“top draw” 5 of 5 bubbles

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“top draw”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just stayed at the copthorne while visiting our son at uni.
Found it very pleasant indeed; the girls on recption very helpful as with restaurant and bar staff
the rooms very clean and comfortable ,we had an evening meal (good selection) and the breakfast very good would stay again without any question.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank guy m
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Many thanks for the great review. Delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and hope to welcome you back again soon.
Ken Ellington, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I booked "The Bobby Robson" suite at the copthorne hotel newcastle, to celebrate our wedding. The room was an ideal size for our intimate reception of 12 members of immediate family. The events coordinator was a great help in ensuring the lead up to our big day went smoothly and the attentiveness and service provided by the operations manager and his staff on the day was top rate. The food was fantastic and the children's portions were massive! We booked a room for the night and were upgraded to a suite and were even surprised with a complimentary bottle of bubbly in our suite!
We had a truly amazing day and I was made to feel like an absolute princess. Thank you to all at the copthorne newcastle for such a memorable day!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank LANorton
Many thanks for the great review following your recent special event held here. Delighted that everything went so well, and we wish you both all the best in your future together. Hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Decided to stay at the Copthorne Newcastle again in December. This time I went with my mother for our annual Christmas shopping trip and chose to stay over, having enjoyed being here previously (I had stayed in October with my husband and friends).

Despite the negative comments about this hotel, I think it's ok. Agreed, it does need refurbishing (and badly in places) but it is clean and the breakfasts are really very good indeed. Our breakfast was superb the following morning with a lovely choice of fruit, yoghurt and had a smoked haddock (huge portion, lovely white meat) and two perfectly executed poached eggs.

However my stay this time did fall short of expectations in a few areas hence the reason I have not given it a 4 rating this time round. On checking-in (service here is always friendly) I noticed that there was no mention of our restaurant booking on the booking card. We thought this was odd and queried it with Leoni - she explained that there was a large office christmas party which was taking place in the restaurant so no meals were going to be served. Now, this is a hotel - there should be some provision for resident guests to eat.

Bearing in mind I had cancelled a previous booking in another establishment but then decided to eat at Copthorne instead, so two days before our stay I rang Copthorne to reserve a table in Quay 7 - there was no mention of the restaurant being out of bounds when I booked. I explained this to Leoni and asked her to do the honours and ring Cafe 21 round the corner to book us a table, this was done and all sorted (so I thought). Mum and I were disappointed not to be eating at the hotel as it was a chilly wintery night and we didn't really fancy venturing out to another venue.

We decided to have coffee in the bar and on chatting to one of the waitresses there, the subject popped up about dining as she asked us what our plans were for the rest of the day (as you do in the Hospitality business as this is what customer care is all about). She was puzzled when we explained that we couldn't dine in the restaurant because of the large function and was promptly told that the staff were laying out extra tables in the bar for residents who wanted to dine! `We always have to cater for our residents', said she. Absolutely right.

Conclusion: lack of vital communication between Front Desk and F&B. So off we trotted back to reception to explain this and was met with a blank face - we cancelled the poor old Cafe 21 yet again and opted to eat in the bar (back to square 1). Really - a hotel of this calibre should not get things like this wrong - Millennium Copthorne Group are a huge enterprise that are known the world over - come on, guys!

Food was...I would say average. Opted for the mussels which although tasty were very small. We both had the lamb shank which were huge - lovely generous portion although over-killed with too much red wine jus. If you are going to serve jus, gravy, sauce - then PLEASE put it in a gravy boat so we can put this on ourselves. A drizzle for presentation is quite apt at the beginning. All was served with a friendly, professional service from a lovely girl from Castleford or Garforth (Zoe I think she was called).

Wine is very reasonably priced here and a good selection too. I have eaten in many establishments where the same wine has been nearly double in price and frankly, any excuse to rip people off. Copthorne Newcastle is not overpriced, I think, for anything.

