Whites Hotel
  • Pool
$81
$66
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$59
$51
$87
$73
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$59
$56
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Staybridge Suites Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$93
$77
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Indigo Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$95
$79
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Jesmond Dene House(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$100
Malmaison Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
$95
$91
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Royal Station Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)(Great Value!)
$57
$55
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsbar blanccity centreosbourne roadfriendly receptionisttea and coffeenewcastle
Reviewed October 8, 2010

we had a great time staff very friendly great bar and local to everything will recommend to anyone!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a Hen Party, yes the car park at the rear of the hotel isn't great looking but its to park your car, and we had no probs on that score.
The reception staff were all very helpful and friendly. Its not the cleanest of hotels regarding reception area, hallways (which do of unexpected slopes and loose floorboards) and the breakfast area was a bit dire. The cutlery, dishes & especially the glasses were not very clean. The breakfast itself was plentyful and ok for the cost.
Members of our party experienced a lot of noise from the street infront which went on into the early hours but this area seems to be full of hens and stags. Our room was clean, tidy and had everything that you need.
Ok its not the best hotel but I have stayed in worse, and I might consider going back but would make sure I got a room at the rear of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 22, 2010

On arrival in the "secure" car park the alarm bells started to ring, how can a car park be described as secure when the gate doesn't close? It resembled a builders yard as there was a skip in the corner and timber and plasterboard in a few places throughout it but well publicised were the wheel clamping notices and from prior experience I know that the clampers split the money they get from the clampees with the premises they work on.

So we went towards reception and passed a toilet which I guess is open for all inmates (Oops I meant guests) , there was a charming smell of urine in the area so I'm assuming there's a problem with the plumbing(more of that later) the reception manager was extremely abrasive. She appears to be the type of person who is never wrong and delights in letting you know that. We were advised that as we had booked via the net breakfast was not included in the payment which was fair enough but when she said she would be there to check us out and therefore we would not be able to claim we were not told anything I had to bite my tongue. She said many times that we had to leave our keys in reception as they cant afford to replace them over and over again, as if one mention of that wouldn't be enough? but I thought we wouldnt be spending much time there so it didnt really matter.

We were allotted our rooms and all went to them and checked each others out. Now here comes the really bad bits!. The staircase is a rickety old affair with badly worn carpets, a banister rail that is not secured to anything and wobbles badly when you hold on to it with many spindles either missing (building regs issue here) or badly mismatched. The whole place is in dire need of redecoration as it hasn't seen a lick of paint in many a year, theres a wierd foisty smell to the place and the roof has obviously been leaking at some point as there are water stains on the walls and ceilings in a lot of places. To navigate the corridors I wish I had been in a 4x4 as they are so uneven, it's like walking over a ploughed field.

Now for the rooms. 109 has a couple of missing floorboards which is a tad dangerous. and there was a tile missing in the bathroom which had been replaced by a piece of plywood also the carpets in many of the rooms have seen much better days. The second floor rises at one end of the building so a lot of the furniture leans over at a jaunty angle but as a health and safety precaution they've stuck blocks of wood under the wardrobes to try to square them up. If youre unlucky you will be allocated 118, the shower doesnt work here and when you complain you'll get the suggestion that you go take a shower in one of your friends rooms. one of the guys got a room (119 I think it was) where every time you flush the toilet theres a very loud noise coming from the pipework, fine during the day i guess but at 2 AM?

Another mate got into room 117, the floor tiles are loose here, I'm sure tile adhesive and grout doesn't cost that much. In the room I was in there were headboards and bedside cabinets hanging on brackets. Fine I can hear you say but, the piece of MDF that the brackets were attached to were not securely fixed to the wall, when it fell off I noticed that whoever put them up hadnt used any proper fixings and had just screwed into plasterboard. Which brings me to the walls which are so thin you can hear everything your neighbours are doing. I could even hear someone's mobile vibrating, and them having sex later so where is the insulation?

On Saturday I decided to have breakfast, BIG mistake, full english consisted of cardboard bacon, rubber sausage, a congealed egg, overdone toast and beans which had been microwaved a few times all served by a grumpy guy who needed a shave (how very professional) and instead of a cup for my tea I was given a glass. The bar food is also best avoided, crap burgers mostly.

At least Fawlty Towers was funny, I could go on and on but I'm thinking that the foregoing will be enough to put you off this place. So dear reader, If you're thinking of booking this place please be advised that Premier Inns are much cheaper and much better and you'll probably not find someone else's pubic hairs in their beds and showers.

On a good point the bar staf are pretty helpful .

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2010

I've stayed at the Whites a couple of times purely to accommodate a boozy night in Newcastle. Each time i've stayed has been with one female friend. If you're looking for somewhere to get ready, sleep and leave, the Whites is a good bet.

The rooms/bathrooms are always clean and relatively spacious (although on our last stay, we were right at the back of the building next to the fire escape. The room was small but still did the job). The beds are fairly comfy and the room would have everything you would normally expect. The only downside on our last stay was that the electric went off throughout the whole hotel. Luckily, myself and my friend had already gotten ready and it was back on when we returned. Although at 3:00am, you would expect it to have been fixed...

There is a bar within the hotel which is fairly standard but handy for a quick drink to wait for a taxi.

The staff are always really pleasant and helpful and there is a secure car park to the rear. Even though we were at the back of the building on our last stay, we weren't disturbed by people coming/going or kitchen staff downstairs.

All in all, ok for a last minute stay to do the very minimum within the hotel. And although the rooms are to an average, suitable standard, some TLC would most definitely not go amiss on the stairwells and corridors. 1970's run down Blackpool B&B does come to mind!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2010

after stopping at this hotel i have decided to make it my regular stop when on business in newcastle. From checking in to departure the staff could not of been more friendly. The room was modern with digital tv and i evan had a full stregnth wifi signal for my laptop which was free to use. The bar was excellent value where i had a fantastic curry and a bottle of wine. This hotel is one where i will return to. Thank you

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business