“Worst nights sleep ever!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Vermont Hotel

The Vermont Hotel
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Worst nights sleep ever!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Arrived at hotel with quite a few bags in tow, concierge standing in doorway but didn't offer to open door, nice reception area.
Room bit dated but adequate.
Bar service very poor, girl serving took order but came back to our table 3 times to check what we asked for, then finally to inform us that neither she nor concierge had heard of whisky which my husband had ordered, we then pointed to the actual bottle behind bar, which she said was too high up for her to see!
Then off to bed....no chance of sleeping though, the noise from outside bar was so loud!
At check out was never asked if had enjoyed stay, so told receptionist about noise levels to which she replied...'I know, it's awful isn't it?' Not really what we expected from this type of establishment!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Shadia T, General Manager at The Vermont Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Can I firstly apologise for the poor service you feel you had at the Vermont Hotel. This is certainly not the impression that we wish to leave with our guests and please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt this way.

Following your feedback, I have arranged a meeting with the front of house team to highlight the importance of you; our guest and ensure that everyone works together to deliver the Geordie welcome for which we are renowned!

As a City Centre Hotel, we do occasionally have some noise disruption from neighbouring businesses. I can only apologise that this did impact your visit. We do have particularly quiet rooms in The Hotel which we would be happy to allocate should you wish to return to The Vermont Hotel.

I really do hope that you can accept my apologies for the issues you raised, and I will work with the team to ensure that this will not happen again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and I went to the Vermont hotel for New Years Eve biggest mistake we ever made. We booked for the Sky Lounge Event with overnight stay as we had stayed at the hotel before and had a pleasant stay we were looking forward to the evening. What was billed as champagne and canapés was actually one glass of champagne in a plastic glass and the canapés consisted of a very salty tomato, a pineapple chunk coated in coconut, a salmon quiche and a crostini with a sundried tomato these were served after 10 o'clock as we weren't allowed into the venue until 9 this was so we could attend the other events in the hotel even though we had booked the sky lounge as this is how we wanted to spend our evening. There was only another 4 couples in the lounge the atmosphere was flat there was only one barman who took so long to make cocktails we were always waiting for a drink . We left at 11 to try and returned for the fireworks at 11.45 the lounge was suddenly full of people so again we couldn't get served and our view was from the back as so many others had all of a sudden appeared. When the fireworks were over everyone disappeared and the atmosphere went flat once more. My husband and I went to bed at 12.30 unable to cope with all the excitement. We paid £99 each for the event another £60 each for the overnight stay. I complained the next morning and sent an email when I returned home they acknowledged the email and said they would get back in touch I'm still waiting there customer service is a lot to be desired all in all don't go to this hotel for the Sky Lounge event total rip off.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all I would like to apologise to you on behalf of everyone here at the Vermont Hotel that you did not enjoy your New Year’s Eve with us to the fullest. I speak on behalf of the whole team when I express my disappointment that you were unsatisfied with the event.

We have received numerous complimentary emails and letters from guests, very happy with the New Year’s Eve celebrations, including the Sky Lounge package. We are disappointed that you were less satisfied than others attending on the evening.

I understand that a number of the Duty Managers have attempted to contact you, both by telephone and email but have so far been un sucessful. Should you have the time available, please call The Hotel at a convenient time so your comments can be discussed and addressed.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

from the time we arrived to he time we left the staff were attentetive they were very accommodating in every way they could the hotel was of a very high standard and I must say the breakfast was the best I have had in all my stays in hotels worldwide the hotel itself is very central and so convenient to all the local bars and only a five minute walk from central train station and all the major shops that Newcastle has to offer.my only gripe would be the noise level coming from the pub/nightclub( livello) next door to the hotel so go for a high room on the castle side views are still very good

Room Tip: go for higher level facing the castle keep
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Can I take this opportunity to thank you for this wonderful feedback. Here at the Vermont we take feedback very seriously and with your help we are able to take the hotel forward in identifying what we areas we perform well in.

It really does mean a lot to us all that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will look forward to welcoming you back to the Vermont in the very near future.
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I have to admit that this is one of the best hotels that I have ever stayed in. The location was perfect for central Newcastle and everything was within a short walk away.
From the moment you are welcomed at the doors of the hotel, and right through the check in process all the staff were very helpful and polite.

The room was spacious and very comfortable, ideal for my overnight stay.
The main bar area was an amazing room, with a decent choice of drinks not only on draught but also by bottle.

The next morning the breakfast was self service and was cooked to perfection

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your time and kind comments following your recent visit to The Vermont Hotel. Your feedback is very important to everyone here at The Hotel, and we hope to have the oportunity to welcome you back very soon.
Largs, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed here with my son as we were down from Scotland for the Newcastle match. The hotel was easy to get to with parking right at the front door.The location and views were first class. A very historic area of the city.The hotel was beautiful throughout.All the staff were very helpful and friendly and a credit to their employer.I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments which have been passed on to the team here at The Vermont Hotel. We strive to ensure that every guest receives the warm Geordie welcome for which we have become renowned, and it really does mean a lot that you have enjoyed your visit with us.

We hope to welcome you again soon!
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Could not fault this hotel at all really! Only draw back is the room could have done with a lick of paint! It was clean enough tho.

very helpful staff, nothing was too much trouble at all.

Great location and smashing proper pub right n the front door

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent visit to The Vermont Hotel.

As part of the forthcoming improvement program a £3m investment will help to return our guest bedrooms to the standards our guests have come to expect. In the mean while, it really does mean a lot to us all that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will look forward to welcoming you back to the Vermont in the very near future.
Yarm, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

I was very pleased with my stay which met my requirements and expectations at a very good price. The location is central and the public areas are warm and comfortable. The service was good, warm and friendly. The breakfast food was cooked to order and well presented. The room was a bit dark and tired but I noted that a refurbishment is underway. The only issue was that the wifi signal was too weak to work in my room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. Your comments regarding the wifi have been passed on to our IT management company, who hope to resolve any issues to ensure this does not impact again.

Once again, thank you for your comments. Here at the Vermont we take feedback very seriously and with your help we are able to take the hotel forward in identifying what we areas we perform well in.