“Perfect for a lads weekend”
Review of Surtees Hotel

Surtees Hotel
Reading, England, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a lads weekend”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Located right in the city centre, the hotel was ideally positioned as everywhere we went (pubs, bars and St James Park) were in walking distance.

The layout of the hotel was weird but nothing wrong with our room (it was too big if anything!) with the only let down being that the windows were not double glazed so it could be a bit noisy. Also special mention to the staff as they were very accommodating given how late we arrived due to all the snow.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Greek first
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I booked two nights for new year. The hotel is in a great location if you want somewhere close to nightlife. However, when I saw my room, it was disgusting. There were water marks on the ceiling which looked like they had been there for some time, the area by the window was filthy, not just a bit of dust but dirt and grime all over the carpet had crap all over it and to top it off there weren't any towels so I had to (embarrassingly) knock on someone else's door to ask for a spare completely naked and dripping wet!
Luckily, as the night went on for so long the room was used more for a storage space than a bedroom.
All of that said, the girl at reception was more than accommodating, they didn't have any other rooms but she refunded me the price of one night and let me pay half price with free breakfast, which I was too late for anyway, for the other.
To sum up, book if you're having a party, don't book if you plan on a long stay.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Sailormac
SurteesHotel, Manager at Surtees Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review, and i am happy to hear that members of our Reception team were so helpful.

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise for the problems you encountered during your stay and to let you know we have taken this on board and are carrying out a full and thorough repair project throughout all of our rooms.

Thank you again for your Review.

kirkham
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Bought a two night stay via a deal - if I had of paid full price I would of been angry.
The hotel website is misleading - the rooms did not look like the pictures:(
You had to park nearby at a cost of £11 per day:(
If you stay for a couple of days you don't get room service however we were asked if we needed clean towels, coffee etc and this was left outside our room, quite bizarre.
Breakfast was of a higher standard the second day.
Plus side the hotel is central:)
The bathroom ceiling had mould on it with the paint peeling off it was disgusting:(
I won't be staying again:(

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear about the issues during your stay. I have spoken to the staff involved and apologise for this. In regards to the repair work for your room we have now implemented a full repair programme to all of our rooms to correct these issues.

Unfortunately we do advertise as having no car park, with it being a city centre hotel space is of a premium.

Once again thank you for your Review

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Smack in the center of the city, this hotel seems to be trying to be something it's not. Stayed for one night whilst attending a graduation ceremony. Very well situated for restaurants and bars but it was well populated by drunken teenagers and it was only Tuesday night ! You can park in the multi storey behind it but the clock kicks in at 8am and the traffic warden pounces by 8:15. You can buy one in the evening so you don't have to rush out in the morning. Didn't eat here - booked a breakfast but after sitting for 20 minutes and being ignored, I had to go - smelt nice though !
This hotel would be OK for a single night during the week (£40s pretty cheap) - the room was actually quite nice, but I would avoid it on a Friday / Saturday unless you're on a stag / hen do.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ralphandbola
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I would like to firstly like to address the problem you encountered during breakfast, this is not how our breakfast staff usually behave and would like to apologise for that.

In regards to your comment about Friday and Saturday nights I can completely understand where you are coming from, as you can imagine being a city centre hotel in one of the most popular cities in the UK for Stag and Hen do's, along with many other hotels in the area weekends tend to be one of our busiest periods.

Kinnegad, Westmeath, Ireland
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Just returned home from my stay at the Surtees hotel, when we arrived I was completely dreading my stay judging by the front of the hotel, multistory car park, bins & an alley where it looked like homeless people were sleeping! When I got to the room I was pleasantly surprised, looked to be clean & bathroom was lovely! Unfortunately when we were going to bed that night the room was freezing as there was no heating on, it was actually colder in the room than outside, it didn't help that the duvet was extremely thin! The hotel doesn't look the best but it isn't all bad, the FEMALE receptionists were really nice & friendly but the man that was there the 1st night was very rude. The location is brilliant but I would consider staying somewhere different next time I'm in newcastle!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am glad that our receptionists were so welcoming and friendly and I have spoken to the Male member of staff involved.

We are so sorry you encountered problems with your heating during your stay and as such are having a brand new boiler installed within the next week, I am only sorry this wasn't in place for your your stay.

Once again that you for your review

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Good at the price. Stayed one night. I think I had the attic room which was very warm that weekend. Can be noisy with the sound of trains on the bridge overhead.
Although its an older hotel its decoration is reasonably modern and clean. Nice bright breakfast area and friendly staff.
At the price I'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, It is always a pleasure to hear that a guest has enjoyed their stay with us. I am glad you found our prices reasonable and our bedrooms to your taste.

We hope to see you again soon

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here on a break, Was right in the city centre, Rooms were clean and nicely decorated, Breakfast was nice too, Staff where friendly.
Only don side was room was quite hot but did'nt sleep very well as right on the train line so pretty noisy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family