“Let's manage some expectations.”
Review of Kenilworth Hotel

Kenilworth Hotel
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Let's manage some expectations.”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

To be clear from the start: this is a two-star hotel. I don't know what a hotel has to do to be given two-star status, but I do know that the star rating only reflects the features and facilities, and not things like the friendliness of the staff or the tastiness of the breakfast. So within the two star rating there is bound to be a huge range of quality.

This is a good quality two-star hotel. It did not discernibly have a gym, nor was 24-hour room service offered. This is neither a Marriott, nor a Hilton; if these are the hotels you're hoping for then I can sincerely recommend the Marriott and the Hilton. This review will assess the hotel in the context of it being neither.

My room (#11, in the attic) was clean, well-presented and although it was relatively small the space was well utilised and it didn't feel pokey. The shower was fine, and the shower room was equipped with complimentary soap and shampoo.

The room itself had a huge television for the size of room, the single bed and a leather sofa that appeared to convert to a double bed. The bed was comfortable; the room was warm. There was a writing desk or dressing table, a full-length mirror, and a trouser press on the landing for communal use.

I'm not sure who the staff I met were; they may have been the owners. A man checked me in; he was very friendly. A woman took the key from me in the morning; she was very friendly too.

The bar and restaurant downstairs seemed nice and although I ate elsewhere, a friend local to the area said that the restaurant was well regarded.

The area seems nice, too, with a scattering of independent shops and plenty of bars and restaurants. There was some noise from outside at around 10pm; I can't imagine it'd be a problem unless you are a very light sleeper.

Minor negative points include a creaky door at the top of the stairs (drop of oil would solve), the absence of a hook in the bathroom, the fact that the bed was against the wall with the television such that you couldn't watch telly from bed and the fact that the sky light didn't open (presumably for health and safety reasons).

I was staying here on business in the city centre and only stayed here because city centre hotels were booked out (owing the the presence of a certain Mr. Springsteen) but would happily stay again.

Room Tip: I'd be tempted to ask for the second floor in case the bar gets lively
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bristol
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Stayed here over Easter for one night, thankfully thats all it was. While the price was reflective of it being two stars I dont think it should even have that rating. The single room was smaller than imagined, and the layout of the building is confusing. From my experience it seems as though they are more interested in running the bar area than the guest part of their business, which admittedly does look very nice. I would much rather have stayed in a travelodge or similar. dont waste money, looks like there are much nicer hotels on osbourne road for a similar amount.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We had arranged to get married in a location in Hexham on the Tuesday after Easter, but our family and friends are nearly all based in the South, so we looked for a small hotel which would could use as a “meeting” point the day before. Nearly a year before we were up in Newcastle looking for a place and stumbled on the Kenilworth, the right size and location for what we needed, but more than that it had a great “fun” Family feeling, something which was also reflected on how flexible they were as a private hotel when we talked about what we were after, booking the whole hotel out for the day.

I want to be 100% honest here I had my reservations, but I should not have worried, I truly do not think that we would have had a better experience had we booked a much higher rated hotel. The service we received though out our stay (My Fiancée and I stayed from the Friday night) was of the highest standard from everybody in the hotel from bar staff to owner and there really was nothing that was too much trouble.

The rooms are basic, but clean and all have bathrooms and flat screen digital TVs. The included breakfasts were great, something that all of our guests commented on.

As part of stay we asked if the hotel could lay on a buffet for all the guests, just so that as they arrived through the day/Night they could know there would be food available. We asked for basic finger buffet food, but again the delivery from the Hotel was quite simply superb. There was a stunning selection of hot and cold food (Including a Chili that my Best man would not allow to be taken away even at midnight when everybody else had gone to bed), and a wonderful desert platter which included the unique Champagne Ice cream.

Everybody in the wedding party commented that they had a great time

I am lucky enough to travel quite extensively for my Job and I have stayed in many extremely nice hotels so have some ability to compare. This is a 2/3 Star hotel, with for us 5 star service.

Thank you to everybody at the hotel who made our stay and the lead up to our wedding a great one.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Moreton
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Come to the hotel not only do they have poor communication skills with one saying something and the other changing everything.. When I got to the room it was basic but ok, I went back to the room early in the evening and about 20.30 the doo unlocked and two hotel staff came in and said need to take spare bed, I said ok as I thought it was the camp bed on the floor beside the normal bed, but no they took the normal bed leaving me a rubbish folding bed to try and sleep on. Save your money go camping instead maybe better!

Room Tip: Buy a blow up bed!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank DiscoMoreton
Darlington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Lovely hotel with a real family run feel. The rooms were very modern and very clean. I would recomend this for people on a night out in Jesmond who are going to bed after midnight as there is a fab bar downstairs so could be a bit noisy up until then. The breakfast was fantastic and the staff were so helpful. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2011

OK by first impressions you would think this hotel to be a bit of a dive but i found it to be the oppisite. it has a good carpark round the back very comfy rooms with real good food served OK it is a pub with rooms at the end of the day which can get a bit noisy but if you want a good cheap hotel that offers a good standard of rooms and good food at an excellant price look no further it is not the ritz but very good for anyone who is on a business trip of overnighting in Newcastle on Tyne

Room Tip: Room 2 nice comfy bed
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2011

It was disconcerting walking in to this hotel as the reception area is the bar. The gentleman who booked me in was extremely helpful giving me a map a telling me how to get to the places I wanted to go to. The room was basic and clean although the decor a little dated. There was a plentiful supply of tea, coffee and milk and when we managed to exhaust these more was provided on request. The twin beds were extremely comfortable and the bathroom was, again a little dated, but clean and the over-bath shower powerful enough once the temperature had been sorted. The breakfast was tasty and well-cooked.
The hotel was further from the centre than we had anticipated but we travelled in on the bus the first day and by metro the second.

• Stayed November 2011