'en suite ' are definitely' en suite
It is ,however , not possible for guests to return to the hotel several hours after check-out to use the shower facilities and are sorry that this refusal of such an unusual request has resulted in such dissatisfaction.
We are genuinely concerned about your comments and would encourage guests to speak to us directly during their visit so that we can do our utmost to ensure you have a good all round experience while staying at Clifton House Hotel
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2011

the clifton hotel is very quiet,clean,has friendly staff, and good service,about 1.5 miles from city centre,breakfast very good,full english with tea cofee and toast,ceareal, orange juice,or a continental if you choose,

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Apple Valley, California
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We found the location convenient and quiet. Walk from the station is not too far, but there are also several buses. The AD122 bus goes nearby on West Road to Hadrian's wall so you don't have to go into town for it. On our arrival, we were greeted warmly by our hostess and given useful information about the area. Breakfast was well presented in a cosy room nicely furnished. Room was pleasant and WI FI worked, but the ensuite bathroom could do with some updating.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple