“Overpriced and dated” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Vermont Hotel
Kent, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and dated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed at this Hotel for 3 nights, travelled to Newcastle from Belfast. It was a big mistake to stay at this hotel when you consider the choice in the area for same or less room rate. Very dated, only 1 lift working, this would normally not be a problem but after my wife suffered an injury in the hazardous room 1103, she was unable to take the stairs. Complained to the General Manager but was just fobbed off with feeble excuses about spending money to bring the hotel into the real world. Health and safety would have a field day in this establishment.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1103
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mark_harrington2
Shadia T, General Manager at The Vermont Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback; as a company we rely on people like yourself leaving feedback to let us know where we perform well and likewise where we do not.

Can I firstly apologise for the poor experience you feel you had at the Vermont Hotel. This is certainly not the impression that we wish to leave with our guests and please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt this way. As discussed, the current improvement program does include the replacement of one of our guest lifts, and will help to return The Vermont Hotel to the standards our guests have come to expect.

I appreciate that your wife did hurt her toe on the door stop in your bedroom, and therefore struggled with the stairs. Once agian, I really do hope that you can accept my apologies for the issues you raised.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed at The Vermont as a mini honeymoon but unfortunately we were both quite unwell throughout our entire visit because of this we didn't really venture out of our room but we have to say when we did and when we encountered any staff members we were treat with the utmost courtesy. They were all extremely professional and extremely polite, their customer service skills were second to none. Our room was immaculate, wifi worked perfectly and both televisions worked with an array of channels. We would have loved to have been able to take a look around the Hotel in more detail but could not because of our circumstances. We only live a stones throw away from Newcastle but if we were to have cause to celebrate with a trip there again we would definitely stay at The Vermont.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Congratualtions on your recent nuptuals. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the wonderful feedback that you left following your special visit to the Vermont Hotel.

It really does mean a lot to us all that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate at the Vermont in the very near future.
new zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

I read the mixed reviews but as I was attending a meeting there and it was only for one night I booked a room and hoped for the best. A big mistake.
The room was dire. "Tired decor " would be a flattering description.The room had a strange odour like "moth balls", the carpet was badly stained, the wallpaper marked, the wall had holes where a fitting had been removed. The window was so dirty it was barely possible to see out ( as were the windows in the ballroom where the conference was held). There was no radio , no TV remote so no TV. The minibar was in a strange cut down drawer in a desk. There was a fridge containing a rather elderly jug of milk and what looked like a lump of semi melted butter in a cup. The bed had no cover other than the white duvet cover and the bed itself was old and lumpy Toiletries were minimal. Would 2 pots of shower gel have been too much? The advertised free Internet barely worked in the room dropping out after minutes. There was a radiator but no air conditioning and the window could not be opened.
However after dark the in room lack of entertainment was alleviated by the club below the window . Loud music kept me awake into the early hours of the morning when I eventually dropped off to sleep from sheer exhaustion.
Service was variable. The girls at reception were pleasant. There was no receipt when I left my bag as my room was not ready so when I went back to get it I had to go in and pick it out. Not very secure. The concierge when I arrived completely ignored me and he taxi driver carried my bag in to reception. The concierge the next morning was much more helpful. One of the lifts was out of action the whole time I was there.
The lounge looked pleasant but was very busy.
The food I had at the conference was tasteless , so I did not eat in the hotel that evening and I was so keen to escape after my noisy stuffy night that I skipped breakfast and left the hotel early the next morning.
I have had much better accommodation for a fraction of the price charged by this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank holyisle

Can I firstly apologise for the poor experience you feel you had at the Vermont Hotel. This is certainly not the impression that we wish to leave with our guests and please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt this way. As part of the current improvement program a £4m investment will help to return The Vermont Hotel to the standards our guests have come to expect. In the interim, our bedroom rates are reflective of a hotel undergoing improvements and do we hope to compensate for some of the misgivings of our more dated bedrooms with exceptional guest service, cleanliness and food.

As a City Centre Hotel, we do occasionally have some noise disruption from neighbouring businesses. I can only apologise that this did impact your visit. We do have particularly quiet rooms in The Hotel which we would be happy to allocate should you wish to return to The Vermont Hotel.

