“Distinctly Average”
Review of Rupali Indian Restaurant - CLOSED

Rupali Indian Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Indian restaurants are ten a penny and you have to do something these days to stand out and make the customer want to return. The Rupali does neither. Not open at all on a Sunday, despite what it says outside on the door and closes well before the advertised closing time, maybe when the staff just feel like it.
Unsociable indifferent staff serve with no pleasure, it's obviously just a job to them. The place was almost empty and prices are fairly steep. The best part was the king prawn rogan josh with four very large king prawns in it but apart from that I'm struggling to think of anything else positive.
Then once outside, it's like a war zone on the Bigg Market.
Nothing makes me want to rush back and I have been very kind in an average review as it really deserves poor.

1  Thank Clarenicky

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Been a while since we've been to the Rupali but we were delighted to be back and can confirm that it's an excellent as ever. Starters were prompt and fresh. I had the sheek kebab which was meaty, spicy and delicious. My pal had a mixed grill which was a pile of wonderfully char grilled meat! We had a chicken and a prawn main with rice and breads, a couple of beers each and a great catch up. God food and great vibe around the place, and really excellent value. See you again soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Second trip to this popular curry house and once again a great meal enjoyed by all four of us. As a little challenge we decided to try a half portion of the "Curry Hell" challenge between us. We couldnt manage more than a small mouthfull each before suffering very badly! you really need to think carefully before attempting the full on challenge! It was fun though!

1  Thank john_ramsey_1962
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Went with teenage daughter. My main had pan fried fish which was lovely and really spicy. My daughter had a biryani which was quite nice. For 2 mains, 2 drinks and one desert it was £30 which is a lot for a curry house. Staff quite nice but no atmosphere - feels like a hotel lobby!

1  Thank oozeworthypayana
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Very disappointing, the whole placed looked run down, the staff were not particularly friendly, my husband tried to speak to the waiter about how we used to go there a lot but he wasn't interested even though there was only one other couple in the restaurant. The food was very ordinary, they had no house wine and when we settled the bill my husband queried what we thought was an overcharge only to be told at that late stage my husband should not have selected a "special chef's" meal - that was extra. He should have told us when we were ordering. We won't be going back.

2  Thank Flysun123