This is our second visit to Novotel Newcastle Airport. Generally the hotel is excellent but is let down by a few details.
First the good things. We got a good rate on an executive room deal including breakfast, internet and movies as well as the better equipped facilities. All the staff are friendly and helpful. The meals, whether it was Breakfast or a meal in the Bar or Restaurant, were all very good - easily better than any chain restaurant and a comparable price. The pool was good (one of the reasons we returned) and the lockers have been refitted since our previous visit. The room itself was well laid out, well equipped and clean. Not just clean, but neutral and fresh clean rather than smelling of bleach. The Bed linens again were crisp and clean. The bathroom was nicely equipped.
Now a few problems. The bed was ridiculously, in fact stupidly, firm. It was so painfully solid and uncomfortable on the second and third nights I had to sleep on the room's sofabed and my wife slept on a bundled up duvet. Not great for a romantic weekend. The movies, included in our room rate, were mostly unwatchable due to the poor quality picture caused by heavy pixellation of their movie serving system. We didn't bother to mention these problems to the staff as it was unlikely they could magic up a better bed or replace their movie media server.
Lastly, we prepaid for this room online via Novotel's website but were almost charged twice during checking out. Fortunately I had brought a print out of my booking to prove I had already paid. This is not the first time a Novotel have tried to double charge me, this previously happened in Novotel Sheffield. Something is wrong with their computer systems if it is aware of the prepaid booking before our arrival (as it was) but unaware it was fully paid on check out. I accept this is probably not the fault of the staff at Novotel Newcastle, they sorted out the price and even waived the parking charges by way of an apology.
It is testament to the excellent quality of the hotel, the location, the professional and attentive staff, the catering, the room (excluding bed) and the pool facilities that we are still willing to offer 4 stars. However, a crippling night's sleep (or lack of sleep!) is a deal breaker for many people.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Novotel Newcastle Airport offers state of the art facilities with stylish new design. Located 5 min drive from Newcastle International Airport now offering shuttle service and flight information screen. 126 en suite rooms including accessible rooms andinternet. Elements Bar and Restaurant. Ideally placed for conference and events with 8 rooms (200 persons) and leisure suite with indoor heated pool, sauna, gym. Easy reach of city centre night life, Metro Centre shopping and the Northumberland coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Novotel Newcastle Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Newcastle Airport Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Novotel Hotel Newcastle Airport
- Novotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Newcastle Upon Tyne Novotel