Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
$66
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$79
$66
Royal Station Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$58
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$67
$56
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Indigo Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$96
$80
HotelIndigo.com
  • Restaurant
Malmaison Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$95
$91
  • Restaurant
Staybridge Suites Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Breakfast included
$88
$73
$80
$68
Trip.com
  • Restaurant
Jesmond Dene House(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$90
2,108 results
All reviewsoverlooking the riverbay windowclub roomafternoon teabit datedcar parkcity centrewould stay againbars and restaurantslovely roomstayed here for one nightcouldn't faultfull englishsaturday nighttynequaysidenewcastle
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at Copthorne hotel in Jan 2013 for three nights. I was on business trip. At first impression the hotel looks wonderful. However, the hotel lacks of service and maintenance.

On arrival and after a very long day I wanted to order some food using the hotel’s room service. The food menu was nowhere in the room. So I tried to call the reception for assistance. Nobody answered the phone for at least 7 minutes. I decided to go downstairs to speak with the receptionist in person. I noticed that she was very busy as there was 6 people waiting most likely to check-in the hotel. The hotel did not cater for the call to be redirected to an available person. Eventually I got the food menu given by a nother receptionist that suddely came out of the office.

Back at the room the window was broken. You could open the window but you would not close due to extremely poor maintenance. The hinges were badly bent. I called for help for that matter.

Food quality was ok but not to the standards of Millennium Hotels which Copthorne is part of.

At the room there was no free Internet access which nowadays is free in most hotels. I travel a lot for business and 9 out 10 hotels provide free internet access.

There were two single beds in the room which both were in bad condition as the mattresses would slightly tilt to the left; again very poorly maintained room.

I found the room a bit cold as well. The thermostat did not work.

The bathroom showed that was also neglected; probably more than fifteen years old. Mold was visible in the corners of the bath. The rest of the bathroom was satisfactory clean.

The only good thing I can say about the hotel is that the view from the room was spectacular as it would look towards the river.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Harrold S
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Like other reviews we found our room cold and survived with an oil fired heater. We were told we had received a complimentary upgrade for a room overlooking the river. Unfortunately it also smelled of smoke and the train and metro line could be heard until late at night and from around 5 in the morning. Our room, while spacious, was tired and had seen better days. We only had one towel and rang down for another one, which never came. Upon checking out we were told we had to pay for the upgrade at which point we were a little miffed. However, the staff after our explanations, did waive the upgrade fee.

On the plus point, the staff on the desk were helpful (despite the lack of towels) and I did feel sorry for them because it was cold and I felt they were trying their best. I didn't feel the hotel was worth the money that we paid.

Room Tip: While it is nice to have a river view you do have to contend with the noise of the train lines. Probably best to have one facing the road. Also rooms on the top floor are cold, maybe go for lower down.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jb102
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed on business for 3 nights in January 2013...The staff are friendly and it seems working under extreme conditions. I had stayed last year (2012) and they were advertising that they were renovating the hotel from the top down...obviously it hadn't reach my room yet...There was no heating in the room (except for a small oil filled radiator). The balcony door did not close properly and allowed the cold air off of the Tyne into the room. There was no remote for the TV and it took 90 mins to get me a replacement...All in all...very shoddy !! And why haven't the hotel management addressed any of these comments posted in the past few week !!!

Room Tip: Find another hotel...at least until there is a mark improvement in these reviews.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Stephen R
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed here in January 2012, and all I can say is it was cold! The heating in the entire hotel appeared not to be working. The lobby was freezing and the poor reception staff were huddled around a heater in the back room, only coming away from it to deal with guests.
The rooms were equally as cold. No heating and a mobile electric radiator was provided in the room for heat, although it didn't really work. To warm up I decided to hit the sauna etc (part of teh reason I decided to stay here), but I was told that the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi were not working.
The staff at the hotel were really nice and chatty. They advised that the heating problem had been going on for some months and appeared embarresed about.
The rooms were tired and in a need of a revamp. They still had old bulky TV's which I guess were put in when the hotel first opened.
All in all I was disappointed. I remember when the hotel opened and it was impressive. Its really gone downhill (apart from the staff). I would not recommend staying here, if you have to, check if the heating is working first!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank GeordieCub
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on a few occasions and have never been dissapointed with the service.
For the last 2 years we have held our work christmas party here, the food was lovely and the service fantastic, we had the party's booked on one of the busiest weekends of the year, all the function rooms were full but the food was fresh, hot and tasty.
The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the night (and the DJ more than accomodating of our party song requests). The rooms are clean and airey with no complaints from any of our party. The buffet breakfast in the morning was lovely with attentive waiting staff in the breakfast room. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends