“NOISY”
Review of Carlton Hotel

Carlton Hotel
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Reception staff were very helpful and friendly. The room needed updating but was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good but the noise from the guests was terrible. Shouting,swearing and banging doors all hours and this was not helped by creaky floorboards in hallway and thin walls.There was a night porter on who was available for complaints but I think he would have been very busy!!!
An ok place for students and young people who do not want to sleep!

Room Tip: Visit during week and not weekends.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lynneb229

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Great value, quiet little hotel on the busy Osborne Road in Jesmond. Has a fantastic bar below with the local tradition of happy hour buttons - has to be seen to be believed, but you could get your whole round of drinks completely free. I always stay here when in Newcastle, where I previously lived for three years - it's perfect for a couple of nights; more homely that a travel lodge and nowhere near as expensive as a city centre hotel, but a short and simple cab ride from the main road will get you wherever you need to be in ten minutes as Newcastle is a bustling but compact city. Tea and coffee facilities and all rooms en suite with a great continental breakfast and within walking distance of the shops of Jesmond, Starbucks, Tesco, Pizza Express and of course, all of the other bars, restaurants and delights of the famous Osborne Road.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter than those on the main road. Rooms on the first floor at...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at the carlton hotel after i returned from travelling and loved it, the staff were friendly and welcoming and the room was always kept clean and provided with fresh towels and free biscuits for my coffee, the best bit was the beds lovely comfortable beds tho which gave me the best nights sleep. And in the morning the staff even made me a ham and cheese toasty to get my day started. I'll stay here whenever i return to my home town, spy bar next door has a awesome happy hour as well, i love that buzzer : )

David Douglas

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I had been staying at the Euro Hostel with my sister & 2 children then 2 & 6 months, we were in Newcastle as my husband was a patient in the Freeman Hospital while waiting for a lung transplant, unfortunately when my husband became very ill we needed to stay longer & the Euro Hostel couldn't accommodate us, I was very grateful when I spoke to the gent from the Carlton & he had space for us, we had only been prepared for an overnight stay in Newcastle so I was glad of the price as this was our 4th night in a hotel, however the 1st problem encountered was on the stairs, part of the railing was missing & I was worried that my 2 year old could fit through, the room itself was dated but tidy enough! I left for the hospital leaving my sister and boys in the room, when I got to the hospital the transplant coordinator gave me keys for a flat within the hospital grounds for us to stay, I immediately called my sister & told her Id come get them, they were in the room less than an hour & new the circumstances & why we were leaving, yet they refused to give us any money back, given that they knew the situation I was in I felt that at least a partial refund would have been a kind gesture, my children sat on the bed and watched tv for less than an hour, I was angry and stressed and pointed out that I may lose my husband that day & the boys their father & the reply from the gent was that he too had suffered grief as he had lost his grandmother, I am not belittling his loss but it hardly be compared to my children losing their father which they did the next day, on my return home I sent an email to complain about the callous manner we in which were treated and the reply was a simple excuse of company policy, no compassion or morals at all... Sorry for the long post, please avoid this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Pammie111
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night. Hotel from outside looks good in keeping with surrounding area. Inside it is looking a little tired. Carpets in the corridors need a clean, didn't smell to great in certain areas. Room was fine, quite a gud size. Very clean could not fault that, bathroom was spotless and overall what I was expecting from the star rating.The walls seem pretty thin and I could hear a lot of noise from other rooms and outside. The gentleman on reception at checkin was very pleasant, helped me out with a few things.
I would stay again if it was just for the one night as the location is great and it did do the job for what I was looking for.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank northeastbabe61
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The hotel is shabby and tired. The room was small and the bathroom fittings were badly fitted ie the taps on the sink did not run directly into the bowl as they did not protrude far enough to clear the edge of the bowl. The bedside light, which is located on the wall directly above the bed (there is no headboard) was loose and spun around and nearly caused an injury. The communal toilets, adjacent to the reception, were very dirty (at 9 o'clock in the morning) there was vomit in the gents and the ladies were still to be cleaned from the night before. The hotel's residents were mainly young adults who thought nothing of inconsiderately running between their rooms shouting and banging doors at 04:45 in the morning. The hotel has parking for approx 9 - 10 cars. The receptionist informed me that should my car need moving, to allow another car to be moved, then she would ring me to get me to return to the hotel in order to move it. The car park is used by both staff and customers reducing the number of spaces available to customers. The breakfast is poor quality with no cooked food option.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 616264Neil1966
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This hotel is not the best I've stayed in but then again you do get what you pay for and for the money we spent I thought it was really good value. The rooms are decorated to an alright standard and there is a bath and shower in each. The reception staff are not the friendliest people but the bar staff in the Spy bar underneath the hotel are very friendly and polite. We went to newcastle to celebrate a 21st birthday so didn't really spend much time in the hotel but when we were there we had all the facilities we needed. The breakfast wasn't great and there wasn't much choice but I'm not a breakfast person so didn't really mind this. There are local shops a stonesthrow away and the spy bar has 2 happy hours a day which suited us to a tee. Also, the town centre is only a short and fairly cheap taxi drive away. I thoroughly enjoyed my long weekend in Newcastle and for what we paid believe that this hotel is very much worth the money spent. I belive this hotel would be more suited for people who are looking to just have a base and enjoy going out a lot. It wouldn't really suit those who like to stay in the area and spend a lot of time in their hotel. Saying that, I would definitely book to stay here again!

Room Tip: Family rooms are much bigger and the same price... as for this if you visit :-)
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends