“BOOKED ONLINE ???? PHONE UP AND CONFIRM !!!”
Review of Kenilworth Hotel

Kenilworth Hotel
Llanrwst, north wales
“BOOKED ONLINE ???? PHONE UP AND CONFIRM !!!”
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I booked and paid for a room at this hotel in January for the great north run weekend,,,,,,should have read the previous review regarding this weekend and over booking. We arrived late afternoon only to find we had no room as the hotel insisted that they had not received any notification of my booking from Laterooms.com.....and we weren't the only ones this happened to this weekend at this hotel !!
The management tried to find another room in another hotel but we were told none was available, he offered us "an apartment just round the corner" and fair play he drove us there........What a joke !!! The apartment turned out to be what I would call student accommodation in a shared house...An en-suite bedroom and shared kitchen........ All filthy and dirty, rubbish under the bed, clothes and food in cupboards he had us in a catch 22 situation we needed a room he knew this and took advantage.
I was annoyed with Laterooms.com so phoned them up to find out how to make a formal compliant only to be told that they had sent by fax the booking on the 2 january and they had the time it was sent, they blamed the hotel saying it was their administration error.....so both sides where blaming the other.
I did tell the management that he had us over a barrel and it was out of order.....he apologized and told us there was nothing else available but as a sign of goodwill he would charge us less...but of course I had already paid so his suggestion was I claim it back from Laterooms, in the end we came to an agreement that he gave us (2) a meal on the house, bottle of wine and a couple of drinks.
On the plus side the staff here are friendly, the food was ok , breakfast was very filling
This hotel seems to have this problem with online booking so please confirm your booking with the hotel after receiving confirmation from your booking agent...I would not like this situation to happen to anyone else especially on the great north run weekend when hotel rooms are scarce and there is no alternative accommodation.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2010

My boyfriend & I stayed at the Kenilworth, for 3 nights over the August bank holiday. we stayed in room 9 which is a larger room with breakfast included.
We were well looked after and nothing was too much trouble.
Kath and Bertie were great. Even helped give directions with a map to go walking on the Quayside, & recommended places to visit day & night.
Even though certain interior stood out from the newer, for example old doors on the rooms which could be nicer& not squeak, with better looking locks. we really could not fault this hotel for what it offers, especially when most people just need a base for when visiting Newcastle.
The free hotel car park is small but serves its purpose with CCTV.
When I was looking for a hotel in Newcastle it was very difficult to find a hotel of which had a car park on site that you did not have to pay over the odds for, & some of the other hotels that do not have car parks require you to park your car in a public car/ multi storey car park, for a fee of £10.50 for 24 hrs!!
Below the hotel is the Spanish tapas restaurant, this was open until 9pm & even though we never ate there, it always had custom. I found out from an article that the restaurant had actually had a double page spread in the good food magazine, speaking of it's excellence.
Before going to Newcastle I had already had a look online of places to visit. We went to Marsdens Bay at sunderland, St Marys light house at Whitley Bay, Metro Centre at Gateshead ( make sure you have comfy shoes on for the shopping centre you will walk miles as it is so big!)
We went to a lovely Chinese all you can eat buffet restaurant called LAU'S 202 & wow it was fab. £13pp even has desserts including a chocolate fountain, and drinks are cheap too. It is on Newgate street, Newcastle Upon Tyne.

We would definitely stay at the Kenilworth again & recommend it & the places we visited to others.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Pontefract
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I stayed at this hotel in August 2010. Check in was friendly but the full amount had to be paid there and then, without sight of the room. On entering the room there was an overpowering musty smell, which hit us as soon as we walked in and was constant during our stay. The room was small with barely space to walk around the bed. The hot water supply was intermittent. It later became apparent that hot water was only available at certain times of the day, but this was not notified at check in. When we tried to inform staff of this, there was no hotel representative available, we finally found a waiter, who turned on the hot water, but even so it took 40 minutes before it was hot enough. At the price we paid,(£75 per night) I would expect that a basic commodity such as hot water would be available at all times. DVD's were advertised as being available, however as the manager was not there, they were locked away and no other staff could access them. There was no-one available at check out, when I had intended to raise the issues, however after ringing for 10 minutes, and still no response, we decided it was time to get out of Dodge. Will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mort24

