“Tired and overrated.”

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
Reviewed November 3, 2010

This hotel is in a good location on the banks of the Tyne but I feel it has had it's day and the quality of the decor in the corridors and the rooms is now below average for this class of hotel. I only stayed here as a colleague had already booked in as I normally stay at the Hilton which is far superior if you can get it at a similar price. We stayed at the Copthorne in November but the rooms were roasting and the aircon did not cool at all. Terrible night's sleep as a result. Several requets to fix resulted in only broken promises. We will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Newcastle

Reviewed October 20, 2010

Stayed here weekend 15th October for the weekend, found the hotel to be in a lovely quiet location. Right next to quayside where there is a weatherspoons pub literally 2 mins walk. All rooms overlook the river where in the evening all the bridges are lit up and it is very relaxing.

Hotel is so quiet at night, no loud noise except for the occasional train passing over a nearby bridge but is nothing to wake you up.

Did not eat here but there is the weatherspoons pub literally next door and about 5 mins walk u get to slug and lettice pub, great cheap grub. Also chinese restaurant around the back of the hotel 2 mins walk.

Ideal for the train station 10 mins walk and taxis seem to run frequently.

Only downfall i found the rooms too warm as windows do not open far and also air conditioning not fantastic but TV channel choice brilliant.

Did not have breakfast here or use the leisure facilities but overall i would class hotel as 4 star. Impressive entrance, rooms clean and tidy, excellent stay here.

Also car parking is attached, secure and costs £5 a day.

Staff also friendly and welcoming, nice to see local geordie folk working on reception and bar.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
CopthorneNewcastle, P.A. to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for your informative review following your recent stay at the Copthorne Hotel Newcastle.

We are delighted you had a good time whilst in Newcastle and the team appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments about them.

We hope that this will encourage you to stay again and perhaps you would like to try the food in our Quay 7 bar or restaurant next time.

Thank you once again, we hope to welcome you back again sometime soon.

Reviewed October 13, 2010

First impressions of this hotel were positive as I entered a bright and spacious reception and went up to a big room with full length windows overlooking the Tyne. The room was comfortable and well equipped if a bit dated.
But my experiences from an evening meal at the bar and breakfast more than made up for the initial good impressions. Both the food and the service at both was well below expectations.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
CopthorneNewcastle, P.A. to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2010

Dear Guest

In the first instance, thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your review following your recent stay at the Copthorne Hotel Newcastle. However, it is of course most disappointing to note that the hotel did not live up to your expectations with regard to food and service on this occasion.

Please be assured that all our guest feedback is integral and will be shared with the team and re-training implemented where necessary.

We were however very pleased that your other impressions of the hotel were favourable and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to show that we can meet your standards by returning in the future.

Reviewed October 8, 2010

I only ever stay here on business and mostly I like it. It is near restarurants and overlooks the Tyne.

The rooms I have stayed in on my few visits have been overlooking the Tyne. Lovely view. My only critiscism is you cannot open a window - it is fixed glazing in the rooms I have been in and you use the air conditioner in the room. However I only bed and breakfast here as I have a Newcastle friend who comes and takes me out to eat. The breakfasts can be a little confused but usually I get to eat!

It's nice on a warm evening to sit outside the bar area and looking onto the Tyne and watch people go by...

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
CopthorneNewcastle, P.A. to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2010

Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for your comments, following your recent stay at the Copthorne Hotel Newcastle.

Should you be returning to the hotel in the future you may wish to reserve accommodation on the first or fifth floor of the hotel, these rooms do open to allow fresh air into the bedrooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2010

i was recomended this hotel by a work college who has stayed in newcastle before and on arrivel was quit supprised by the hotels briliant location and decor as a traveling buisnessman i have stayed in some expensive but disapionting hotels i found the copthorne to be a very pleasent and welcolming place to stay.on arrival i was greeted by genuine and real people on reception rather than false and snooty staff you meet in other establishments already i felt at home for someone who lives out of a suitcase 5 days a week it was a refreshing change credit to the manager for keeping the famous geordie welcolme and profesional mix
i was given a room on the 5th floor with faboules views over the river tyne with all the bridges litup breakfast in the morning whilst watching sky news in the restraunt made me feel at home ready for the hard day ahead
a very pleasent stay will be back with the family next time

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

It was so kind of you to write a review and a pleasure to learn that you were given a real 'Geordie' welcome which made you feel at home, particularly as you spend so much time travelling.

We were also glad that you enjoyed the decor and location and will be bringing your family to stay with us next time you visit Newcastle.

Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you and your family to the hotel soon.

Regards

Reviewed September 29, 2010

As someone who grew up in Newcastle and is now living in London, I've always wanted to stay at the Copthorne and its reputation precedes it. I was, however, embarassed to have taken my colleagues there. The hotel was once great, I have no doubt, but it's now dated with peeling paint and outdated decor (and this was in the exec rooms on the top floor!).
The toilet hadn't been cleaned properly and the service was shocking. I am still waiting for someone to help me fix my window! I waited for half an hour for some cooked breakfast and others around me had waited longer. My colleague waited 20 minutes for some coffee. Another colleague's tv didn't work for the 2 nights we were there despite repeated requests for it being fixed or replaced, and he said the pool was shabby with tiles missing from the roof. Oh and there was no wireless internet.
Don't stay here on business, I was very disappointed, and there's far nicer hotels around the Quayside such as Malmaison, or Hotel du Vin.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank smash413
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday 25 September. We had just arrived back in Newcastle after our boat journey from Holland and thought it would be nice to finish off the holiday and spend some time in Newcastle, as my birthday was on Sunday 26th. What a huge disappointment it was. The room was large, but a very small double bed, everything about the room was tired, mould in the bathroom around the bath and shower area, the plugs didn't fit, smell in the bathroom and room. Air condition didn't work and the room got very hot during the night. Breakfast was very poor. Food quickly disappeared and the wait for replenishment was long, when it arrived it was cold, not much pleasure eating cold fried eggs. Restaurant was closed on Saturday! Staff very disorganised, they seemed to be chasing each other and not getting very far. The breakfast room wasn't big enough and the serving area where the hot food was served was too small. My friend is disabled and she used the disabled toilet in the main reception area - it was filthy, no toilet paper. She told a receptionist. On Sunday it was in exactly the same condition. She complained to the duty manager. Light fittings broken on the wall, only one elevator working. It really doesn't deserve its 4 star, not even a 3 star. I would avoid this 'faulty towers' at all cost.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
CopthorneNewcastle, P.A. to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2010

Dear Guest

We were very sorry to learn of the problems you experienced during your recent stay with us and for the disappointment this caused you.

Please be assured that all the shortfalls you have brought to our attention will be investigated and acted upon.

We would like to sincerely apologise to your friend for the appauling condition she found the wash rooms, this is totally unacceptable and we be investigating how this situation was allowed to happen.

We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you in more detail. Would you kindly contact me at the hotel so that I can offer a personal apology for failing you on this occasion.