“A Beautiful Hotel!”

Rosebery Hotel Jesmond
York, United Kingdom
“A Beautiful Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

I am a student studying at Northumbria University and I needed a place for my parents to stay as they helped me move into my new accommodation over the weekend. I didn't know much about the place however my mum sent me a picture of how beautiful her room was. I came over the next morning for breakfast. Which the hotel were happy to do for a small £5 charge. The Dining room was lovely along with the breakfast. My parents stayed in room 20, a ground floor room to the front of the property, looked out onto a green. The en suite was small, with just a shower but had everything you needed and the bedroom itself was huge. Looking round the hotel, there were lots of cute objects and vintage mirrors, looked very glam. My parents enjoyed it so much they are returning for their 27th anniversary in october!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mia S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Really great hotel - we were very well looked after during our stay - excellent bathroom with roll top bath and massive shower; everything is impeccably clean, breakfast choice and portions very good indeed, very friendly staff - a joy to spend two nights here! Would thoroughly recommend this to anyone needing a well priced hotel in the Jesmond area - the location is great too - a short walk from the Dene/ jaunt to Jesmond Dene Real Tennis Club and a stroll up to the bars and restaurants on Osborne Road. Well done The Rosebery - I will be telling everyone I know who needs to stay in Newcastle all about you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sam S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Please be careful booking. Just mDe a booking yesterday for the great north run weekend for 1 night B&b. They phoned back saying it wasn't the origional £65 and it would be £95 because it was a premium weekend (new girl on reception). I agreed to this despite the extra cost.
Today I received a phonecall cancelling it unless we agree to stay 2 nights at a cost of £260!!! We cannot afford this and we have 3 young children, one of which requires a lot of medical care so cannot be left long. This was explained to reception again and the fact we've now got £96 non refundable train tickets. The receptionist was obviously ill trained to deal with this so I asked that the management get in touch.
She certainly did!! She shouted down the phone that I'd upset her staff and if I ever stepped foot on the premises or phoned again she would call the police. I'm not joking. Please be very wary of making a Booking, they are obviously after top dollar out of everyone, and not exactly professional. I 've never experience such poor customer service.

• Stayed August 2011
24 Thank SallySheffeild
Kettering, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I must admit to a little disappointment when we arrived at the Rosebery! The hotel is clean if a little dated but it was the little things that were missing? No hand towels (only large) no toiletries, no dressing table and the shower was almost useless the pressure was so low! Breakfast was OK but the ingredients were obviously cheap?
The biggest drawback was the cost!! At just under £100 for a double on a Sunday night it puts itself in direct competition with the likes of the Hilton on the Quayside and there is no comparison! What really got my goat was the surcharge for using a debit card !!!
So - nothing really wrong with the hotel but it would not be my first choice next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank cockneyjohn504022
St Albans, Herts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

The location is very quiet and suburban, away from the busy bars and clubs - and unlike many of the Newcastle hotels which are full of loud party-goers. As a dog friendly hotel I cannot fault it – in the morning I just had to walk over one small road to get into Jesmond Dene, which is a beautiful place to walk. The staff had put a nice little dog basket on the floor of my en-suite which was a nice touch.

Parking is a problem – all roads around the hotel have restrictions. On arrival I asked the young American receptionist about the car parking and explained that I had left my car in a restricted parking zone. The receptionist seemed to be completely baffled by this information, saying “I don’t drive myself” – which seemed a little irrelevant since I was just asking for the location of the free parking. “Most people just take pot luck on the yellow lines outside” was the answer. Not what I had hoped for, and certainly not what the website had promised.

I stayed in the left wing of the hotel- this part of the hotel smelled distinctly of damp and had a large pile of green dirty laundry bags in the hallway that remained for the duration of my stay. My room was on the first floor; the room had clearly been refurbished and looked cosy and fresh. A window looked out onto the busy main road and the back yard of adjoining houses, but the double glazing was good and I was not disturbed by traffic noise as long as the window was closed.

Like the bedroom, the bathroom looked superficially beautiful, but this was all on the surface. The shower was the worst I have ever experienced; an old scratched pink shower tray, badly grouted – with water pressure so low that it was barely enough to wash myself. All I managed to get from the shower was a tiny trickle of water which became dangerously scalding if I tried to turn it up. If I increased the cold flow on the mixer tap, the water stopped completely. There was no shower gel or shampoo provided and no bath mats of any sort.

A big selling point for me had been the free wi-fi, Although my laptop tried to connect, the signal was incredibly weak and although I continued to try all that evening, I never managed to make a connection. Again I felt let down by the website, which said, “Signal strength is very good in all rooms, as boosters are located throughout the hotel.” There seemed to be no way of contacting reception staff, although I wandered around the reception area for a while.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main part of the hotel, not the left wing.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Simonedelany
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

I spent an amazing weekend in Newcastle staying at the Rosebery Hotel. The hotel is in the perfect location in Jesmond and just a short distance from the centre of the city - everything I needed was in walking distance so no complaints there!

All the staff were extremely friendly and happy to help regardless of what time of day it was or how busy they were. The hotel has just had a massive refurb with beautiful boutique feel to all the rooms. Makes the hole hotel seem so warm and welcoming.

Great value for money, perfect location, extremely clean, stunning decor. Would recommend and I shall be staying there every time I visit newcastle!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

i have stayed at The Rosebery Hotel 4 times while my husband has been in Freemans Hospital and each time it gets better.Janet has done a great job referbishing the hotel its beautiful.the breakfasts are great,the staff are friendly and its nice and clean,the bus to Freemans and Newcastle center are just round the corner,The hotel overlooks a nice green and church and is 5 min walk to Jesmond Dene Iwould recommend this hotel as good value for money as its so lovely.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo