“Nice, traditional hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
Hope Island, Australia
“Nice, traditional hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is not a modern boutique hotel, in fact until recently it was one of the best in Newcastle. Its still very good, service is excellent, parking free and plentiful, the rooms are comfortable but like the rest of the hotel, traditionally decorated but in good condition.

The hotel is out of the city (a £12 cab ride) so if you're planning to spend all your time in the center there are others which may suit better. Clientele seems to be slightly older, suited me as it was nice 7 quiet, I think a coach party of retirees was in.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and thought it excellent value for the price paid, including a very good buffet breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Very dissapointed with a recent stay.

Moved rooms 3 times due to awful smells and severe mould around the windows. No upgrade offered just 4 drinks vouchers.

Booked an offer which included3 course dinner, food was ok, nothing special. The service was awful the staff loitered around staring and made me feel uncomfortable.

We were woke up at 9am on saturday morning by a male cleaner walking into our room, i appreciate that they want to get started but why not check up and see if we have checked out instead of waking us up when on a leisurely break.

Breakfast was ok, food was luke warm at best and they cleared up promptly and told us no more food was available.

We complained at check out and the acting duty manager came to see us and wasnt very helpful. Said she would pass information on to duty manager who would write to us in due course. I doubt i will hear from her.....

Dont think we will be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tamara_Watts16
N.Lincs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Spent a weekend relaxing and doing a bit of shopping and found this hotel perfect for us.
Staff friendly and very friendly, room exceptionally clean. Only drawback was prices within hotel were a little high even for a hotel. Will use hotel again but will eat else where.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Had a meal here recently, and have to say it was enjoyable, food was nice, but the the service was a little too slow (when the restaurant wasn't particularly busy!). Staff were friendly and was reasonable value for money - ideally 3.5 stars!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex A
Chesterfield, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have experienced this week my worst ever hotel stay. Having been delayed on the A1 and driven for four hours, I arrived just after 11pm, having rung ahead to check that hot food would be available after that time: it was. On checking in, I went to my room to find a loud sound of running water from the radiator. I asked the receoptionist if it could be sorted out, and was assured that it would be checked, as there was no other room available in the hotel that night. I went to the Bar, to find no "delicious international cuisine" in the Plate, nor "casual dining" in Chat's Cafe Bar, no, the food option promised was the 24 hour room service. The bar girl offered me only chicken tikka massala as the hot option, or a ham - or cheese - sandwich. Delightful. The generosity of the bar staff was genuine in offering me a packet of crips free of charge to go with my beer.

On returning to my room, I was locked out, so back down to reception to reactivate my keycard. Back up stairs, only to find the radiator still noisy. Now, I'm not a plumber, but it's pretty obvious to me that the radiator was full of air and needed bleeding. If I had a pair of pliers I would have done it myself. Back down to reception again, by which time, I confess, I lost patience. In my frustration, I tossed my keycard on the desk. It slid onto the floor at the night porter/receptionists' feet, who promptly lost his rag, telling me, before I had even had the chance to say anything, that my behaviour was completely unacceptable. No further help or pliers were offered; I was just told that there was nothing that could be done.

I worked out that by turning the thermostat down to a miniumum setting that the radiator valve would turn off after half an hour or so.

At least the towels were clean after I had a hot shower to warm myself up in the morning after a dreadful night.

I will not be staying at a Marriott ever again.

Despite being advertised as

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Limbic_Candy
Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

our daughter & her new husband chose this hotel for thier wedding venue, we had a two night stay. most of our families booked in too! the service was excellent! staff were very friendly & could not do enough for everyone. breakfasts were fab, dinner in the plate restaurant was lovely (if a little slow service, but were informed they were short staffed). the wedding itself was perfect. fantastic wedding breakfast & evening buffet. the rooms were perfect, plenty of space, comfortable everyone raved about the soft fluffy beds. very clean, the housekeeping staff were all so lovely to everyone. this in all made everyones stay so pleasurable. well done too to kirsty mcdonald for co-ordinating the wedding.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Seaham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Attended a wedding and pushed the boat out and stayed in a corner suite. Mattresses were like sleeping on a cloud, room service very quick and fabulous choice. We had a small reception for friends before the evening function and the hotel supplied all drinks and food at a very reasonable price, service was very good and the staff excelled themselves

Room Tip: The suites are divine
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple