“Wonderful food matched by the wonderful service”
Review of Louis - CLOSED

Louis
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was my first visit to Louis and it certainly won't be my last. My husband had been for a business lunch a few weeks ago & had told me that the food was delicious & that there was no problem providing him with gluten free food so off we went for a Saturday night out. I was not disappointed. From the moment we walked in the door we were made to feel very welcome. The waitress brought a wide selection of home made rolls to choose from & shortly afterwards they brought my husband a gluten free roll (nice touch). Once we had ordered the waitress checked with the chef that the dishes my husband had chosen were gluten free. She came back to advise him that some elements of the dishes were not suitable but that the chef had suggested slight alterations to the dishes which would make them gluten free - brilliant as so often he has to choose something entirely different. My husband had the crab starter & I had the tempura king prawns.Both were delicious & the prawns were large and meaty. My husband had chicken whilst I had pork for our mains. My husband commented that the food must have been good as not a crumb was left on my plate! I was so full I couldn't manage a sweet but my husband decided on the strawberry dessert which he enjoyed immensely (normally in restaurants the only gluten free option is ice cream or fruit salad which gets very monotonous) & said the next time he will try the chocolate dessert. The staff were wonderful all evening, checking everything was ok without being intrusive & very friendly,courteous & helpful. I can't believe I have walked past Louis numerous times without noticing it was there. I certainly won't make that mistake again & hopefully it won't be too long until we visit again.

The Malhotra G, Manager at Louis, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Its wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to Louis restaurant! We do try and cater for everyone's needs and therefore do try and put thought into providing alternative products for people with allergies such as your husband's and therefore are pleased to hear that you appreciated the effort which we made. Its lovely to hear that you both enjoyed your meals and that you will be returning to us again. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Had a voucher through Travel Zoo for afternoon tea here and enjoyed it last week with a friend. The restaurant kindly arranged for one portion to be gluten free, which was excellent and also brought out a little cake with a candle when they found out it was my birthday.
The selection on the standard afternoon tea was excellent. There was slightly less choice on the gluten free portion and unfortunately no scone, but we still enjoyed all of the food.
Because we'd only paid £19 for two teas we did think it was quite good value, however I probably wouldn't return to pay full price.
Staff were very friendly and helpful and the ambiance in the restaurant was lovely

The Malhotra G, Manager at Louis, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Its great to hear that you enjoyed your recent trip to Louis restaurant for afternoon tea. And we are thrilled that you appreciated the efforts which the staff went to to provide you with a gluten free option. We would love for you to visit us for lunch or evening meal so could try out some of our fabulous dishes that we have to offer. Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Hope you enjoyed your birthday afternoon treat with us.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was our first visit & the sat nav took us to the back of the building to a parking area,(parking in the area is restricted) we rang the bell & we were ushered into the restaurant. The friendly waitress showed us to our table ,filled our glasses with water & went to get our tea. We asked to look at the lunch/dinner menus & she was happy to bring these & discuss them with us. She pointed out the prix fixe & the coming events. They have a "bring your own bottle" on Wednesday,Sunday lunches & live music nights.
Our tea was served on quality crockery with linen cloths & napkins ,always a good sign I think. Tea was sandwiches,smoked salmon,egg,cheese & ham, scones with cream, jam & fresh strawberry slices & a selection of delicious small cakes/desserts. It wasn't particularly busy this afternoon but we enjoyed it enough to think of returning for a meal sometime.

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed you recent visit of afternoon tea at our restaurant. We would love for you to return and see what the restaurant has to offer for the evening meals. I would highly recommend our Entertainment Evening on 7th November with the 3 course set menu of £18.95 with some fabulous entertainment. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The food is always quality, however the choice seems to get fewer each time. The staff has always been impressive every time we've been. Nice ambience and a lovely decorated restaurant. Would definitely recommend it.

