“Quite content”

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
“Quite content”
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

A friend recommended this hotel and I can't think of any major disappointments having stayed there for 3 nights. Customer service and facilities totally met my expectations based on the price paid. I didn't love the food on the first night so chose to eat elsewhere the rest of my stay. But I used the great advice from staff and the gym facilities to great satisfaction. I'm a fan of the river views from the room too.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Glenn J
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Many thanks for your positive review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service and the general quality of the hotel facilities. Constructive feedback on dinner duly noted (normally a key strength). I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Ken Ellington, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I paid quite a lot of money to stay for 3 nights + breakfast but then you had to pay extra again for an English breakfast. We ate in the hotel every night which also added another £200 and then we had to pay for parking which was a bit of a joke! overall was very disappointed with my stay and very expensive for all that was offered. unfortunately I would not stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie R
Sorry to read that your stay did not meet your personal expectations. In the absence of much detailed information within the review, there is unfortunately not a great deal of feedback upon which I can base a response. From a car parking perspective, every city centre hotel in Newcastle charges for this facility, with ours the cheapest for any comparable hotel at £5.00 per night (some are up to £16 per night).

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

It doesn't start well. Of all the things needing sorting the first is the lift from the car park. Tatty and a bit smelly, this should be a priority. Once you are actually in the hotel things get a lot better very quickly. Reception was faultless throughout the stay. The room was large and comfortable. We didn't eat in the hotel, but only because we were too busy. The location is excellent, with doors onto the quayside and views from the room along the Tyne. We used the gym and swimming pool, which were adequate, and briefly tried the steam room which was appropriately steamy. The staff were very good and there were no bad surprises. Even the many Australians staying for the T20 cricket were very pleasant. We got a good deal on the price (Top Secret Hotel), but would not have been upset paying a little bit more.

Room Tip: Rooms upstream are closer to the slightly noisy metro bridge
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the standard of guest service, bedroom quality, leisure facilities and the strong hotel location on the banks of the River Tyne. Your constructive comment with regard to the car park lift is very well timed, as we have been organising for some time to conduct an upgrading project at the start of September, with works taking place this week. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Cumbria
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I checked in for a two night stay and have been more than satisfied with the experience. OK so the room was a bit dated and tired but we understand that this is being addressed with a refurbishment programme in place as we speak. Highlight was the hospitality afforded by all the staff we came in contact with who could to have been more friendly and helpful and this included reception, cleaning, bar and restaurant personnel. To be honest as long as our room is clean, which it was, we can always forgive things like tiredness of the decor if the staff are of a high standard and this is certainly the case at the Copthorne. Thanks guys and see you again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank wrighty320
Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service and bedroom cleanliness. Great hospitality is the cornerstone of the hotel, and I am really pleased that this has made such a positive impact on your stay. We are, as you mention, in the midst of a lot of refurbishment work at present with regard to positive development of the hotel product (eg. September / October will see re-carpeting and a lot of new furniture coming into bedrooms). I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.
Gerroa, Australia
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Its always hard to be critical of any establishment that is older style and in need of a smarten up. I note in the other reviews that the manager has taken the time to respond, and references the refurbishment regularly. The hotel does need a fair amount of work to bring it up to a true 4 star hotel and with it more modern decor, furniture/fittings etc. This is not to say that there are other features that make up for the overall aesthetics. The staff are fantastic and the location is certainly an absolute winner - right on the Tyne, its a beautiful spot. So apart form the slightly tired appearance in the rooms, some of the other points to mention; you have to pay for wi-fi, not many places do this now, and there are no safes in the rooms. The restaurant - I'm afraid this needs some work too. It seems as though the Chef, and I use the term cautiously because I dont think there is any formal training there - or he/she had the night off; has been given a target by the management to meet a strict budget. The meal sizes are quite small for the price asked, the meal descriptions and actual plated courses that arrive are not the same. It seemed anywhere a pound could be saved by cutting a mushroom in half, or slicing a lemon as thin as a wafer this was done. The sauces were runny (pasta), or didnt come out at all (steak). The pasta mains really were entre size (this is something that wont cost much to improve but will certainly make a difference), the grilled trout looked as though it had been pressed with a spatula (skin was crispy but the fish was too), steaks not cooked properly, the garnishes could be simply and cheaply improved (ie they were kind of bistro fare) etc. In addition, a few little things that the staff should remember (although they are very charming). Serve from the left, take from the right; dont lean over the guests to remove plates; when the main is meat, the plate is placed with the meat immediately in front of the guest. etc (little things, but important if you want to hit the 'fine dining' benchmark). The room is awesome, the outlook fantastic, and for the hotel's sake it would be great to see the restaurant really kick into gear. I'd love to come back and see it humming. This is a great establishment, the staff obviously take pride in their work, and I cant wait to see it refurbished. The Copthorne deserves to be a true 4 star hotel, at the moment its upgrading - Trip Advisor awards 3 (average) and 4 (very good), this place is not average. So 4 from me and all the best for the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service and the hotel location on the banks of the River Tyne. Your constructive feedback with regard to your dining experience is duly noted, and will be reviewed with my senior catering management team (Normally this area is a real strength). As you mention, we are in the midst of a lot of refurbishment work at present, with the next couple of months seeing re-carpeting and new furniture within a large number of bedrooms, and we are also planning a long-term re-decoration programme throughout all bedrooms at present. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My Copthorne Experience

