Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park
  • Pool
$88
$73
  • Restaurant
Hotel Indigo Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$96
$80
  • Restaurant
Royal Station Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$58
  • Pool
Staybridge Suites Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$93
$77
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$67
$56
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$79
$66
Hotels.com
Malmaison Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$95
$91
Hotels.com
$80
$68
Trip.com
  • Restaurant
Jesmond Dene House(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$100
$90
All reviewsseaton burnexecutive roomswimming pooltwo double bedssauna and steam roomgosforth parkcoach partyno liftair conthe ground floorgood sizeleisure facilitiesrestaurant staffbuffet stylepublic areascity centrefamily room
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I booked a bargain dinner, bed and breakfast break for my other half, my 7 year old son and myself - I booked a room with 2 double beds as the last time we stayed at this hotel my sons bed was a sofa bed and it wasn't very comfy. I also chose this hotel as it is not far from Newcastle town centre and Tynemouth where we went to the Blue Reef Aquarium.

Check in was at 2:00pm and we arrived at the hotel at 1:45pm, unfortunately the receptionist informed me that the room wouldn't be ready for another 20 minutes and asked if there was any where we needed to go - I explained we had just been stuck in the car for 4 hours travelling up and we just needed to rest, she suggested we had a drink in the bar whilst we waited. At 2:10pm I checked to see if the room was ready and had to wait for the receptionist to check with housekeeping - it was finally ready!

The room was spacious and on a quiet part of the hotel as I requested (room 24 if anyone wants to ask for that rooom in future) the only downside to the room was the light on the car park shone threw gaps in the curtains (perhaps I'm just being picky as I do like a dark room to sleep in!).

The hotel has a swimming pool which you sign in at reception and get the door key to the pool to enter. We went into the pool on a Sunday afternoon and there was a lane set up and in use by private swimming instructors. I did notice that some guests had been given towels at reception to use - this is something we were not offered so I do not know if this is something the hotel only gives to certain guests - this would have made it a lot easier for my family rather than trying to dry all our towels before we were due to leave the room the next day.

We booked a table at reception on arrival for our evening meal as this was the package I had booked - the earliest time we could book in was 6:30pm. We arrived bang on 6:30 and found that lots of other families had arrived for their pre-booked tables too. The service was very slow and I ended up ordering my main meal three times as the waiter kept coming back to tell me that they had run out of my first two choices!! There was a delay of 50 minutes between finishing our starter and our mains - the waitress did apologise when she brought the main dishes and said that the chef was not happy with the first mixed grill that he had prepared for my husband - it would have been better if the serving staff had stopped avoiding my eye contact and explained what the delay was and offered to bring the children's meal out before the other mains as it was nearly 8:00pm and my son was getting tired and needed his tea!

We noticed on our way to breakfast that other rooms had papers left outside for them - this is not something we were offered at reception on booking in so I presumed this hotel didn't have this facility.

Breakfast was lovely and had a choice of serve yourself hot breakfast, cereal, toast, cakes, cold meats, fruit etc etc. Just what we needed to set off on the next leg of our journey.

Room Tip: I recommend paying the bit extra for a room with two double beds, for comfort and more room to move about in.
1  Thank Danielle M
gm_hinewcastle, Operations Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry we fell short on some service aspects of your stay with us. As you have stated our check-in time is from 2.00pm, however if bedrooms are available prior to this time we will try our best to check any guests in that arrive prior to this time.
In addition to the hotel information service found on our bedroom televisions that explain that we provide towels for guests staying with us you should have been offered these on signing in at reception, I am sorry that this was not the case.
It is our policy to ask each guest if they would like to order a newspaper upon check-in, again I am sorry that you had not been ask this.
During the half term holidays we are a popular hotel for families and as a result of this we have since reviewed our opening hours for the restaurant to help resolve the busy period requested by guests to dine at the start of our restaurant opening times, however this does not take away the fact that we had a number of dishes unavailable for you on the evening you dined with us.
All your comments have been forwarded to our team managers to review and make the relevant changes to deliver the service expected from the Holiday Inn Newcastle.
Thank you again for your comments.
Peter Auld, Operations Manager

