“Excellent location”

Malmaison Newcastle
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Fantastic location requested a room with a view and were not disappointed, Staff were extremely friendly and helpful., Room was clean and the decor was nice. Dined out so cant pass comment on the quality of the food. Overall would recommend stopping here and will definately return

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed here for the second time on the 17th August 2013 and were impressed once again with the Malmaison.

The location is brilliant, you are situated right on the Quayside, next to the Millennium Bridge, and many of the rooms overlook the Quayside giving a fantastic view. There are bars and restaurants nearby, for example the Pitcher and Piano is just outside the hotel and is a great place to have a drink overlooking the river.

The rooms are very nice at the Malmaison, either the best or amongst the best you can get in Newcastle. They have a modern and luxurious feel, are clean, equipped with a flat screen tele (which has a really good selection of channels), great selection of toiletries in the bathroom, as well as a fridge, safe and mini bar.

On a slightly negative note, the corridors are a bit dark and you can even struggle to see where you're going slightly if you've been in bright light before hand!

The bar area is a very nice place to sit and have a drink, with a lovely ambience. The prices in here are on the expensive side, however if you stay in a nice hotel this is to be expected.

Overall, this is one of the best hotels in Newcastle, and having stayed in most of them, the Malmaison is a great choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. The higher up you are, the more chance you have of an unblocked view of the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel M
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I booked to stay overnight to celebrate my husbands birthday. I took advantage of the option to upgrade on arrival subject to availability....and I am so pleased I did. We stayed in HMS Richmond and it did not disappoint, the room was fantastic. I was really impressed with the birthday card and cocktail vouchers especially for my husband. It was a tiny detail but a lovely touch.

As an additional surprise I booked my husband to receive a treatment in the spa, which he said was superb.

Our booking included our evening meal and I've got to say the service from start to finish was first class. From the glass of champagne for my husband (with a lit candle on the stem) to the friendly staff, not to overlook the wonderful food. We had a perfect stay.....until check out.

Upon check out I was greeted by an abrupt member of staff who did not attempt to be friendly at all. I paid my bill and proceeded to leave however I decided to check the bill before I left. I was surprised to see a number of items which I had been overcharged for such as the spa treatment and room extras. My biggest concern was the fact I had been charged £10 for parking despite parking being free!
I returned to the desk to be "greeted" by the same staff member who offered no apology, simply took my name and number and advised I would receive a call back later that afternoon.

I waited until 9pm that evening without any call, so I called the hotel to be greeted by a very helpful staff member who advised that the man dealing with my issue was busy however she would ask for a call back ASAP. In the end the helpful lady called me 30 mins later and resolved it all for me.....so why couldn't this have been done originally.

I must say it has left a bitter taste and despite all the positives it always seems to be the negative which influences a decision to return, which is such a shame.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MelandDan
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We opted for the bubbles and dreams package...a bargain at £99 as it included a lovely room over looking the Millennium Bridge, a glass of fizz and a continental breakfast (which could be upgraded to a cooked breakfast for just £2). The room was a really good size and came with everything you could ask. The rooms were clean, beds were very comfortable and the shower was fab! The staff were really friendly and went out of their way to ensure brilliant service was provided.
Having gone for a mid-week break some friends we wanted to check out the Spa, we were disappointed to find this was just a very small sauna room and a relaxation room (however we were basically told that this was for paying clients who were waiting for their treatments), needless to say we therefore didn't bother using the spa.
All in all a lovely stay and we will be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2013

stayed recently for one night at the aforementioned hotel and it was a mixed bag of good, bad, and indifferent. the room had wet cushions on the bed, there was solid waste in the loo,which had been left unnoticed,and then to cap it all my malburger in the grill was served uncooked which gave me a most uncomfortable night. when l discussed these issues at checkout the receptionist was as blase as its possible to be. however on the plus side l received an e'mail offering me and my wife a free one night stay at a time to be arranged in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located on the quayside opposite the Millennium Bridge.
Check in was swift and our room was amazing with a wonderful view of the bridge.
Our reservation included breakfast and evening meal. The evening meal was from MalMaison's Summer classic menu and represented good value for money.
My one criticism was the lack of wifi. We complained that this did not appear to be working and rather than it being looked into by the staff, we were given a number to call to get through to Technical Support! Not what I would expect a paying guest to do. Clearly there was an issue with the wifi that evening as all was up and running the next day.
That aside, the Malmaison standard is always good and we would definitely stay again.
The Millennium Bridge rises at 12 each day and is worth watching.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My boyfriend treated me to a 2 night stay here for my birthday and I was one happy girl when we arrived at the hotel. We had a room on the third floor which was huge, fully equipped with tea and coffee (replenished each morning) gorgeous toiletries to take away, ironing board and hairdryer. We also found 2 free cocktail vouchers compliments of the hotel for my birthday. The bar area was gorgeous with an amazing view overlooking the millennium bridge, A vast range of cocktails and complimentary nuts/olives, with the service to match. We were shown into dinner and despite paying for DBB we decided to eat off the al a carte menu (as there was more choice) which we got a £19.95 supplement per person. Food was gorgeous, could definitely have eaten it all over again!
Would have loved to have stayed an extra day as we never got chance to use the gym or spa.
The hotel was in a great location with a few bars and restaurants nearby along the quayside and only a 10 minute walk into the centre of Newcastle.
The only only slight niggle I had was that we booked a table in the restaurant for 8pm both nights and were not seated until 8.30/8.45 as service had over run both nights. Both bar and restaurant staff however were very apologetic and the food was definitely worth the wait! Also on check out we had to pay £20 for parking and after asking for a break down of our bill (as we believed it to be extremely high) reception realised that another couples meal had been placed onto our bill, which was refunded straight away! Overall an amazing stay and we would love to work our way round the malmaison chain! Thank to all staff for an amazing stay!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple