“Good Menu Range”

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I've been meanign to try Sagnreela for ages and finally got round to it on a wet Good Friday. The weather might explain why there were only 4 people in the restaurant, including us, but it did mean that the atmosphere was lacking a bit.
The welcome was warm and the menu comprehensive and I really enjoyed the food we had. A small downside was that I had ordered a chicken dich but got lamb. They were very apologetic and were goign to change it but I was happy to stick with what I got. The only downside was that it was pricier than standard (the food was very good) and we paid a whisker short of £50 before tip for 2 starters, 2 mains, one nan, one rice, an orange juice and a glass of tap water. If I compare that to somwehere like Rumana or Solomans I feel I get more for my money and am therefore more likely to return regulalry.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

I've eaten at this restaurant on a few occasions.. It was okay when it first opened. But has went down hill. The last stop in the restaurant and also a take away I've had were on par, both being awful. Not beating around the bush, the food was bland and cold, each curry sauce would have passed through a sieve, two identical currys managed to be completely different colours ?! (Thats an achievement in itself.)

Their food might be up to it for parties of people arriving tanked up from the Benton Ale House just across the road. But anyone looking for a decent Indians, far better is not to far away (Forest Hall, Westmoor and slightly further afield but worth a trip Tynemouth)

Overall poor, oh and expensive for the slop their passing off as curry.

Sangreela, Manager at Sangreela, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Dear Cross90,

We thank you for the valuable input you have provided on Trip Advisor. All reviews, negative and positive, are of great value to us. We sincerely apologise we could not meet up to your expectation during the last couple of times you dined with us. We do admit at times, even thou we endeavour to provide a professional and top class service our standards slip.

With your comments in mind, regarding the quality of food and the customer service, we have taken action to improve our service. Please do not hesitate to contact us to book a table should you wish to dine at Sangreela as am sure you will notice the improvements we have made.

Once again, thank you for comments and giving us the opportunity to improve Sangreela and please do not hesitate to inform me how further improvement can be made.

Regards,

Management of Sangreela,

Phone: 0191 266 2777
Email: managementofsangreela@gmail.com
If booking on line please email: booking@sangreela.com

Reviewed February 22, 2012

We visited Sangreela for the 1st time after wanting to try it for ages. I can honestly say we were not let down by this restaurant.
The menu has 3 dozens of starters and main courses too choose from. This makes your choice of food take a little time to decide upon. enough in one of the best restaurants in Newcastle.
Starters were tasty Kati kebab and spicy nudles pakora, delicatley spiced lamb dish, all are excellent in their delivery, taste and appearance.
Main courses were superb, a jalfrezi like no other you will have tasted and a Tandoori mix grill full of flavour and superbly cooked.
The waiters know what they are on about in here and their courteous and well mannered approach is nice to see. All in all a great meal in a lovely restaurant. Thanks Sangreela and kitchen staff

Visited February 2012

1  Thank anna j
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We went for dinner with my dad in December and were a party of 4. The restaurant had just been re-opened after a refurbishment and was nicely decorated. We were the only table in for the majority of the time we dined and therefore the atmosphere was poor. We were asked too many times if everything was ok with the food/drinks etc, to the point of annoyance.

However the food is very expensive. We didn't have starters due to the high prices, except for some poppadoms and pickles, and all opted for a curry and 1 side dish. I was shocked at the prices of the rice and breads with some of them being priced over £5! All our food was average, with my curry having far too many onions in, and not worth the high prices. When the bill arrived, we'd been overcharged on our drinks and charged £10 for pickles and poppadoms. I can't stand restaurants adding drinks to your bill you've not had. I'm sure many people would miss being overcharged.

I'm happy to pay more for quality and authentic indian food but this was simply not worth it working out at £23 per head for 1 drink, a poppadom, curry and side dish. What a rip-off! We will not being going back, there are far better Indian restaurants available locally.

Sangreela, Manager at Sangreela, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

We thank you for the valuable input you have provided on Trip Advisor. All reviews, negative and positive, are of great value to us and as you know an indication of how our customers feel about us and gives us the opportunity to improve on area we are lacking in.

We sincerely apologise we could not meet up to your expectation during your visit with us. Even though we endeavour to provide a professional and top class service, we do admit our standards slip.

With your comments in mind, regarding customer service (if everything was alright) we have corrected this and have improved on our communication with the waiters. Other improvements we have made is to quality check everything we do such as checking the bills before giving it to our customers. We apologise for the extra drink being added onto your bill, this is a real embarrassment on our behalf and won’t happen again.

With regards to the prices we charge, we are sure you can appreciate we are the only Indian Restaurant in the North East who has achieved the prestigious AA Rosette award making us one of the top class restaurants in the region. However, saying that, we have reduced our prices sometime after we refurbished. Another factor for our prices is not only do we use local sources (Northumberland and Scotland) for our ingredients and spices but we also import from abroad (Bangladesh and India) and make sure they arrive fresh and in excellent quality. Another example of our prices being as such is we use free range chicken for our chicken dishes. These factors not only increase our prices but also increase the quality of food we serve regardless if they are the Westernised curries or our own authentic Bangladeshi/Indian curries. We can not recall at this moment which dish you had but some of our dishes do have a higher onion quantity than other dishes and if you were to dine with us we would make sure you are served what you want.

We have taken action to improve our service and quality of food we serve and should you wish to dine at Sangreela again am sure you will notice the improvements we have made.

Once again, thank you for comments and giving us the opportunity to improve Sangreela and please do not hesitate to inform us how further improvement can be made.

Regards,

Management of Sangreela.

Phone: 0191 266 2777 / 266 2444
Email: managementofsangreela@gmail.com
If booking on line please email: booking@sangreela.com

Reviewed February 12, 2012

My husband and I are very lucky that the Sangreela is on our doorstep and the temptation is to keep this gem of a restaurant our own private secret...but that hardly seems fair! The food is always, always first class and the menu is fantastic. This is not your run of the mill Indian restaurant- the menu is a great balance of the classic dishes we recognise but also introduces some newer dishes which are superb. The staff are very warm and attentive and we've always been made to feel very welcome. All we can say is we guarentee you won't leave disappointed!!!