New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Rising Sun Country Park
newcastle upon tyne
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Snowy visit to rising sun counrty park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Hi All
My wife and I were at a loose end on one snowy Sunday morning,so we decided to have a winters walk upto the rising sun country park.
With the thick snow and cold we were well rapped up,but before we new it we had found the little cafe for the best bacon sarnie i've ever had,my wife had tuna sarnie which looked nice and fresh and she said it was lovely.

They also do a great Sunday lunch,we had a early Christmas lunch there before Christmas, phew it was lovely very filling.
After our sarnies we had a nice walk round,we had taking some old bread to feed the swans and ducks on this chilly day,they were glad to see us both,but if you have a dog with you watch out for the swans.Remember to take some bread.
Look out for the big geordie stag he looks great and take a camera,good walking shoes are a must.
Also good for the kids climbing frame and swings.
Nice horses in the stables as well as some nice friendly people,so get out there and enjoy it.
Cheers the Geordies

1 Thank stevoo69

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Lovely place for a stroll”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is a lovely open space just outside of Wallsend, with great views over to Penshaw Monument on a clear day. Lots of paths to walk on and some bird watching hides too. Good on foot or on a bike.

1 Thank Charbellafox
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Sunday delight!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We live about 2 miles from the park and often walk to the cafe for breakfast on Sunday. The scones are fantastic, large and soft, and the bacon sandwiches cooked just right. You can watch birds from inside, or sit outside in summer. The park is a marvellous community asset.

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great for walks and Natural History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Often go through here on different paths. Coloured routes. Woods, lake, open spaces. Great hill to go up and see for miles. Lovely cafe overlooking the lake.

Visited July 2012
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“I absolutely love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I live very close to the Rising Sun Country Park, and have done all my life, and what I can say is that it is one of my favourite places in the world. I'm up there regularly with family, walking with my girlfriend, and it is always a great time.

The biggest tip I'd give anyone visiting this place is to never go up there without your camera. You never know what you're likely to see up there. Obviously a lot comes down to time of day, as these are wild animals, not pets, not domesticated, not a zoo. During our walks/bike rides, I've seen rabbits (pretty much every time you go) foxes, deer, owls, all manner of small birds, from mistle thrushes to robins, to the other usualy suspects, even woodpecker. (I've heard them a few times, but not seen one yet) and lots of different types of water birds on Swallow Pond (These can be out in the lake, so if you want to see them properly, a pair of binoculars is a welcome addition)

It is a beautiful place all year round, in all 4 seasons as the park changes appearance completely throughout the year. I would try and avoid visiting after a period of heavy rain, as the pathways are just compacted earth and are prone to becoming very muddy after long downpours. (Unless you don't mind mud, them go for it!)

This place is also very popular with dog walkers, so if your dog isn't good with others, might be better all round if it's kept on its lead. (some parts of the park say you must use them anyway)

If you've not visited yet, you don't know what you're missing out on!

Visited December 2012