Moving onto the spa and pool - a big hmmm for this. Advertised on the website is `take advantage of the hotel's outstanding leisure facilities. Anything but I am afraid, Copthorne - you are no Rockliffe Hall (but you could be)

The pool was, however, just the right temperature but the jacuzzi pool was out of action, no sauna and worse still, no private cubicles to get changed into. I really hate getting unchanged/changed with strangers around me - some people may like it and I know Rockliffe have this option (but also lovely private cubicles) but do spare a thought for those of us who want some privacy! To be honest, the whole leisure experience was rather sad. The staff in there were decidedly uninterested in anything. Obviously this was a fab area in the past but the grandeur has definitely fallen to the bottom of the Tyne! The only thing I liked here was the nice subdued lighting which gave it a warm and cosy feel. The changing areas, in comparison, were freezing.

The spa has so much potential to be absolutely first class, the location in particular with its' views from a lounger across the Tyne to get a bird's eye view of boats, passers-by, trains and fishermen all day - this could be a real jewel in their crown.

Personally, I love the Copthorne despite my misgivings here. It is in a prime, splendid location with fabulous views of the Tyne and Newcastle's famous bridges, just off the beaten track from the city but still being very much part of the city, it is not ridiculously priced, rooms are clean and staff are great. I read from the GM's responses that this place is undergoing extensive refurbishment currently (or very shortly) - I hope so - for their sake. M&C need to address issues here in order to keep up with some very hard competition out there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the constructive review. We're in the midst of a refurbishment programme throughout the hotel at present, which is making a very positive impact to the property. Clearly there has been an issue with conflicting messages on the day regarding available dining facilities, as a private area is always available to diners in the event of the restaurant being booked for a private event (actioned at this end). The leisure club is also undergoing a facelift w/c: 4 March 2013, which should have a positive impact on this facility. Hope to welcome you back again soon.
Cumbria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Ended up here after being left "stranded" (thanks booking.com!) - arrived at hotel we had confirmation of to be told they had no record of any booking and they were booked up. It was blowing a blizzard and freezing so managed to get in at the Copthorne - a treat we thought, 4 stars. The main foyer is cold and charmless. On entering room we were surprised to find a standard double bed, thought 4* would have kingsize. The two chairs by the window were completely worn and frayed, the television was not flat screen, the lampshade by bed was stained and the bathroom had a horrendous smell and no free wifi. To say it was a disappointment is putting it mildly but as it was only for one night and because of the mess up by booking.com we decided to just put up with it. Not the treat we envisaged.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CathTony

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

I didn't rate value or Rooms on here as I never stayed here I entertained a wedding party.

I have to say on first arrival a young lady helped me with a trolly up to the multi storey and down with my equipment to the banquet suite. The managers there, bar staff, night porter, reception staff were very friendly, kept asking if I was okay, wanted a drink etc, etc. I was also given a key to a conference room to get changed in as well.

I had some of the buffet food which was tasty and a good variety to chose from.

With my job I travel all around the world and I found the staff very welcoming and helpful this I feel does go a miss in many hotels and tbh they didn't need to put them self out to help me but they did so I felt a review on here was the least I could do.

• Stayed February 2013
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We booked our wedding with the Copthorne way back in Feb 2011 for Feb 2013, alI we can say is that from start to finish they were brilliant. Suzi the wedding planner went through everything with us in fine detail, arranging us to view wedding setups so as we could get a picture of the layout. Nothing was ever too much trouble to them.
My sister and I stayed the night before along with my sister/brother in law and nephew and his wife from the time I checked in on the Friday night I was made to feel so relaxed. The rooms were warm and cosy.
On our big day we had the master of ceremonies and banquting manager Johnny and Keenan on hand all day to oversee the event and they were fantastic, could not fault these guys at all.
When our dessert was brought the effort that they had gone to to add personal congratulations in chocolate sauce around the edge of mine and my hubby's plates was awesome, they say your wedding day is a special day and by did this team make this an extremely special day for us.

When we retired to our room well after 12am the staff had taken all our gifts to our room and laid them out for us and scattered our bed with red rose petals, these little things that we were not aware of and had not asked for was so touching.

We would have no hesitations in recommending this as a venue for anyone planning a wedding, the added bonus is the setting for some fantastic photos of Newcastle and its bridges.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple