2,219 results
All reviewsquay restaurantoverlooking the riverbay windowclub roomafternoon teabit datedcity centrecar parkwould stay againbars and restaurantslovely roomstayed here for one nightcouldn't faultfull englishsaturday nighttynequayside
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Firstly to explain my poor rating. If this hotel was £50 a night it would be ok and I would have given it a 3. But at the price my company paid I could only give it a mark of 2.

I arrived in the midst of a snow storm and after parking in their multi storey car park I took the lift down. They say first impressions count....oh dear. The lift smelt of damp, the walls had cracks and were dirty and the carpet threadbare. Walking into the Hotel I thought it looked lovely...except it was freezing in there! Oh well. Booking in was a chore because at 6.15pm...just when all the businessmen were turning up, there was only one person on reception.

I arrived at my room and my initial impression was one of tiredness. The TV went out with the ark. Seriously! Who uses one of those huge old square TV's now? The room was absolutely freezing, so like other reviews here I put the hot air blower on, only to notice that it was blowing cold air 10 mins later. Luckily there was a small mobile heater in the room that I put on while having a Shower. Again, maintenance was poor as the shower had 2 settings. Boiling and freezing.

It's at this point that I started looking at things, as you do when your initial impression isn't good. The Toilet was too high. I am 6ft, but sitting on it had me on tip toes. The sink is too low, it should be at waist height not near my knees, and it looked like an afterthought bolt on. There was a door leading through to the next room which looked old and flimsy and then the worst thing of all. I called reception and asked how I log on to the internet.

Now call me picky but I stay in £50 rooms with free wifi...infact I stay in £30 rooms with free wifi. So why the hell should I stay in a £120 room and pay £5 to use the internet? This is rediculous!!

After a night out I slept well enough and in the morning the view was nice. This brings me on to the better points. The breakfast was good, views nice and staff welcoming and friendly.

Thats it.

After reading this review my recommendation would be to book the Premier Inn half a mile further up the road and at half the price. Or pay the extra £20 and stay at the Hilton. Don't stay here.

For the owners please read my review. This Hotel could be great but it needs substantial investment and especially maintenance. It looks like a hotel struggling to stay open and the numbers staying there seemed to prove that.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have stayed for two nights and the hotel is well located, but the room looks stopped in the last century, with a really slow and expensive internet connection. The good things are the indoor pool with a nice view and the breakfast!

Next time I will look for a better option.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Got ther at 17.30 on an admittedly very cold Friday night, reception was baltic the few people that could brave sitting in it all had heavy coats well closed up. The warmth and freindliness of the receptionist perk us up. Got to our romm (302) first thing to hit us was the cold next was the large burnt hole in the lamp shade. Not to worry a good size if not a little tired. We dumped our stuff and decided to go for a drink after our long journey from Scotland I set the heating on full and we thought good be nice and warm by the time we get back. Went to the "ice" lounge as we now call it eventually found a table that wasnt covered in glasses or crockery had two drinks and left for our by now warm room. Nope room was even coulder heating wasn't working, I called reception who immediately told me they would send up a portable heater, we very very quickly got chnged to go for something to eat, still waiting for the heater 25 minutes later I called reception again to be told they were having a problem with housekeeping and the arrival of the heater was imminent. Some 15 minutes later we were ready, minus the heater. On the way out I complained that the heater had never arrived and that I most certainly wanted it in our room for our return. Heater was there we slept weel enough had breakfast minus toast as the toaster tripped out three times during us trying to make some, the staff kept reseting the extention cable behind the table but to no avail. We paid and left, never to return.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at the Copthorne recently for an overnight. We had stayed there regularly almost since it openned. As always the staff were welcoming and professonal, the location is wonderful, parking easy and views wonderful. The price was excellent too a couple of pounds more than a Premier Inn. The hotel is showing its age and some of the fittings and furniture worn but we were told they are in the process of a major refit. If the improved heating system is anything to go by then it should bring the hotel back up to its previous luxury standard.

Room Tip: Try for a room on then first floor they have juliet balconies.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed here 1 night for business trip. Disappointing check in when I specifically asked about the Wifi and then had to come back down to give them a swipe of my credit card, why the receptionist didn't for this when I was checking in I do not know. Think it's crazy when you have to pay for Wifi, even if it is only £5 per 24 hours.

I had steak for my dinner as room service which wasn't very good. The room itself was very tired looking and needed refurbishment, though it was nice to have a small balcony which looked out over the Tyne. I went swimming - the pool was empty so I could do laps which was good. The jacuzzi was closed off which wasn't great.

Breakfast was good - I was pleased with the Eggs Benedict that I ordered and the buffet was good.

Overall an OK stay.