I really do hope that you can accept my apologies for the issues you raised, and I will work with the team to ensure that this will not happen again.
Gateshead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

On Saturday night myself and my gorgeous wife booked into the hotel for a Special Treat. Staff at the Hotel reception where very friendly and helpful. When we went up to room it was a nice room but had a very funny smell of smoke and drainage which wasn't nice. my wife said it could be because doors where closed. we opened the bathroom door and windows when we went out. When we returned it was still there so I went to Reception and told the young lady and she straight away with out any problem moved us to another room on the next floor. the room was really nice and over looked the Tyne Bridge which was amazing. We went for our meal at 8.30 and again staff very friendly and helpful. meal was amazing couldn't fault anything even the wine was good. Would just like to say Thank You to the Hotel for making it a very Special day/night even with the little problem.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind comments which have been passed on to the team here at The Vermont Hotel.

We strive to ensure that every guest receives the warm welcome for which we have become renowned, and it really does mean a lot that you have enjoyed your special visit with us.

We hope to welcome you again soon!
Kendal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

stayed for a night this last weekend and was a bit concerned having read some of the reviews. Nothing negative to report. Car parking was little limited and had to wait for a space but otherwise enjoyed the stay. Room comfortable ( with toiletries I might add). Yes a little dated and looking out onto the railway line, but the room was clean and there was no noise disturbance from trains through the night - so happy days. Restaurant and staff lovely and a HOT full English breakfast enjoyed by all. Would certainly stay again and brill access to city centre on foot.

Room Tip: our room was a little dated and ready for an upgrade, however still clean and comfortable. Also back...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

As part of the current improvement program a £4m investment will help to return The Vermont Hotel bedrooms to the standards our guests have come to expect. We hope to have the oportunity to welcome you back to The Vermont Hotel once all is complete later this year.
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

The concierge David and another man whose name I didnt catch are very polite and helpful.
The room service menu is rather limited and pricy but the meals were very tasty and well cooked and presented.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. It really does mean a lot to us all that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will look forward to welcoming you back to the Vermont in the future.
Peterborough, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Ignore the recent spiteful reviews. This is a wonderful hotel in a great central location with traditional values of service and quality. After a fuss-free check in I found my room on the 10th floor with a fantastic view of the iconic bridges over the Tyne. Furniture included a writing desk, easy chair and proper wardrobe (often missing now in budget chain hotels). The obligatory hot drinks tray had some unusual but very tasty coffee and the TV was a large modern slim widescreen one which you could just turn on and watch easily. Some hotel TVs make you go through several screen choices just to get to the TV channels. The bathroom was luxurious with a slim bath (it fills quickly!), a massive mirror over the sink and yes there was a full set of toiletries and soap. The room was initially quite cool but a call to reception got an immediate visit to sort out the air conditioning heater unit and they insisted on giving me an extra electric heater just in case I needed it. The bed was very comfortable and I had a very refreshing night's sleep.
At breakfast in the morning I was impressed by the elegant room with little touches of detail such as a silver stand for the jars of jam and butter (please note a non-butter alternative should be offered), proper cup and saucer, personal toast rack etc. There was a good choice and variety of juices and hot and cold food from a buffet. I look forward to a cooked breakfast at a hotel and this did not disappoint. It was well presented, hot, non-greasy and very tasty.
I spent the day at a conference in the hotel and that was a good experience as well. The lecture room was impressively large and the AV setup was faultless; I suppose you only really notice it if it goes wrong. The drinks set up at break times could have done with more than one coffee station for 200 candidates but overall the quality and quantity of food was excellent.
Overall a very positive experience at a lovely hotel that stands head and shoulders above most of the hotels I have stayed in over the past few years (about 8-10 a year).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor with a view over the river (note the entrance is on floor 6).
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for the wonderful feedback that you left following your recent visit to the Vermont Hotel. Here at the Vermont we take feedback very seriously and with your help we are able to take the hotel forward in identifying what we areas we perform well in.

Attention to detail is paramount here at The Vermont Hotel, and it is wonderful to hear this does not go un noticed. It really does mean a lot to us all that you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you back to the Vermont in the very near future.