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Rugby
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I stayed one night as I was on business in Newcastle. Room was not great, but I had not expected any luxury for £50/night. However at 2.30 am I was woken up by a guy banging on my door and shouting to let him in, he claimed to be the manager. This carried on for a while and I eventually had to call the police. It woudl appear the hotel is left unattended by the manager at night, and a stranger had made his way into the hotel from the street. There are no phones in the rooms, if I had not had my mobile with me to call the police this could have had a very unpleasant ending. It's not a safe place, and when I told the manager the next day he did not seem to care, it seems to be a 'normal' event here. Stay away from this place if you don't want to get mugged.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
sarahhemy, Owner at Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
We strongly disagree with the content of this review and wish to add our own comments.
The management and staff at the Kenilworth take the safety and wellbeing of all guests seriously and we strongly refute the accusation that this is an unsafe place to stay.
Whilst we regret any inconvenience caused to this guest, we do conceed that occasionally, as with all hotels, a guest may mistakenly try to open the wrong door and we believe this to be what happened in this case. The accusation that this was a outsider who walked into the hotel is pure speculation and highly unlikely as all keys are held securely within the hotel and all doors firmly shut at night. We also have a hotel porter on duty every night and he was in fact in contact with this guest on the night in question- we never leave the hotel unattended.
In response to his apparent dissatisfaction with his room, this room has recently ( 2 weeks ago) benefitted from new furnitureand new curtains as part of an ongoing programme of maintenance. He was also upgraded to a double room although a single room was booked free of charge.
We can assure all guests that we do care about all aspects of their safety and comfort and strive to maintain the highest levels of service at all times.
Mancehster
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I stayed here with my partner who was travelling on business and I found the hotel to be very comfortable and the staff welcoming. I left my jacket behind in one of the wardrobes and Sarah at the hotel was very helpful and sent it back to me as soon as i had emailed her about it. The room we stayed in had recently been refurbished and was very comfortable and clean. There is also a lovely little tapas bar downstairs worth a try :-)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Milton Keynes
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We stayed at the Kenilworth Hotel for two nights, was a group of nine girls on a hen do. From the moment we arrived to when we left the staff were ever so helpfull. Breakfast in the morning was excellent, the bar man/waiter/tourist information i think his name was Phil, could not be more attentive. Always checking if we needed any more coffee/tea at breakfast and the cooked breakfast was very good.
The rooms were great, fresh linen and towels daily. Nicely decorated and clean. Great location too, lots of nightlife around. Needed to get a cab to the centre which between a group didnt work out too expensive.
Overall, couldnt find much fault with this Hotel, for a two star Hotel it was fab.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2010

During my stay at Kenilworth I found the staff to be fantanstic, very friendly and our every need was met. The welcome was excellent, greeted by a lovely manager and the bar staff were also equally as nice, giving us tips on where to eat, drink etc... The rooms were on the top floor and they were fantastic (although when pissed stairs are a mission lol), very spacious, very clean, well stocked, airy and suited us just perfect.

On the last day though our lock broke and we did report it but it wasnt fixed while were were there!! We had breakfast and dinner at the hotel, which was very nice, quick service at breaky, but slighlty slower in the evening which is understandable as it was a saturday night. Food was lovely and we werent rushed in anyway. The location of the hotel was also good, alhough in the package deal i do think they should of made us aware how much taxi's cost and how long it takes to walk as we were not prepared for this. The outside seating area was lovely, spacious and the bar man was very obliging to help us with our drink choices. I was really impressed with the free parking, again could of told us in advance about where parking was located instead of on arrival, welcoming staff made our expericnce excellent and our bride to be had a fab time :-) highly recommened (great idea to have a back entrance for 24 hour access)

• Stayed July 2010