As the title suggests I doubt there will be a more honest and in depth review of this hotel then the one I am about to share with you.

I arrived at the hotel and checked in 26/08/2012 on business and am still here over a year later. In this time I have seen many changes take place within the hotel from facilities to staff and have witnessed first hand some of the challenges faced and efforts of the hotel to ensure they live up to there values.

SERVICE- I have to say was it not for the service of the staff there would have been little chance of me staying for the length of time that I have whilst remaining so comfortable. I have received amazing levels of service from every department and witnessed the front line staff really go above and beyond to ensure that requests have been met. My personal requests (some rather Bizarre) have been met with enthusiasm and a can do attitude. Everything from having computers installed, art work handled and the installation of a piano in the suite. Now whilst you may feel that any guest spending that length of time is bound to get a high level of service and familiarity I can say I have had friends, colleagues and family stay of their own accord without the need for mention of my stay and had the same feedback. From single days to long weekends the staff really will go the extra mile you need only ask. If you have any doubts… stay, ask the question and see for yourself.

VALUE- Being an honest review this section is a little harder to compare given that it has been a ‘Business’ stay. I have found that in comparison to other hotels I have stayed in people may find it a little pricy however I can certainly say you get exactly what you pay for. The quality speaks for itself and the mere mention of The Copthorne Hotel in the city comes with a certain prestige and value. It is a fantastic hotel to stay in the quality of food from the bar and restaurant menus is to a high standard and as mentioned above they are more then happy to accommodate requests where needed.

SLEEP QUALITY- When I first arrived I was able to sleep comfortably I wouldn’t have raved reviews about anything mind but I could have a nice comfortable sleep and go about my day. With the installation of the Hypnos beds I can now happily sing the praises of ‘bed time’ the beds are a fantastic upgrade and have gone into every single room it seems not something reserved for those who spend extra but as a standard platform for every guest. The beds are quite large which is always a bonus when trying to catch 40 winks.

CLEANLINESS- I have to give praise to the amazing housekeeping staff who seem to be unsung heroes and go about there duties starting very early to ensure the hotel lives up to its face value. Only on a couple of occasions have I noticed something that maybe could have had closer attention to detail however I have never seen the same thing twice which goes to show the commitment the staff have to ensuring a high quality job is done. The rooms are cleaned constantly and on several occasions I have noticed staff are more then happy to come and do the room at a more convenient time (usually gym time) so as not to disturb. On a side note, If you get a chance to have a chat with George… do so… he is a character you will not forget in a hurry :)

LOCATION- A Massive high point for me is the location of the hotel. Right on the Quayside on the edge of the River Tyne it makes for some truly amazing viewing. The meeting rooms and 1st floor bedrooms provide a balcony so you can look out and take advantage of this. Although on the second floor I was lucky enough to view the red arrows fly over the river from a balcony recently by merely asking to do so. A three minute Taxi ride or 10 minute walk will have you right in the centre of town for shopping etc. If however you’re coming up for a good night out it’s is VERY handy having a short trip back to the hotel after celebrating!

