“100% better than the Hilton.”

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
Reviewed January 23, 2010

We had a perfect stay!! Lovely room, lovely staff and a lovely view of the Tyne. Only minus point was breakfast wasn't very well pointed out, which didn't impact on our stay at all. The sausages with breakfast were by far the best sausages I have ever had! Totally the opposite of everything at Manchester deansgate Hilton a few weeks before.

2  Thank bertybot
CopthorneNewcastle, Review Analyst at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments on our hotel; we are delighted you had a perfect stay.

Your comment regarding the signage for breakfast will be addressed straight away and we thank you for pointing this out.

We are glad you enjoyed our sausages your compliment has been passed to Chef.

Hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed January 13, 2010

Went to stay in Newcastle for weekend, great city for shopping and getting around. Copthorne situated by waterside great base, 10 minute walk to city centre, lovely stroll in evening to easy reach bars and restaurants if thats what you want. We stayed 2nd night in and ate in hotel great food also. Staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms clean, modern and very comfortable. We used taxi's very cheap and easy to get. Lovely spacious entrance to hotel with sofas to sit and relax and enjoy a drink

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank ni2009
CopthorneNewcastle, P.A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments on your recent stay at the hotel.

We are delighted you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and to the City and hope that you will return again soon.

Best regards

Reviewed January 13, 2010

I stayed in the Copthorne with a group of colleagues on business; we primarily chose the Hotel based on its location.

On entering my room I noticed it was quite cold and that the heating controls were in fact not working. I reported this to reception and was told an effort would be made to repair it. Nothing happened and after 3 calls it was getting late so had to go to bed a bit chilly. The next day I asked them again what was being done and was told an engineer would look at the problem. After returning from work that day I noticed all my possessions had gone in the room, they had moved them to another room with working heating but had not informed me.

Other issues in the rooms consisted of random pot luck on furniture, for example getting a desk chair or not. Smell of sewage in the bathroom. Internet access in the rooms was from the 80s providing Modem Dialup access only at ridiculous rates, if you have dial up access that is.

The food in the Hotel was distinctly average along with the service of the staff; I also contracted a stomach bug whilst there along with other colleagues.

I do like to keep fit and attended their fitness room where 50% of the equipment was actually broken and the water cooler empty.

The general feeling of the group after the experience was that we will not be returning.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jrushKent_Uk
CopthorneNewcastle, Hotel Review Analyst at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2010

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review on our hotel. I am sorry that your visit to our hotel was unsatisfactory, your feedback has been taken very seriously and we will be looking very carefully at your concerns to make improvements where we can.

I am sorry that you found your room to be cold, this was reported to our Maintenance Department and immediate action was taken. I apologise for the fact that you were not informed of your room move by the Front Office team. We endeavoured to ensure your comfort by moving you to another room as soon as possible and I can only apologsie that we failed to advise you of this.

With regards to internet access, the company are currently in the process of upgrading our facilities to provide more accessible internet access to all bedrooms.

We were very concerned to note that you contracted a stomach bug during your visit to Newcastle. It is company procedure that all incidents have to be investigated by our independent food hygiene and Health and Safety consultants and in order to undertake an investigation we would request that you please contact the hotel as soon as possible.

I would also like to assure you that regular visits from our food consultants take place to ensure the highest standards of hygiene and safety are in place and the Copthorne Newcastle has a very high standard under the requirements of current food hygiene legislation.

Thank you once again for your feedback which is very important to us and very much appreciated.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Reviewed January 7, 2010

I stayed 2 nights as a business traveller and jave to say my experience was not brilliant. The annoying thing is that all of the negatives are easily put right but whn you travel for business you just want no hassle and no waste of time.
Main issues of concern:
On arrival car park barrier is fixed open - security issue?
After trudging to room the key card did not work, this happend again the next day with the same room
Room was cold and despite heating being on it never really got hot.
Restaurant was taken over by Christmas parties and despite a reservation I was turned away so I did room service. 2nd night I just did bar food
No desk chair in room, only lounge chair, not much good if you need to work
Some positives:
Great location I suspect in summer
Breakfast staff were excellent
Rooms are big, well mine was.
No I don't want the std corporate response by the GM's PA. Thank you

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
CopthorneNewcastle, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2010

Dear Guest

Firstly I would like to thank you for your comments which are extremely important to us and very much appreciated.

With regards to your comments regarding the car park barrier, I can assure you that security is very important to us and immediately the equipment failed our contractor was contacted and the situation rectified.

I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced when the key card did not work, we have now taken action to ensure that all key cards operate effectively.

