“I've been before and I'd go again!”
Review of Fat Hippo Jesmond

Fat Hippo Jesmond
Ranked #126 of 1,308 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fat Hippo specialise in the good kind of gluttony: making indulgent burgers that have you loosening your belt buckle before you've even started!
Reviewed January 9, 2014

If you don't mind being surrounded by rowdy students then this is an excellent place to eat.

High quality burgers, great range of options. I had a bit of an issue with some of the toppings, I had a burger with bacon and peanut butter spread and the peanut spread was "fridge cold", instead of heating it up they made me a whole new burger.

The staff are nice and friendly, the prices are good too.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I went for Lunch recently at The Fat Hiipo which was new for me as we normally go later in the evening, with lunch there are no reservations so we had to wait for a table and since it is quite small we were literally standing with people who were eating which must have been unnerving.

They mixed up my mother in laws drink order (literally just tap water instead of still or sparkling) which isn't a big deal and we had to wait a little bit to put our order in. I think it's just a case of some new staff that need caught up to speed and fit into the role. The food was amazing, as per. Great portions, which taste fantastic.

That BBQ sauce. It is the best I've found in Newcastle so far so if you love some good BBQ sauce then try some at The Fat Hippo, honestly. Amazing.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I can see why people like this place but unfortunately it's quite small, bordering on pokey. Choice of food is mediocre and the breakfast was quite poor. Won't rubs back sorry!

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

The Fat Hippo has been open for a few years now and still offers the best burgers in Newcastle. Portion sizes are large. Menu is small, but needn't be extensive as all the choices are very tasty!
It does not receive 5 stars purely because of its lack of cleanliness. Please do not let this put you off eating at the Fat Hippo as the food is fantastic.
Overall, definitely worth a visit. Parking is restricted around Jesmond, but easily accessible from Jesmond or West Jesmond Metro station.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I really love the food at The Fat Hippo but I just wish the place was cleaner. I have been two times recently and both times the cleanliness of the restaurant has been sub standard. I am only writing this in the hope that it will be noted as I don't want to stop eating at The Fat Hippo but it is quite off putting when there is old food everywhere!!!