“Unbelievable!!”

Springfield Hotel
Edinburgh
“Unbelievable!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

We arrived at about 12 and were told that they could not check us in until 2pm. Fine. We advised that we would probably get there in the evening.

The lady at reception told us that if we had arrived earlier, she would have checked us in, but informed there was a wedding and all the guests had arrived and all the rooms left were still dirty. Fine.

We got there at about 9 and were given Studio 1. When we were almost there, we had to pass by all the guests in the wedding, where they were taking pictures. We arrived to a corridor and, as soon as we opened the door, we could see the bar where all the guests were having drinks at the end of it and three doors on the left. And now comes the worst bit... Next to the door where the bar was located, there was another door and... guess what? That was our room!! Our wall was the bar´s wall!!

It was terribly loud. We weren´t bothered about the music that much, you could here smashed bottles when the barman was putting them in the bin!!

We had to leave the room as there was no way we could have a good night in there. We went to reception and the receptionist wasn´t very surprised to see us there. She asked if it was too loud and we were told that the wedding finished at 12. Obviously, we asked for another room but we knew the answer already. Fully booked.

So... not only we had the worst room ever, but we could have been completely fine in another room (maybe?) if we had arrived earlier!!

Definitely I would say to owner or manager of the hotel: You don´t sell a room like that when you have a function on. And to anybody that gets offered Studio 1 (Room 43) or Studio 2 (I guess it was as bad), refuse as soon as possible, not a nice place to be.

Stayed September 2008
2 Thank Maritxutolosa

Families
Leeds
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

All i can say is find somewhere else! The letter we are sending to their complaints department will be a good review i think.

I have just given up on any further expectation of not being annoyed by the hotel in which I currently have the misfortune to be staying tonight and bearing in mind that I know there is nothing anybody here is likely to be able to do to improve my mood I am writing to provide open and honest feedback on my experience so far as I consider it unlikely that anybody ever reads the feedback cards that don’t provide enough room in which to explain why you are annoyed in the first place.
Firstly, when we arrived to check in this evening we were told that there was no record of our booking and that the reservation number that we had been given when we booked was useless as central reservations had all gone home. This being the case, we were “lucky” enough to be able to obtain a room although not at the price we had been quoted on the phone. As the receptionist could not think of any way in which we could have been quoted £75 for a double room with dinner and breakfast I have no idea what the lady in reservations was up to when she initially took our booking. Maybe your policy is to quote an enticing price and then deny all knowledge upon the guests arrival thus leaving them with no real choice other than to accept the new price being quoted or simply wander around a strange city late at night trying to find somewhere else to stay.
Following this, we were given the key to a double room which turned out to contain two singles.
Moving on, we eventually made our way to a double room which did indeed contain a double bed, or at least two single beds of appalling quality zipped together. (Honestly, the bed really is awful!)
After this, I ordered room service before hopping into the shower. What I would say about the ordering experience is that had I not been concerned about the possible consequences of upsetting somebody taking my food order, I might have pointed out to him that I was confused as to why he seemed so annoyed at having to take an order from a room in a hotel which provides room service. Simply put, it was clearly an inconvenience to him and he seemed quite happy for me to be aware of this.
Now might be a good time by the way, to mention that I am not a difficult customer. To be honest, having made it to the ripe old age of 34 I don’t think that I have ever been annoyed enough to actually complain about anything in my life. I don’t mean to give you my life story; I just don’t want you to get the impression that I enjoy complaining about things.
In fact, not to labour the point about not being a natural complainer but I’m beginning to get bored now and I haven’t even got to the straw that broke the camel’s back to I shall continue in list form:
• When I got into the shower, I couldn’t get it warmer than luke-warm until I tried to turn it off (which took a bit of doing and felt like an exercise in mental acuity!)
• When dinner arrived, my partner’s starter was ok but then it’s hard to mess up smoked salmon and lettuce, however, my pan fried prawns were dry and over cooked. Of the main courses, her chicken was fine but the scallops were pretty much inedible so she left them. Personally I took two bites of what was meant to be a medium rare sirloin steak. I don’t know what cut of beef it actually was but it certainly wasn’t pink in the middle, more cooked until dry. I left it in disgust and took a photo which I’ve enclosed for your enjoyment.
• Now I’m sitting next to a stained wall (photo also enclosed) typing away on a bed I wouldn’t give to a dog to sleep on, watching a crappy TV with a screen full of vertical lines listening to a bloke snoring for England (actually, he may be Welsh, I wouldn’t know).
• Now I await with anticipation the fiasco that awaits tomorrow morning when we attempt to get our initial payment back from Central Bookings. (Yes, just in case I wasn’t clear earlier, we have paid twice so far (for a service that doesn’t really merit paying for once). In the meantime let’s just hope the fire alarm doesn’t go off.
• At least my bottle of beer tastes good but then I’d have been impressed if you could have mucked that up as well. Cheers!

• Liked — the exit
  • Disliked — pretty much everything!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Dundee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2008

We booked our stay through Superbreaks, hotel was excellent. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is very clean, rooms are big and food is good too!! There was 16 of us on Mandys Hen weekend and we all loved it and would go back in a minute. Thankyou to all staff at Legacy Springfield Hotel Gateshead!!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

The hotel on the whole is ok...says its a 3 star...but think it needs a makeover...
carpets have seen better days...big crack in the loo (room5).
cold tap was a struggle to turn off, and sink was blocked.

a decent bar and function room, and breakfast was good.

It did the job , a nights stay for a family get to gether....

dont think its the place for a romantic night etc

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2007

Stayed here for the easter w/end. Booked on last minute.com and got the hotel for £48 per night inc breakfast for 2 of us so really couldn't moan.

On arrival hotel looked pretty good. Lots of car parking spaces. Check in was swift and the hotel looked fairley modern and nicely decorated. When we got to our room it smelt badly of smoke even though it was a non smoking room. The room is adequate enough, has the ususal stuff, hairdryer, trouser press, iron and tv, etc. Bathroom was a bit out of date but there was always hot water at anytime and I found it to be clean enough.

For some reason they lock the doors of the hotel very early and on the 1st night we returned about 11.30pm to find the doors locked. It had a sign saying please ring bell and wait for night porter. Despite me ringing the bell constantly, after 10mins we were quite annoyed and my boyfriend walked around the hotel to see if he could find someone. After another 10mins someone came and let us in. No apology, even though they could see I was quite hacked off. Not ideal, esp if it's cold.

Breakfast was really good. They had lots of fruit, cereals, juices, etc. They had menus on the tables with hot breakfast options, and they come round and took your order. Full english was very nice. Staff were friendly and quick to clear tables.

Towels and bed linen were changed day after arrival.

Location is not ideal as you cannot walk into the town centre so constantly relying on taxis. This is the only thing that would make me try to get another hotel closer in but at the price I paid it evens itself up. Taxis cost about £5-7 each way.

Quayside was quite good for food and pubs. Chinatown is also worth a visit.

Oh the other bad thing is there were lots of clowns in this hotel on both nights who kept us awake. The 1st night it was about 3.30am till about 4.30am banging doors, people shouting etc. But the Saturday night was worse. Think they were across the hall from us and it went on until about 6am. Playing music, singing, shouting, banging doors. Although I think it would be the same no matter which hotel you choose as there are lots of stag and hen parties around the city.

All in all it is cheap, clean and does the job, I would return again.

• Liked — Breakfast and price
  • Disliked — Noise. Guys are so immature when in groups!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank shell_RFC
Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2006

We were in Newcastle for the weekend and decided to stay somewhere cheap n cheerful to do the Americana festival.

We choose the Springfield for being close to the venue, and reasonably cheap.

We probably could have done better - the receptionist was really grumpy when we arrived; the double bed was a pair of mismatched singles shoved together and one of them had definitely seen better days (big dip and v squeaky!); the room was boiling with half the windows nailed shut; and the bathroom had lots of mouldy grouting and a shower that was almost impossible to turn off without superhuman strength.

You can get better for your money in the area.

Stayed June 2006