“nightlife inside a hotel!!!”

Premier Inn Newcastle City Centre (New Bridge Street) Hotel
SW Scotland
“nightlife inside a hotel!!!”
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Newcastle is famous for hen/stag parties and they fill this hotel!!! All hotels have a purpose so if you are looking for peace and quiet..... do not book this one!!! My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed the good humoured partying but its not to everyones taste!!
True premier inn style.... very clean, very compact but a great standard that cant be faulted. Dont be put off by the exterior... the inside is nice. Bar didnt shut until 5am. Great breakfast.... after the fire alarms had went off at 7.30am you knew the friers were on!!!
We were going to book in again but alas.... fully booked!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Cheddar, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2010

While I wouldn't say you can get excited about a stay at this hotel, it is large, comfortable and clean. At £60 room only it wasn't a bad price either for such a central location. After three nights I felt quite at ease here.

The bathroom is a good size - although I never will get used to the soap dispensers that you get in this class of hotel instead of individually wrapped soaps and little shampoo bottles - something I much prefer.

The bed is very comfortable as is the quilt and its crisp heavy white cotton cover. The foam (??) pillows are less comfortable, but I didn't check if they had alternatives such as feather.

Location is great, just a few minutes walk from the Monument metro station, the library and any number of better places to get breakfast or dinner than a hotel. I didn't eat here (I rarely do eat in hotels) but the bar seemed OK.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
epping
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Great location its within minutes walk to the centre,shops, train station etc
I must admit the hotel from the outside doesnt look very appealing and as you walk in the hotel looks a bit old it can do with some re deco but the rooms are fine the stuff are friendly and we slept well except when the cleaner try to get in on the sunday and woke us up at 7am but she probably didnt know as we change rooms as we had a small problem with our previous one it was something to do with the basin the plug was stuck and we couldnt use the basin and they couldnt change us room on that day as they were fully booked but hey they refund us the money for the sat so we only had to pay for the sunday and of course we were happy and that means that they do care about the people that stays in unlike other hotels I will recommend this hotel its easy to get there and its so close to everything and they are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 2, 2010

I was staying in the hotel for 3 days during a workshop in the university. Probably the best of the hotel is the location, few minutes walking to the center (Newcastle is not a huge city though). However, the building is rather old does not really look nice from outside. The rooms are quite ok, but rather small, including a tiny bathroom. On the plus side, the bed is quite comfortable and the room is clean.

The breakfast is good, several juices, eggs, toasts, croissants...., but horrible coffee, and poor service (some food was not being replaced after running out).

The service in the reception is standard, but my wife was trying to contact me via the reception and no one was picking up the phone!

In summary, do not expect a great hotel (it looks better in Internet than in reality), but it is ok if you plan to stay in NewCastle for a couple of nights and do not want to spend too much money. I believe there are far better hotels in NewCastle if you are willing to spend a bit more money.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Breakfast was exactly as advertised - plentiful and delicious. Cereal (6 varieties), toast (2 varieties), muffins (berry or chocolate), croissants, bacon, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, mushrooms, tomato, baked beans, yoghurt, fresh fruit salad, coffee, tea and juice (4 varieties). Also, as soon as we walked in the staff advised us we could also have poached eggs or boiled eggs or porridge cooked especially for us by the chef, on demand.

Our negative experience was with air conditioner in our room. Our room faced east, looking over the traffic circle. With the window closed, there was no noise. However, there was also no air movement. This was unexpectedly remedied at 6:07am one morning when the air conditioner turned itself on. Unfortunately, it was broken and made a loud clattering noise constantly, and it also rejected our attempts to turn it off. The staff were able to disconnect it at the power switch in the mains cupboard but it did leave the room rather warm for the time we spent there. This probably won't be a problem for anyone else - it's surprising for England to have warm weather!!!

It was surprising to find a shower in the bathroom advising the door needed to be kept closed or steam from the shower would set off the fire alarms. In a related note, when we checked in, there was another customer checking in who commented that the past time she had stayed, the entire hotel had needed to be evacuated in the middle of the night because someone had used a deodorant spray can in their room. It seems the smoke alarms in the rooms might need to be recalibrated to prevent that happening?

The room contained a queen bed, desk + desk chair, tub seat and a small table which the flat screen TV was fixed into (strangely, the TV was fixed directly into the little table, preventing it from being much use for anything else - wall mounting the TV would have been a better idea). The wardrobe consisted of four shelves and a hanging space but no door. There was no useful space for storing suitcases so they needed to kept on the floor near the bed.

The building itself looks rather plain but is well located, with easy access via a footbridge to Manors station for public transport, or the same footbridge to get to Northumbria university, or a couple of blocks in the other direction to get to the monument and shopping centre.

There is a "business centre" consisting of two PCs in the lobby (no printer) which charge 1 GBP per 10 minutes for internet access. Wifi had an excellent signal in the room but cost 5 GBP/day or 20 GBP/wk. I didn't connect so cannot comment on the speed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2010

We got the £29.00 room rate so I thought we were in for a poor experience, the hotel is OK and if its for one night I would recommend it, rooms are what you would expect from Premier inn, and the staff were good too. Location is great and a short walk from the town centre, The hotel bar is nothing to write home about and I would avoid it, I got a decent nights sleep until a van picking up bottles woke me about 05.30. Newcastle itself if brilliant, clean and tidy and full of friendly people. To sum up, stay here if its for one night but look elsewhere if you are staying any longer.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I went to the travel inn for a weekend away to visit friends. I'm not so sure I would stay here again. I think the parking is ridiulous and that you shouldn't pay for this as the rates of the rooms are pretty high. Secondly on our first night the electrics went in our room, finall fixed after an hour an complimentary drinks were served in the bar. Then what I thought would be a nice lay in on Sunday turned into a rubbish sleep and leaving at 7am. I understand stag and hen dos go to Newcastle a lot - I used to live there and been on many. Bur when u want a quiet weekend away centrally located why can't they put all stag dos etc on one level. We was up from 2.30 til 6.30 and ended up leaving at 7.30am! The woman did However on reception ask how the stay was and I did say "ok ish" and on the goodnight guarantee she refunded the full 2 nights stay as we never had one good nights rest there. RESULT! good location, friendly staff, but a poor hotel if you ask me the B&Bs in Jesmond are nicer and around the same price and offer breakfast included. And only a short taxi or metro service away parking is free in jesmond hotels as they give u free permits :)

• Stayed June 2010