ROOMS- Again when I originally checked in I found the rooms rather nice, clean and satisfactory. Nothing to complain about and nothing to overly rave about with the exception of the view. Some fantastic views of the river can be had from many rooms in the hotel. I did find the old style televisions slightly out of touch. However I can happily say that since the implementation of the new beds, flat screen televisions, new air conditioning systems I am more then happy with the accommodation and believe you will be too. Granted I have some ‘Home comforts’ now but again as I have mentioned many a time I feel you need only ask and there is no reason why you can’t enjoy the comforts of a hotel and home yourself. The maintenance team seem to experts in Playstation/ xbox installation and the reception dream team have some converters and adaptors for plugs so its really a win win.

SPA- As a man that cannot swim I can only critique the pool from a visual aspect and yes… it looks good. The gym I have used on a regular basis and will admit it is rather small and does not seem to keep in comparison with the rest of the hotel. Certainly if you have a regular gym membership in your home location you may feel that this does not compare, however… it does boast all the equipment you will need in there to have an intense work out. There are also some very friendly gym staff lend a hand if ever you are unsure. The beauticians and spa side seem very nice and there are always some good treatments on offer.

BREAKFAST- The Be All & End All of a hotel stay is usually breakfast after the night before and I can happily say you’re in for a treat. You have the classics all readily available as well as menus to order from the Kitchen. My personal favourite touch has been the ability to simply have it delivered to the room if needed. A word of credit to Siobhan and the team who are always on top of things and always quick to make any amends needed.

SUMMARY- In addition to the above Trip Advisor pre determined sections there are many things I could mention. Alison, The admin team and reservations team behind the scenes who have done great jobs in organising Weddings, parties and many events The Reception team Nikki, Rachel, Jo, Abby, Holly & Bromwen who always manage to keep a smile on there face in the face of all sorts of clientele and challenges that spring up. As the face of the hotel The Copthorne has got it right here and the girls do often give out advice on places to visit and have handy maps to pass out.
The Bar staff with Dan & Danielle. Multi tasking at its finest and whilst Danielle can hold down a decent conversation Dan will more then happily give his ‘insider’ knowledge of the upcoming sporting events,
Finally, the Management Team, Kenan, Johnny, Paul, Siobhan, Nikki and of course Ken. I have stayed in MANY hotels and whilst I agree this stay has been like no other given the length of time spent. I can also say none of my stays have been as enjoyable as this one. I have not been to many establishments with a team of staff as willing to go above and beyond to help people irrespective of hotels, workplace and suchlike. This is a great place to stay for a night, weekend, short break or if like me you’re lucky enough to pretty much move in whilst working on business.
My friends, colleagues and family have, and I most certainly do recommend The Copthorne Hotel Newcastle as a place to stay. I would urge anyone reading this to put what I have told you to the test and see for yourself.

Skeete

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank David S
Hi David. Many thanks for your incredibly detailed positive review, which has made the day for both myself and the team here! With a full year's stay as a permanent guest here, your experience offers a unique personal perspective on the hotel, and I'm delighted that the flexible approach adopted has worked so well for you. From our side, it's particularly great that you have witnessed first hand the many positive changes within the hotel over the past 12 months (with a lot more to follow!) I am sure that your comments will be of great interest to other tripadvisor readers, and I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write such a balanced and well reasoned review. I hope we will have the pleasure of continuing to look after you for many more months to come! Thanks again.
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Only spent 1 night here for a friends Stag night, the room was great and very clean and all the staff where very friendly, there is also a decent sized pool that is free to use for all guests. It is also just far enough away from all the usual weekend night life and street noise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service, bedroom facilities and cleanliness, swimming pool and the hotel location. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.