“Huge room, perfect location”

Royal Station Hotel
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Booked this because of the good reviews and location right next to the main station. I paid £79 for 1 night, and had a large double room, with an en suite (with bath) and separate changing area. It's a short walk to the quay where there's a large choice of restaurants. The pool, although large enough, was freezing cold, so certainly woke me up in the morning! Nice sauna, steam room and jacuzzi too. The only downside was the noise - I had a room in the front of the hotel, and despite it being a Monday night, I was woken through all hours of the night by students. The windows were closed, but the glass was so thin, I could hear traffic, sirens, and shouting until the early hours. Had a continental breakfast bought to my room at exactly the time I'd specified. All very nice. Would stay here again but would ask for a room at the back!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed February 8, 2010

Arriving late (midnight) on a Friday night it was a little disconcerting to be greeted by two bouncers on the door, but I soon saw why this was necessary. The area was lively, to say the least. Friendly staff and a newly refurbished room were positives - judging from the worn, tired look of the public areas I was glad that I paid extra for the superior room. It was clean and comfortable, but with the sirens and revellers outside it was never going to be a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 30, 2010

It was my third visit to the hotel which I choose for its excellent location but it was the most disappointing. There seemed to be an air of indifference on reception and OK it is a small point but hotels that really pay attention to sevice record previous visits and welcome you back, it doesn't happen here. The room was a double room but small, cramped and not very warm, the heating could not really cope and as for the bathroom there was just a heated towel rail and if I got this right the light had to be kept on to make it work so I left the light on all night to warm it up a bit. A loose tap, a slightly damaged toilet flush also detracted from the impression. The worst thing though was that they had appeared to have taken out the double glazing leaving a big gap between the original window and old double glazing frame so the room was noisy all night and I did not sleep well. On the plus side it was clean and the bed reasonably comfortable and I like the fridge with water orange juice and biscuits.

Previous visits to the hotel have been better but it really is in need of attention and I will not be returning.

A tip for lovers of great pubs with great beer. The Newcastle Arms 57 St Andrew's Street (less than 10 minutes walk away) is excellent, one of my favourite British pubs and I know many. Wonderfully basic with an outstanding range of well kept beers, great friendly service, really nice atmosphere, a mix of customers of all ages and an outstanding landlord who really cares about his craft and his customers.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Polite and welcoming service, very helpful. The room is very small but with a huge bathroom - I upgraded to a superior double since I needed space to work, but the desk is tiny and poked in a corner. Tea/Coffee/soft drinks and snacks complimentary. Nice modern decor, recently renovated and in a fantastic location - less than 50yds from the Station. However, you can hear trains if you're at the back.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 22, 2009

We stay in Newcastle from time to time visiting my student son. We have not found a good cheap hotel in Newcastle, but the Royal Station is better than most. We booked a superior room for a good discounted rate for 2 nights. The room was large and initially looked ideal. but the lighting was weird - just inadequate. Some have commented on the street noise. From our perspective the double glazing was successful. The location - next to the station was ideal and made getting around the city easy. The gym and pool are quite excellent. My wife and I used it on both days. The hotel was clean, a little bit tired in places, but perfectly acceptable and in my opinion we would recommend it and would use the hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cervelo_rs
Reviewed November 9, 2009

On arrival it looked ok, the price was £190 for the 2 nights well over the top we thought. we were put in one of the back rooms so all we could hear was the trains in the night and them announcing the the next train coming in or out. walking down a corridor there was an awful smell before we got to our room . the windows are made from wood and in the night all you could hear again was the windows banging against each other, the bedding was another thing there were holes in our bedding sheets, to top it off the floor boards were very creeky when you moved about. to be honest the stay was very POOR, and we will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Hotel is generally OK. Rooms were modern & nice, although I couldn't open my window to let in some cool fresh air - no A/C and the room got quite hot at night! Breakfast was OK but nothing special. Free Wifi which worked well. Free car parking if you are lucky enough to get one of the few free spaces - other than these, its the public car park next door which costs £14 for 24hrs.
Location is great for central Newcastle and easy walking to all main city attractions. Overall no real complaints and would probably use again if had too!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business