“Dreadful.. try Solomons on the West Road, Newcastle”
Review of Solomons Lounge

Solomons Lounge
Ranked #319 of 1,281 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Solomons Lounge offers you delectable Punjarbi/Kashmiri cuisine surrounded in a luxurios authentic setting with second to none customer service. We pride ourselves in using only the finest of ingrediants cooked to perfection ensuring you a memorable dining experience.
North East
“Dreadful.. try Solomons on the West Road, Newcastle”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Any rating depends on expectations and comparisons.
Our table was booked for 7.45pm, we ordered mains only which arrived after waiting for well over an hour. Acceptable for a busy Saturday but this was a Sunday with only 6 other tables.
I ordered the Shashlik which did not come out sizzling on the hot plate. The meat was sitting on a bed of overcooked and very oily onions and peppers. I ate the meat only. The Singapore sauce was the worst I have ever tasted but when the rice eventually arrived, 5-7 mins after my main was served and after the waiter served another table, the pilau rice was okay….
Now to my husbands, he ordered Chicken Tikka Punjabi Masala and Chana rice and took one spoonful of each, it had a strange taste, difficult to describe, almost bitter with chunky tomato pieces, like tinned tomatoes, it had a sour taste, certainly not what you expect from CKPM. In no way was it as good as the sister restaurant on the West Rd. He left his meal. The garlic and keema naan was another disappointment, it was heavy and stodgy.
Drinks - this should be easy, but it is evident they can’t even serve a decent lemonade, it was flat the first time and flat the second time, it’s not rocket science, if you serve a drink and its flat, if you use the same bottle them its going to be flat the second time.
To our amazement when the bill came the Manager knew my husband had sent his full meal back (main and rice) but he tried to charge him half price for the main and full price for the rice.. Is he crazy, what sort of customer service is that? He expected him to pay for a meal he did not eat, after we waited for over an hour knowing he would have to eat elsewhere. Unbelievable, a very greedy Indian Manager! Shame on you. I should mention the serving staff are friendly.
The restaurant itself has much improved in terms of décor. The seating plan is much better and if they sent the chef from the West Road and changed the Manager and addressed the strange drains smell, this place would be a winner for us.
Would we return, absolutely not. There is no comparison to the quality and taste of the sister restaurant on the West Rd, we have never sent one meal back there and we have been eating there for many years now. Even though we reside nearer to the Heaton restaurant we will drive past to ensure of a nice edible meal.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Weddells
SolomonsGroup, Manager at Solomons Lounge, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
As Newcast;le's largest Punjabi restaurant chain, we take all feedback seriously. We serve over a thousand covers a week .Here we have regular Solomon's customers who felt they were let down by both the food and the service.

Clearly, the staff tried to please by changing both drinks and food when told by customer. Different chefs are bound to have individual recipes and methods for cooking bespoke meals. We cannot serve indentical food like MacDonalds so variances will occur.

We cannot offer free food and drink when extra replacement dishes have been prepared. A healthy discount was offered on the bill and accepted by the customer on the evening.

We are very sorry we did not please on this occasion, but have taken on board the criticisms made.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Glad it's open again”
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

We are great fans of Solomon's Lounge and were devastated when it was closed following the fire. Tonight was our first visit since it re-opened and it is still brilliant. The guys who work there are so friendly, the food is excellent and the re-modelling of the restaurant is a huge success. Can't wait to go back. We'd recommend it to everyone.

• Visited December 2013
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

A superb curry. Visiting my daughter at University and we decided to try this restaurant near her digs
Please note it is not a place you would think to just walk into BUT the food is excellent.

I wish we lived in Newcastle because we would be regular visitors

• Visited July 2013
uk
“Excellent food”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I visited after finding this place on tripadvisor yesterday. The food and service was excellent. The selection of food was more eclectic than most similar restaurants. I will go again even though I don't live nearby.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank stbUk
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A Regular at this Restaurant”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife and I have visited this restaurant on a number of occasions and you will not find a better Indian restaurant with the friendliest of staff anywhere in the region.
There is always a genuinely friendly welcome greeting , ample time to peruse the extensive menu and a totally laid back dining experience.
The waiters will talk you through any dish and vary it if , like me, you don't do hot and spiced !
Another nice dining experience , introducing friends to the restaurant last night .
If I could offer one criticism , the print on the menu is too small for people of my age in subdued lighting , the extensive menu is crammed onto one A3 sheet !
We will be back within the month :-)

• Visited September 2013