“Not good enough”
Review of Akbars

Akbars
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
“Not good enough”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

I booked a table for 2 a week in advance for Saturday night at 9pm. When we got there we had to wait 15-20 mins to even be seated, and were given one of those vibrating, flashing devices. We stood waiting with a bottle of wine and two glasses as there were no seats. When it flashed, we were taken to our table, which hadn't even been cleared. The waiter removed the dirty plates, but never brought us any cutlery or napkins. However the waiter did manage to sprinkle rose petals all over the table...

We had to ask twice for tap water as the staff were not listening. We also had to ask twice for the bill. For the experience we had, Akbars is too expensive and I would not return. Food ok - I had the lamb and spinach balti, the lamb wasn't very tender but overall it was alright. Naan breads lovely.

Also the "happy birthday" song they play for customers is severely irritating. In our 90 minutes or so at Akbars, the song was played for a customer at least 8 times.

Don't believe the hype about Akbars, go to Sachins instead. Nicer food and better service.

“Not bad at all”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

On my second visit to Newcastle in a month I fancied a curry.

The restaurant was across the courtyard from the Holiday Inn Express and ideal for a quick bite to eat.

Highlights, shish kebab starter was spot on, nann bread perfect, enough for two.

Balti Chilli Chicken was average with a slightly sour taste due to the addition of lemon, 5/10

Overall a good meal, I would return.

With popadoms and pickle tray, four bottles of beer, £28.00 reasonable

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Excellent service but far too greasy”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Very impressive looking restaurant and buzzing atmosphere inside. We didnt arrive until 9.30 on a Saturday night so it was heaving and very loud (lots and lots of birthdays going on)
We were shown to a lovely table very quickly and the waiter was very polite and helpful.
Menu is straight forward and they were willing to offer smaller portions of mains as starters.
I had lamb chops for my starter and they were incredibly spicy! Huge portion but far too spicy. They definitely cater for the Saturday night English curry eater!
Main course was swimming in fat, the naan was very impressive but that was also covered in fat.
The service was very prompt, the menu really reasonably priced it was just a shame the dishes werent more authentic.

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Disgusting food!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I cant believe I actually ate this food! me and my boyfriend we both ended up with a bad stomach a next day!

It was truly the worst indian food I've ever had in my life. I'm a big fan of indian food and I've been to many different indian restaurants with different indian style, but this food was just disgusting. I ordered a chicken Jalfrazi and my boyfriend ordered Gosh Karai, both of our food look and tasted the same, as they used the same spices (ready made sauces) for every food.

Food was full of spice and not nice at all! and I couldn't taste any flavor at all !

Overall a very bad experience, would never visit this restaurant again!

• Visited June 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Reliable and Good Value”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Was surprised at this restaurant. From the outside it had all the making over being over priced and pretentious, however it's quite the opposite.

Both meals and drinks are well priced.

Service is always great - heed their warning, don't try and tackle the family naan, even between two hungry lads!

• Visited January 2013