“A nice but dissapointing stay”

Malmaison Newcastle
Oldmeldrum, United Kingdom
“A nice but dissapointing stay”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I found the facilities excellent, but the hotel overall was a bit dark. In my room I had a wardrobe in the corner that I couldn't even see with ALL the lights on! One night I was having a shower with the door open and dropped the soap, as usual it bounced out into the main room,. When I picked it up it was covered in long dark hair, I am an ex-serviceman with cropped brown hair!

Room Tip: I would suggest the Hilton, close location, better standard
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
London
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've stayed at the Mal in Oxford a few times, so was drawn to the same brand during a recent visit to Newcastle. And, whilst I don't think this one is quite as good as the Oxford one, it's still good. Lovely building, good location, nice rooms, cool bar area, same great breakfast. Small spa area. Starbucks adjacent to reception. Worth a visit

Room Tip: Basic rooms can be small, worth paying a little extra for the upgrades closer to check-in (readily o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hebburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I went here with my girlfriend for my birthday in 2013 and was pleasantly surprised. The presentation of the hotel is very atmospheric and pleasing. The room was outstanding in quality and cleanliness considering the great economical prices.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I booked 2 standard rooms here, both were much bigger than expected! Bed was uncomfortable but that was only thing wrong and probably just personal taste. Everything was very clean and seemed newish. Bar area very nice too. I'd recommend their cocktails.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank EG1980EG
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Booked this hotel as is close to where I got married and in great location on quayside for pre wedding photographs. Booked via booking.com but then paid £60 to upgrade room to a suite. Suite we were giving was a corner plot, lots of space idea for morning of wedding with people coming and going and getting ready. I also booked my mam into a large double room, the view of the millennium bridge was amazing, especially at night when the bridge was all lit up different colours. On night before wedding I made use of the spa which I found to be very relaxing and would recommend it to anyone who stays. We all went for a meal at the bistro which was nice. As when we returned a married couple we had booked into a different room for the night of wedding, arriving late at night checking for the key for the door was a matter of second and when inside the room another corner plot there was a bottle of champagne waiting for us, all of my belongings from the other room I had previously were all there neatly in the sitting are of the huge room. I have stayed in lots of Malmaison’s around the country, this is one is closets in location to me but is my favourite on so far.

Room Tip: Upgrate to a suite, but large doubles on the river side are also fab.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
south london
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We had a short break in late February to discover Newcastle. We were anxious to see the Millennium Bridge and the Angel of the North and just get the flavour of a city we had never been to before. The hotel was at the foot of the Millennium bridge so we saw it in all its moods. The Staff were wonderfully encouraging, telling us when it was to rise and talking of its history. The bridges across the Tyne are so varied and exciting. The Staff at the hotel gave us maps and timetables and lots of local information. Our room was spacious and very comfortable and the food (breakfast and a dinner) was of a very high quality. Everywhere, we met friendliness and helpfulness. We really recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the bridge!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angusangel
Manchester
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel. Good decor. A bit dark. Mattress was a bit too firm for us. The bath was hard to get in and out of and the toilet was in a awkward spot next to the sink. Not great for elderly or chubby people. On the plus side, the standard double we stayed in had an ironing board and iron. The room itself was spacious and the location was great.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple