“Great service and lovely High tea”

Windows on the Tyne Restaurant
Ranked #680 of 1,304 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Windows on the Tyne restaurant at Hilton Newcastle Gateshead offers a unique range of dining experiences for everyone. Start the day with our worldly inspired famous "Hilton breakfast" before heading off for business or pleasure in our City. Enjoy a casual lunch with family & friends or formal business lunch with colleagues or clients... our daytime menu is sure to impress. Our Afternoon tea is one of Newcastle’s most popular with our Chef's homemade scrumptious delights for that special treat. When the sun goes down, relax with our casual a la carte dinner menu. Relax whilst enjoying the panoramic views of the Iconic. River Tyne; its beautiful bridges and the City's skyline... after dinner why not take a stroll over the historic swing bridge onto the famous quayside.
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We booked High Tea as a treat for my fathers 90th birthday, and from the moment I phone to book it until the time we left, everything was fantastic .
The hotel managed to cope with three vegans, a gluten free, a child and 11 ordinary teas, and it was all lovely, and more than enough for us all.
There were sandwiches, scones and jam and clotted cream, fruit cake and little fancies.
They even brought a plate of brownies and strawberries with Happy Birthday written on the plate in Chocolate.
We didn't feel rushed, and the staff we brilliant.
My father said it was nice to see how the other half lives , and that he had a lovely time . Would love to do it again.

1  Thank civiladele

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Situated within the Newcastle-Gateshead Hilton; between the High and Tyne bridges and opposite to the swing bridge; overlooking Newcastle on the opposite bank of the river, the restaurant offers excellent views, especially at night when the illuminated bridges and the lights of the city make for a magical scene.
Combined with an excellent varied menu, including some vegetarian and low calorie choices, together with friendly, efficient staff one is offered a unique dining experience.
We dined here on four consecutive evenings; choosing different items from the menu on each occasion and found quality and presentation to be excellent - the kitchen staff are to be congratulated!
Service is relaxed, but as each meal is obviously prepared individually this can perhaps be expected. If you are in a rush to move on, then this is not for you.
We considered al-a -carte prices to be comparable with other quality restaurants; although certain items such as steaks might be considered pricey, especially with added side orders.
Drinks prices we considered to be a little on the high side. With a pint of beer at £4.50 and a large glass of wine in the region of £9.00, the traveller on a budget might not wish to spend much time in the bar.
All in all, a very enjoyable experience.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Big big thank you to Neenah who attended to my 3 year old daughters every need as well as ours. I booked this for my mothers birthday and every part of the experience was brilliant! Coming from a background of the restaurant industry, I could not fault one thing about tonight's service or the food served. I had the tomato and buffalo mozzarella to start which was light and delicious, followed by the 10 oz fillet steak. It has to be up there with best steaks I've ever tasted. I did not require a steak knife as it cut straight off and melted in the mouth. The chips were fresh and fluffy inside and the meal was presented beautifully on the plate. To finish, I had rhubarb crumble with ginger ice cream. A definite treat not to be missed! I loved the open kitchen and how nipping clean the Chef's whites were! Very professional! This restaurant should be called gem on the Tyne instead of windows as it is definitely a place I will be regularly visiting! Big well done to everyone on shift for the service you gave and massive thanks. It made my mums special day :) xx

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have never written a review before bit really felt the need too on this occasion! We had a wonderful lunch with our Mums and our 2 year old Daughter. We were greated with a warm welcome and glass of champagne - which was a nice suprise! The food was delicious and service couldn't have been faulted, staff were fabulous with our little girl and we were very well looked after. All three Mums received a gift - which just finished off a very special meal! Thank you to all staff for making such a memorable day!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We had a voucher for food in the restaurant but it was not explained by staff about extra charges on food.
The cheapest bottle of wine was £20 and a pint of beer is £4.50.
The food was very good but staff inattentive and slow. The location and views are very good of the Tyne Bridge and Quayside.