“Great Place Full of Students but good food.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Butterfly Cabinet
Ranked #110 of 1,243 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great Place Full of Students but good food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Ive been here a few times but didnt want to write a review until I had been a few times as I had heard mixed comments by mouth.
This place is great.
English and American dishes breakfasts to dinners.
Great big portions small eats also for those tht are not to hungry.
Nice rustic feel. Yes it can get busy and may hace to wait to be seated but well worth it.

1 Thank rustygeordie

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“delightful surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was originally going to have lunch somewhere else but was persuaded by my fiance to try somewhere new. I was extremely glad I did! My fiance had smoked salmon sandwich with tortillas and I had a black and blue burger with black pudding and blue cheese. The accompanying pound of chips was a challenge! If you enjoy good food, lots of it and a good price then try this.

• Visited April 2013
Consett, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I was very much looking forward to eating at the butterfly cabinet after reading great reviews and looking at pictures of what looked like gorgeous food but was unfortunately very disappointed.
My husband and I drove over (quite a drive) around noon time. We were seated at the most uncomfortable table! My knees wouldn't go underneath it and the seat was terrible, and being quite far along into my pregnancy this was horrendous for me! My husband is tall as well so he wasn't best pleased about it. We spun the table round a bit though which made it better.
We ordered lemon ice tea to drink and I was happy to see its served in a big glass and it was quite nice.
I ordered an English breakfast (they serve breakfast all day) with a side of granary toast, and my husband ordered the blue cheese burger.
We waited for absolutely ages! I hate complaining so I held out as long as I could. We watched as about 5 people who arrived after us be delivered their food, some of which had actually arrived quite a while after us. This didn't help my annoyance. Just as I was about to ask where my food was it arrived! Only my toast was white and not granary. I pointed this out to the waitress who told me it was granary. It was defiantly not granary. I asked if she was sure and she said yes and they looked really similar. IT WAS NOT GRANARY. It was as white as white bread comes! As I was eating it I felt really pee'd off because there was no way it was granary!
Anyways, my breakfast was really nothing special at all. The hash browns were soggy and just not very nice. Hash browns are my favourite so for me to leave them just has never happened before but I really couldn't force them down. The rest of the breakfast was mediocre. For £6 it was a joke. I can get the same from wetherspoons for half the price and its 5 times as nice there!
As for husbands food, chips looked gorgeous but tasted funny, his burger looked like it would taste great too, all handmade looking and chunky, but it wasn't really tasty at all.
Soon as we were done he went up to pay the bill and we left right away.

Altogether really disappointing :(

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kitty K
Kent, UK
“Great food, huge portions, slooooow service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Great menu, huge portions of delicious food. Service was friendly but painfully slow, which can't help the queue out of the door.

Northern England
“The perfect brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is a great little cafe, well run by a friendly bunch, and great value. I love going there for brunch at weekends, but so do lots of others so be prepared for a wait! The ingredients are great, so even sausage and eggs are a treat as everything is fresh and well cooked. Eggs benedict are especially good. I've read other reviews of other p
Aces trying to emulate the Butterfly Cabinet ,but afraid no-one does it better, or even as well. The menu is fairly limited but I think it makes sense to do what you do well...rather than try too much and be average.

1 Thank GediNorth