“lovely view”

Malmaison Newcastle
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Two night stay, the room was large and clean and the view amazing. We could hear the lift throughout the night but as the hotel was fairly quiet it wasn't really a problem. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the location fabulous - close to bars, shops and places to eat and a stones throw from the Sage and the Baltic. Breakfast was okay but not great and the purple decor a little oppressive. Parking in the local multi storey car park was easy and not too expensive. Overall a good stay but not cheap.

Room Tip: We had a fantastic view on the 6th floor but could hear the lift.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Malmaison Newcastle

Reviewed October 31, 2013

My first impressions of this hotel were good - right on the quayside across from the Tate and the Sage, and next to the Millennium Bridge. Check-in was friendly and efficient, and I was very pleased to find that I had a room at the front with a magnificent view of the river.
My room was spacious and clean with a large comfortable bed. The shower was a good 'drencher', and didn't flood the bathroom like I've had elsewhere!
The location on the Quayside is good, with many restaurants within easy walking distance. After a meal out I returned to a good night's sleep. The next morning breakfast was a superb selection of fruit, pastries, cereals, and yoghurts (I didn't feel like a cooked breakfast, although it looked good as well). Again, the staff were helpful and friendly, and made everyone feel welcome. They also spaced people out in the restaurants, rather than crowding them together as some hotels seem to do.
Overall, a good stay. I would definitely return here again next time I stay in Newcastle.

Room Tip: Go for a room at the front overlooking the river if you can.
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Astonishingly odd service at this self important, slightly tired, city centre sleepover in Newcastle. I was asked for a card to swipe on registering, its not normally something I have to do because my travel is for work and my bills are paid up front. I said no thankyou and was told, in quite a curt manner, that it was policy to take card imprints and charge £25 against your card, which would be refunded on departure.

I know a lot of hotels suggest this but none that I use ever say that I must do it. Quite frankly, I don't want to do it. Why should I? I am not going to remove items from the overpriced mini bar, I am a responsible person with a responsible job. So I said, again, no thanks. I was told ok, but we will have to remove the minibar from your room. This wasn't a blow, I would easily get over the chance of spending £3 on a 50p bag of crisps, besides Tesco Metro is only 5 minutes away. However, somebody coming up to the room (politely) and having to take away the contents of the fridge in a Morrisons carrier bag was just a bit strange. They were very embarrassed.

This one action leaves a lasting impression and is so far from the way to treat a customer that its untrue. These guys really don't get it. I have been staying in Indigo in Newcastle recently. They aim for a similar demographic and their rooms are 'boutiquey' newer and fresher. The service there is informal, intelligent and superb. The rooms come with a free, stocked soft drinks and snacks included, minibar. I wonder why that one is full and Mal Maison suddenly isn't.........

Room Tip: Try Indigo instead!!!!
2  Thank norrisbeak
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Malmaison Newcastle is a boutique hotel on the Quayside, nice area, close to nightlife & shops... Quite expensive to stay here but it seemed worth it for quality hotel at time of booking, however a few basic things were missing. Theres no bellman/concierge....reception staff having to to do everything. No robes/slippers in the room. Only basic supplies in the room and no shampoo which i discovered in the shower. Room service menu is good but food was quite bland and tasteless, the meat was undercooked after being promised it'd be well done - and its expensive which is annoying when you get bland/undercooked food. There is no parking however there is a multi storey across the road which has allocated spaces. The room was nice and spacious altho bathroom was small. The reception area altho very modern is quite dog-eared and borderline shabby. The bar area is also modern but becoming shabby and clearly has a very casual dress code - track suits and the like seem to be welcome! I had an ok time at this hotel but it's not as refined as i expected.

Room Tip: I didn't get a choice where to have room!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night whilst visiting family. I had booked a superior bridge view room and was not disappointed! The room looked out directly over the Millennium Bridge which was beautiful when lit up on a night. The room itself fit in with the hotel's dark, purple theme but was spacious enough with a very large bed. The bathroom had everything we needed, although the rain shower wasn't as powerful as it looked. There is no parking for the hotel but there is a multi-storey car park 5 minutes walk away (next to the Travelodge) which is £5 for 24 hours. As for location, the hotel is perfect exploring for the Quayside and within walking distance of the centre of town (can easily get a bus also). There is a lovely restaurant called Gusto less than 30 seconds walk from the hotel and a drink in the Pitcher and Piano (opposite the hotel) is quite nice. For the right room price I would be more than happy to stay at Malmaison again.

Room Tip: A bridge view room is worth paying a little bit extra.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were treated to a night at Malmaison Newcastle by my husbands son and daughters in law for a special birthday. The location is lovely on the Riverside. The front desk when we arrived very helpful. The room super clean, bedding, white cotton, excellent quality. Down duvet and pillows. There was a kettle, coffee and tea etc. Also a safe in the room. the breakfast was amazing, it cost a bit extra for a cooked one, but included in our stay was the buffet breakfast which had a massive choice. the home made granola is not to be missed.Car parking in multi story opposite which was include for your stay.
there is also a nice Weatherspoons pub a minutes walk on the riverside which is handy. There was a artisan market on the riverside on sunday morning selling food and crafts which we enjoyed. Newcastle is a wonderful city, the local people friendly and helpful, loads of places to visit. We highly recommend Malmaison.

Room Tip: We were overlooking a multi story car park which was quiet but not very pretty. The rooms with views...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed 2 nights fro business. The hotel was fine, I found the bed a bit too hard and pillows a bit too soft, but no big deal. Overall a good hotel, with excellent location just by the river and the millennium bridge. walking distance to restaurants, bar and if in town for business, you can still go for a walk in the evening and get a nice view.
I personally found the place a bit too...dark. it was hard to get light enough in the room in the morning and it was a bit noisy. I believe a lot of business travelers stay here, and as of 6 AM I constantly heard the noise of showers and suitcases being dragged in the corridors. Prices in the bar/minibar very reasonable and personnel friendly, as "normally".
Doesn't really manage to be that "different" as it tries to be, and therefore the french voice in the elevator becomes just....weird.

Room Tip: river view is nice I assume, so ask for that if you can.