“It's lovely, thoughtful & welcoming. A little more attention to detail & it'd be perfect!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malmaison Newcastle

Malmaison Newcastle
west midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We booked a room with a view of the Millenium Bridge - we could almost reach out & touch it, never mind enjoy the lighting! The best thing about Malmaison is the thought that clearly goes into staff training and comfort. It's all very pleasant and welcoming.

The room was great - spacious, huge and comfortable bed, lots of space. Good bathroom with decent separate shower & deep, long bath. The wardrobe is a bit odd - teeny & contains a fridge (filling half the shelf space) & an ironing board (reducing all the hanging space, not just a section). I know the natives are fameous for their distain of coats, but visitors need the odd hook or hanging space! The room was very quiet (and we did have neighbours) - you know how most hotels have a distant noise of a lift or a clatter down a corridor? There was no disturbance and the very thick curtains kept out light & noise.

The service in the bar was very sharp, despite it being busy. Staff kept track of customers waiting & their tabs & ran a table service as well as the bar, both including hot beverages, however late. I was impressed to be offered fresh lime juice for my lime & soda. Atmosphere chilled, we are rather older than the average age but did not feel at all out of place.

My only criticism is the breakfast service - it's a bit random. Lovely staff, but there doesn't seem to be a system & there is a long wait for tea & coffee, despite it being offered & ordered on greeting. We weren't the only ones to comment on check out & we did appear to be listened to with concern so I am confident they will fix this, don't let it put you off (hey, check on booking?!). They lose the 5 spot "excellent" they would have got for service....

Room Tip: The view of the bridge is lovely & worth the extra!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

the hotel was nice from the outside, and the inside decor was nice. it took a while to get checked in, and i found it to be very dark ( not sure if this was part of the "ambiance") but getting ready to go out was difficult as i could barely see what i was doing. Also the beds were really really firm. It was a nice hotel but i wouldn't stay there again for the price.

Room Tip: ask for one with a big window!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

me and my partners simon stayed one night at this hotel. totally amazing loved every minute of it. we decided to have a night in get room service the whole works and couldnt complain food was good mini bar was well stocked.
room had an amazing view it was a great way to celebrate our ten anniversary
we got the room for £79 which for the standard of hotel i think this was really resonable especially as it was friday 15th feb which was valentines weekend
want to stay here again
and view was amazing over looking millenium bridge

Room Tip: get room with millenium bridge view pay slighly more but worth it
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have stayed here quite a few times and am pleased that it maintains its standards for location - I always book a room with a view of the swing bridge, or more correctly The Gateshead Millenium Bridge which is a wonderful light show at night - quality and friendliness. Dinner and breakfast are both tasty with a good choice of dishes available and the restaurant has been improved by the cream coloured seats with red piping giving it a bit of a lift colourwise. The bar continues to be as frenetic as ever but service is swift and friendly - as it is throughout the hotel. I stayed in room 621 which has a double aspect over the Tyne, both to the front over the bridge and also downstream for about a half mile. Also the bathroom had a window allowing natural light which I appreciated. Good vfm in my opinion.

Room Tip: Rooms looking over the Tyne because the view of the bridge, joggers, buskers etc. is just so enjoyab...
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

My partner and I have stayed here on business twice now, and have enjoyed our stay. I think we just stayed in standard rooms, but they are very spacious. Bathrooms are a little tight but that was no major issue.

Rooms were clean, breakfast was nice, the room had everything you would need although I couldn't see the TV from the bed on either of our stays, partly because the rooms are so large and the TV's are so small!

When I am back in Newcastle and looking for a budget stay which has all the luxury of a boutique hotel without the high boutique price, I will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Front facing is nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for my wife's birthday, she has always wanted to stay at the Malmaison so I organised it as a special treat for her birthday weekend, we live locally but I wanted to treat her and have a night out with friends inNewcastle without the worry of getting home in taxi we could have a romantic stroll down the quayside and walk across millennium bridge.
I decided to book a suite as an extra surprise but I wish I hadn't bothered, our room door (704) was right next to a function room. We checked in early afternoon and my wife and I wanted to relax and watch 6 nations rugby which we love, turned on the tv and no BBC1 I contacted reception, they said they would sort it out, basically to cut a long story short they didn't and never really chased it up. Not a good start but hey let's give it a chance, so we couldn't watch tv so we looked at the view to which point we noticed our curtains had holes all over them sort of like cigarette burns, shower half fixed to ceiling, terrible decay of paintwork on windows and to read one of the previous reviews a total clean out of room, we had dust everywhere, the carpet need hoovering it blatantly hadn't been done and web like dust in the corners of the ceiling.
So no TV we decided to go out for a drink and come back and relax before going out, upon our return a function was ongoing on, the function room door was tied open, guests and children were standing outside our room door, laughing, screaming.
When I complained about this I was told the door was opened as a few guests were hot, erm ever heard of Air Con??
As a saving grace I would of given this review 2 stars but the duty manager took the time out to have long chat with me about the issues I had.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed overnight for a belated Valentines on Saturday the 16th of Feb, we had the package which included a 4 course meal and breakfast the next day. Both the evening meal and breakfast in the morning were delicious, and the service was brilliant too! The room was lovely and over looked the Quayside. All off the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. It was such a treat and we both really enjoyed ourselves. With a bottle of Prosecco with the meal and the above it came to £400, so not cheap but worth it! You get what you pay for here!

The room was immaculate, however I have left the rating "Average" for cleanliness as the glasses in the bathroom were sticky and dusty.

2 Thank Jessica J