The location is very quiet and suburban, away from the busy bars and clubs - and unlike many of the Newcastle hotels which are full of loud party-goers. As a dog friendly hotel I cannot fault it – in the morning I just had to walk over one small road to get into Jesmond Dene, which is a beautiful place to walk. The staff had put a nice little dog basket on the floor of my en-suite which was a nice touch.
Parking is a problem – all roads around the hotel have restrictions. On arrival I asked the young American receptionist about the car parking and explained that I had left my car in a restricted parking zone. The receptionist seemed to be completely baffled by this information, saying “I don’t drive myself” – which seemed a little irrelevant since I was just asking for the location of the free parking. “Most people just take pot luck on the yellow lines outside” was the answer. Not what I had hoped for, and certainly not what the website had promised.
I stayed in the left wing of the hotel- this part of the hotel smelled distinctly of damp and had a large pile of green dirty laundry bags in the hallway that remained for the duration of my stay. My room was on the first floor; the room had clearly been refurbished and looked cosy and fresh. A window looked out onto the busy main road and the back yard of adjoining houses, but the double glazing was good and I was not disturbed by traffic noise as long as the window was closed.
Like the bedroom, the bathroom looked superficially beautiful, but this was all on the surface. The shower was the worst I have ever experienced; an old scratched pink shower tray, badly grouted – with water pressure so low that it was barely enough to wash myself. All I managed to get from the shower was a tiny trickle of water which became dangerously scalding if I tried to turn it up. If I increased the cold flow on the mixer tap, the water stopped completely. There was no shower gel or shampoo provided and no bath mats of any sort.
A big selling point for me had been the free wi-fi, Although my laptop tried to connect, the signal was incredibly weak and although I continued to try all that evening, I never managed to make a connection. Again I felt let down by the website, which said, “Signal strength is very good in all rooms, as boosters are located throughout the hotel.” There seemed to be no way of contacting reception staff, although I wandered around the reception area for a while.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Rosebery Hotel provides the perfect accommodation for those who are looking for that something special, rather than just a run of the mill chain hotel. The tasteful interior of the hotel provides guests with a relaxing and welcoming feel, in a quiet location, next to Jesmond Dene Park. Our rooms are light, spacious and airy, with high ceilings and charming original detailing. Offering guests free in-room continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi, Freeview television, free unrestricted parking and (being only 5 minutes from the city centre) a quick commute into the buzzing city of Newcastle. The Rosebery is also the nearest hotel to the Freeman Hospital, which makes us ideal for relatives of patients or locum staff, who require long term accommodation. The hotel bedrooms have comfortable, good sized beds, a flat screen television with built in DVD, a refrigerator and a seating area for breakfast. Our en suite rooms have fabulous bathrooms, some featuring roll top baths and rainforest showers and our basic rooms share a toilet and bathroom, all very nearby. We do have ground floor rooms available and we cater for vegans & those who have special dietary requirements. For longer term guests we do offer free clothes washing facilities and access to an ironing board, also we can provide use of the hotel's kitchen for use of the microwave. We provide guests who need it, luggage storage and Late and Early Check in's can be arranged with the hotel. The Rosebery is a pet friendly hotel, so if you want to bring your furry friend along, just let us know! We offer great discounts to Commercial groups, contractors, shop fitters, TV and Theatre production companies and the like. Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate party groups or Stag/Hen groups. Save up to 30% by BOOKING Direct with the hotel either by phone or via our secure booking system. Third party booking portals charge more! Booking direct is much cheaper! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Rosebery Hotel Jesmond reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rosebery Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Rosebery Newcastle Upon Tyne