This has to be the worst hotel I've stayed in it shouldn't even be called a "hotel" more like a knocking shop up the side of an ally way next to a lap dancing club.
At first view me and my friend weren't too sure of the hotel as its out the way up the side of an ally with about 20 stairs to climb, we had 2 heavy suitcases to carry after travelling for hours - it wasn't ideal but we thought we would give the hotel a chance maybe it'd be better inside. we couldn't be more wrong!
Soon as we entered the reception area we immediately felt intimidated and frightened by two old men sat staring at us whilst we checked in. Still giving it a chance, we checked in and got given the key for the room, we were on floor 2.
As we walked round to the lift area we see it is out of service and we had to again drag 2 heavy cases up the stairs, never got asked if we wanted any help or anything all we got was two weird guys staring at us. What we did realize is that the lift was filled with junk.
Took us a good 10/15 mins to get up the stairs as I was pulling my friends case to because she is pregnant. We get to floor 2 and the only way it can be described is a seedy disgusting horror movie. We felt unsafe and frightened before we even entered the room. Not to mention there was a huge crack in one of the doors as if someone had put a hammer or knife through it.
Once in the room we immediately didn't want to be there many things were wrong:
1. a crack in the window, causing an extreme draft with not a very nice view, brick wall.
2. the windowsill was sticky and disgusting
3. the carpet was sticky and moldy/full of stains
4. the plug socket had a huge crack in it, could have been electrocuted
5. the windows had a sticky substance on them, don't even want to know what it was
6. the toilet pan had hairs all around and so did the bath
7. the disgusting smell as soon as we entered the room.
We physically couldn't stay here, two young girls in this hotel was far from safe.
Luckily we booked into another hotel called Sleeperz which is the best one I've stayed in by far.
After paying £49 for a room, we didn't even stay in and we didn't even take our jackets off or use any of the facilitates we were refused a refund due to some "company policy" rubbish.
The reception lady was so rude, she didn't even care that we weren't staying or asked if she could be of any help all she could say was "all hotels in newcastle are the same with stag do's etc" which they aren't! Once we came down the stairs to leave there was about 15 men standing checking in all watching us leave, obviously staying there to go to the lap dancing club. That shook us and we couldn't wait to get out.
Once outside i almost tripped down the stairs then noticed there was a bit of marble hanging off the stair case. So dangerous.
Would go as far as saying this place should be shut down completely it is a sad excuse for a "hotel" the photos on the website are far from what the actual place looks like.
Its made out to be this nice hotel when really its not, its more like a knocking shop for guys to take unfortunate girls back to. Disgusting.
If you were looking to catch an STI by sitting on the bed sheets or wanted to be near a seedy lap dancing club then this hotel is for you otherwise i wouldn't waste my time.
I will not be stopping until I get a reply from the manager regarding my refund.
go to SLEEPERZ hotel instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Surtees Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Surtees Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne