“business trip” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN Gibside Hotel
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“business trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed at the hotel while on business. The hotel is ideally located and easy to find in a very nice place called Wickham just next to Newcastle city centre. The rooms are large and spacious and quite modern. there are plenty of eating facilities in the hotel which are very nicely furnished the food is lovely and the portions are huge. There is also plenty car parking on site and near the hotel. All the staff I came across at the hotel couldn't do enough for me so I definitely recommend this hotel for business or pleasure

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We used the Gibside hotel for our daytime and evening reception to celebrate our wedding with family and friends. Everything was amazing and the staff at the hotel helped make our day extra special - special mention to Paco for all his help and support during the day. If your looking at wedding reception venue's i would defiantly check this place out you wont be disappointed. Great rooms and food was fantastic.

Peter and Anthony

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anthony G
Suki45, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Gibside Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Peter and Anthony
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review, and we are delighted that you both enjoyed your special day .
Thank you too for your kind comments regarding our staff and food - I will make sure they are passed on to Paco and all of his staff .
Redcar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed in April 2013.Looked it up on the web first. It was easy to find. Parking at rear in public car park that cost £1 per day, the area is nice and there is a small shopping mall nearby .Receptionist was very helpful and polite. Room was excellent, nice big comfortable bed, clean room, good wardrobes ,TV was modern, and wifi was free.Bathroom was very nice with good towels and a heated towel radiator. Room was warm and quiet. Very clean hotel.We will be recommending the Gibside to our friends .It does exactly what it says on their website

Room Tip: Room 405 is nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ghetto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Good night, good staff (fit reception lady at night) deluxe room is nice, but too singles put together, uncomfey, especially if your at it ;) only 2 things wrong, 1. The bed situation 2. NO BUBBLES FOR TE BATH!!!!!!!!
Cheers the now

Room Tip: Don't sniff the bible
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Colne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

In Newcastle on business and hotel booked by employer. I checked website and on arrival was not dissatisfied at all. The food and service in the paco restaurant was excellent. Service throughout was very friendly, well it is the North East, Yes I wasn't paying but would not be objected if I were. 3star rated but delivered 5 star quality

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Suki45, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Gibside Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Rachel
Thank you so much for your very kind comments - we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you enjoyed your meal in Paco's Restaurant . I'm so pleased our staff were helpful and courteous , and we do hope to have the pleasure of seeing you back at the Gibside Hotel in the future .
Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Due to a bereavement my wife and I needed a cheap, convenient and quiet hotel as we journeyed 335 miles from Kent to Wallsend. The room was discounted but there was no mention on the website for the extra cost of breakfast. The staff were very good to me as my Aunt had just died in the afternoon and we received an upgrade to our standard room (Thank you for your kindness). The food in the restaurant was excellent however the house wine was very rough! Our stay was a mixture of standards. The bed was excellent and we both had a quiet nights sleep. The town of Whickam stuck on a steep hill is very run down. The food in the restauarant was excellent, but nearly £13 for a cooked breakfast and nearly £9 for continental is far too steep. The coffee the first morning was stewed. I liked the bathroom but there is a lack of attention to detail: two people staying for 2 nights and 1 towel! No extra soaps given. The extractor fan did not work.
So to sum up: staff were friendly but the hotel is disorganised and not 4 star. The village might be ideal for the metrocentre and the A1 is nearby but not a great place to start a holiday exploring the North east (there are about 10 car parking spaces only)!
I would not book here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel . I'm so pleased you appreciated your up grade to a Delux room , I do apologise for the towel situation, our policy is a bath sheet and large hand towel for each guest - I imagine that the room had originally been set for single occupancy, and unfortunately when you were up graded - the additional towels were not put into you room - if you had let reception know we would have got them to you immediately. I know that wine is very subjective , we have been trying different suppliers recently , - its a very personal thing and many of our customers drink our house wine on a regular basis and enjoy it .
I'm sorry you thought that Whickham was run down - it is actually a very historic village - but sadly has suffered the same fate as most hight streets in the country , with shop closures .
Again, apologies for your coffee at breakfast -our breakfast staff would have been happy to replace the coffee for you had you mentioned it .
As far as parking is concerned, we have about 12 spaces immediately outside of the hotel - but immediately opposite the hotel - just on the other side of the road, is a public car park with about 200 spaces - which is free of charge from 5.30 pm - 9.00 am , otherwise the parking charge for the day is £1.00 , or 20 pence per hour - which we don't feel is excessive.
Midlands, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in an executive room which was reasonable, dinner and breakfast was good, but far too expensive, breakfast was £12:50 which I think was over the top.

Decided to order a double gin and tonic as house doubles were offered for £3 but when I checked out I was charged £6, was told by reception that house doubles offer only applied to vodka which annoyed me.

She offered to call the manager but I didn't want to make a fuss over a couple of quid but it soured my stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Beamish Park Hotel
Beamish Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Marley Hill
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Me...
#17 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre
BEST WESTERN New Kent Hotel
BEST WESTERN New Kent Hotel
#50 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to BEST WESTERN Gibside Hotel? Share your experiences!