Your visit to the hotel was during a particularly cold spell and I am sorry that you did not find the heating to be effective enough. We have made provisions within the hotel for additional heaters during this time to ensure the comfort of our guests.

I regret that you were unable to dine in the restaurant on your first night. We hope that should you be returning again in the future you will have the opportunity to experience this.

Thank you for your positive comments, I do hope that you will consider staying with us again sometime in the future.

If you would like to discuss your stay further with us please do not hesitate to contact the hotel.

Reviewed December 30, 2009

Arrived at the copthorne at 3.35 pm after 4 hours travelling our room wasnt yet ready,so we went into the bar to get something to eat, i ordered club sandwich and my husband ordered a burger 1 tea and 1 coffee after 30 minutes the food arrived,we asked where our beverages was and he said he had forgot them,so far impressions werent very good.got checked in at 4.30 room lovely and clean very satisfied,day1 ordered cooked breakfast no complaints apart from it could have been warmer and should have had a cover over it to keep it warm and also for hygiene.day 2 ordered same breakfast again not covered, sat down to eat no butter for toast and no cutlery had to call reception,someone arrived 5 mins later with cutlery and butter by this time food freezing service very sloppy there was only about 20 guests so they werent rushed off there feet

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
CopthorneNewcastle, P..A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review which is very important to us.

We were sorry to read of the service problems you experienced in the Food and Beverage area of our operation and would like to assure you that these have been taken on board and will be addressed as soon as possible to ensure that improvements are made.

Thank you once again and we hope that you will return to the hotel sometime in the futuure.

Reviewed December 29, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for three nights over Christmas and found the welcome, helpfulness and general cheerfulness of the staff to be brilliant. We have absolutely no complaints about the staff with one possible exception.

Where we have minor complaints, however, are with the facilities and, I suspect, whoever made up the rota in the kitchens on Boxing Day evening.
Firstly, the facilities. We chose this hotel partly on the fact that it has a gym and swimming pool. The pool is fine along with a sauna and steam room although the changing rooms are tatty and in need of refurbishment. The same applies to the 'fitness' suite where it is substantially below par and the running machines really need replacement with modern equipment.

The food, as I've said in the title, was excellent and we were aware when we booked that the hotel was running a reduced service through the dates we were staying. However, when we attempted to order room service on Boxing Day evening, we were unable to order hot food even though we were ordering within the times where the kitchens should have been open. We were told that the food was being prepared by the porters and while it wasn't quite what we wanted to order, what we did get in the end was very good.

The staff, as I've said, were exemplary and the location of the hotel on the river and close to the railway station, shopping and bars was superb. I would happily recommend the Copthorne Newcastle to anyone for leisure or business with only the leisure facilities as a black mark. I do not believe the food issues would occur at any other time of the year.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
CopthorneNewcastle, P.A. to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive feedback which is very much appreciated.

We were very pleased to read that you found the staff to be exemplary and the location of the hotel to be superb.

We apologise for the issue you had with Room Service food on Boxing Day and this will be addressed. We are however delighted that f during your stay you found during your stay.

We do hope that you will return to the hotel in the future and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Thank you once again for taking the time to give us your comments which are very much appreciated.

Reviewed November 25, 2009

We moved from Newcastle to cumbria 5 years ago, then the copthorne had a very good reputation, that is why we booked this hotel when we decided to visit Newcastle with some of our new cumbrian friends. Although the rooms were large I definately agree with other reviews that state that the rooms are dated. We had a suite the beds were clean and comfy unlike the sofa and chairs which were stained and saggy.The bathroom was clean but the shower curtain kept sticking to you,for a 4 star hotel a glass screen would have been much better. The rooms were very warm we could open our window but our friends room had a window that could not be opened.
The breakfast on the sunday moring was beyond disapointing .It was buffet service as they were very busy , the food was look warm and the fried eggs weren't cooked properly.
We are in the catering business ourselves and know what temperatures cooked food should be kept at and the chef had definately got it wrong or the hot plates had failed him ! However on the Monday morning things improved as it was waiter service and the food was cooked to order ,we decided to give it ago and weren't disappointed. The entrance and bar area are fine but the decor on the landings and bedrooms need updating. The location of this hotel is excellent very handy for shopping and Newcastles night life.However the bed rooms and dangerous buffet breakfast let them down. For the price paid it should have been much better .

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
CopthorneNewcastle, P..A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2009

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I can assure you that your comments have been taken very seriously, particularly your views on the breakfast service which have been forwarded to our Head Chef for his attention.
We are glad that you liked the location of the hotel and hope that you had a good journey back to Cumbria.
Thank you once again, your feedback is very important to us.

Hotel Review Analyst