Its great to hear that you have enjoyed your experiences with Louis so far. Feedback from regular customers is great to receive and we appreciate you returning your custom to our restaurant. We are undergoing a refurbishment at the start of the new year and would love for you to come and see our new look. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Visited this restaurant as was staying local as part of a weekend away to watch the Cirque du Soleil at the Metro Arena. Loved the Jesmond area and buzz, so when looking for somewhere to try we had done a brief piece of research and ended up walking past the 'chain' Pizza Express and liked the external appearance of the Louis restaurant and also the FOH menu, which rotated the menu offerings.

The menu was hard to read as it had white text on a white background (which was a picture of a meal with white linen cotton), but nonetheless we went up to the door and it was oddly quiet, which is never a great thing as every bar in the street was packed and it was just about to hit 6pm.

We were greeted with a rejection saying it wasnt open, but this was then changed to we are open, would you like to sit over here near the window. Instantly saving the situation, we were given the early bird menu and also the ala carte. Service was prompt, caring and efficient and after exchanging some comments on the local area, taxis and the metro arena we proceeded to pick the early bird menu, which will limited seemed to present good value for £16.95 for 2 courses or 3 course for £18.95.

We got a nice selection of freshly made bread, which was good and I opted for the black pudding roll, which was very unusual, but nice.

As they were setting up for the night, there was an overhead projector which was clicked on and it needs a new bulb in it, and was showing a very green tinted dirty dancing, felt that was a bizarre move and a tad pointless, however overlooked this as some sort of 80s tribute, but whe the music was clicked on it was timeless 80s classics, which was a bit wary and tiresome after a while, but I suppose you cannot please all.

Onto the starters, my partner had asked for the salmon which when ordering she quizzed over the condition and status of it, whether it would be raw or cooked, was assured it had been pre cooked, but served cold with a dressing, so proceeded, however when it was plated on a charcoal slab it was 2 bits of fillet - grilled!! The waitress was quick to point out 'he grilled it' but not what was promised and my partner went with it despite not really what she was after.

I opted for the courgette soup and was treated to another roll, which in this occasion went for Granary, very nice and crisp, a good sign again. The soup was ridiculously hot and I burned my mouth on first sample, so had to play with it to cool it down, not ideal and even toyed with sticking an ice cube in to help! However 5-8 minutes later it was better and in fairness was flavoursome, tasty and a good portion size for a starter, so no real compliants overall, I suppose hot is better than lukewarm or cold.

In between courses the restaurant got busier with bookings and the like and was had a reasonable but not unjustifed wait for the next course, during this time we had been given a strawberry sorbet, which was a small but refreshing touch and much appreciated. Thought it was a good gesture.

On the mains, well it was outstanding, a chicken breast sliced on a bed of mash, baby carrots and peppercorn sauce. Absolutely cooked to perfection and well presented with a delicious array of flavour and taste. Perfect quantity of sauce and mash, which I usually never a fan of, was light fluffy and perfect. For me this was a massive tick in the box. The sauce went well with it and little chunks of black pudding which melted in the mouth and went well with the peppercorns, it was rich, but I am a fan of the taste.

The size of portion was brilliant, my partner ordered the same and struggled to eat it all, I finish mine and had little or no room for desert, so opted to leave this, so cannot say what the desert was like which was varied between strawberry cheesecake and chocolate brownie.

Overall it was a great experience, decently priced and apart from one or two we daft things with the emptiness it really is worth a visit.

In closing the waitress advised of an upcoming refurb as they seek to get up from 30-40 covers a night to 100. I would hope this helps the business as I would reconmend to anyone staying there or looking for a top class dinner.

Look forward to seeing the new refurb and filled out our details for an invite to opening night which we will travel back for.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience with us during your recent visit to Newcastle. We are sorry however to hear about the confusion regarding your partners starter of Salmon, however so pleased that we won you back with the main course.

We look forward to seeing you in the New Year to show off our new look. Thanks for taking the time to write this review, Take care.