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We booked the accommodation fairly last minute on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. We upgraded to an executive room for £20 a night extra (total of £114 per night.) The executive room gave us complimentary water and a free 'I' newspaper (but you can get these in reception for free too.) Don't order a newspaper as the first morning we didn't get one and the I is free. Decorations in the room and bathroom need updating (there were cracked tiles in the bathroom which was a tad green and looked like it had last been updated in the 1980s.)

On the first night there was very little available on the menu (they had run out of almost half of the food on the menu which isn't good when you're on dinner tariff.) The food took along time to come (we had to ask to take pudding upstairs as the children were falling asleep.) The main courses were luke warm - rice was hard and custard was clearly made up from custard powder. The food was best described as reasonable quality pub food. Most of it was brought in (the price of the food suggested more.) The serving staff were always helpful and friendly (and often appeared embarassed at having to tell us items were not available.) To be honest, on the first night we should have been given the option to go elsewhere and if we had been on a B&B basis only we would not have eaten there on the second night.

We enjoyed the pool. It was warm. But not that big and some of the pool seemed to be given over to swimming lessons.

Generally we enjoyed ourselves. The staff were friendly and helpful but I wouldn't do a DB&B there again.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the executive room.
1  Thank JoWilson
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you for your feedback and my apologies that your stay was not satisfactory.
If you can message me your room number I will investigate the Executive Room as these rooms should also have bathrobes and slippers as advertised.
I am sorry that we ran out of some dishes from the menu. The menu offers around 25 main course selections and it is disappointing if the dish you prefer is not available. Our weekend menu sales were not typical last weekend in comparison to previous months and I believe we had 5/6 dishes unavailable which thankfully is not typical of our service levels. Please accept my apologies.
Your kind comments regarding the team are very much appreciated so thank you for that. Please don’t be put off our amazing value DB&B rate which includes £23 per person for dinner plus £14 for breakfast which totals £74 in a double room.
Thank you again, Norrie Oswald, General Manager

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our way up to Scotland due to its convenient location just off the A1.

The restaurant serves some excellent food in the evening.

All the staff were friendly and welcoming.

The room was very clean and comfortable.

Breakfast was excellent with the usual buffet style, all fresh and hot, good choice for all.

Would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you bigian13 for you great feedback which is very much appreciated by the team and myself. When the team's hard work is appreciated by our guests it makes the job even more worthwhile. Thank you again.
Norrie Oswald, General Manager

Reviewed October 28, 2012

1960`s building which has been improved over the years. Our room was large , quiet, well cleaned , with good quality fixtures and furnishings. The swimming pool was medium sized and fairly crowded when we went although we did go at a busy time. There is an unexpected sharp drop in the swimming pool which will send you underwater if you are walking in and not expecting it. I did notice small warning signs at the edge of the pool afterwards. Our stay was good value. Holiday Inn is a quality brand and this hotel represents a good example of this.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for you positive feedback after your recent stay.
Holiday Inn is a great brand for families and business alike and I am very pleased that we were able to look after you and you would choose to stay with us again.
kind regards, Norrie Oswald, General Manager

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Had a great 3 night stay here for half term. Room with 2 doubles was ideal and at £60 a night including breakfast was great value.
The rooms were a great size with the usual items. Breakfast was lovely, everything made fresh in small amount (without running out) and liked being able to help yourself to tea and coffee. Great selection of fresh and dried fruit.
Swimming pool was great (or so my daughter said!) and the small size meant she could go in herself (age 8) and I could watch from the side and read my book!
Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you Joy for your glowing feedback and delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, the breakfast and even better that you had time to relax at the poolside with a book. Sounds ideal.
Hopefully you will return again soon.
Kind regards, Norrie Oswald, General Manager