“A little bit of poland in newcastle”
Review of Restaurant Krakow - CLOSED

Restaurant Krakow
Cuisines: Polish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Loved the cellar restaurant and enjoyed the food, loved the design and artefacts, lots of space and a nice ambience but extremelt cold, my father is polish and i wanted my daughter to experience a bit of the culture and this she did ... She loved the wall mural and music and food choices, the back room with the apple tree....we used a living social voucher but to be honest it would have been cheaper to try the lunchtime special offer, it was a little too cold to relax and it did distract me from enjoying the experience.... If it had been warmer i would have stayed longer and had pudding when our meal had settled , i would try again if the restaurant was warmer , the place really does have potential and i can imagine the atmosphere in the evening to be even better.... The living social voucher would never cover the cost of two starters and two mains so the deal is a little misleading , it deserves to be a success , a lot of hard work has gone into this gem of a place !!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I'd heard about this restaurant a while ago and after looking at the menu online it was somewhere I was planning to go to as the food sounded great. We are always on the lookout for new places to eat in the city and as I love Polish food I was really looking forward to sampling the goods at Krakow. When a deal from Living Social popped up we saw it as a good opportunity to visit for lunch and try out their food.
I love the idea that it's a cosy little place tucked away in a cellar~ the decor is great and gives the place a homely,authentic feel however we were seated in the back room, which does look nice but, it was cold and void of any atmosphere as there were only 2 fellow Living Social diners in the room and faint sounds of Mariah Carey in the background. I have to say the main room felt a lot warmer and had more atmosphere and despite there being plenty of spare seats in there all we were offered were the chilly wicker chairs in what I call 'Voucher corner'... The other thing we immediately noticed was the less than pleasant smell....lovely aromas of home-cooked food were non existent as the whole place had that nasty 'burnt fat' smell much alike the fast food, fried chicken place around the corner which was very noticeable and off putting.
Staff were great and explained the menu and were accommodating so I can not fault the service. In terms of value in relation to the deal we had purchased, I have to be honest and say it wasn't the best value as there were only very limited options in keeping with the budget and conditions, which we were aware of when accepting the voucher. However we chose to pay the excess just to be able to order what we actually wanted to eat but, it would have been more appealing if the offer was more flexible though.
On paper the menu reads well and is much akin to what you might find in a traditional restaurant in Poland. Lots of options, and I was pleased to find plenty of vegetarian variety. Between us we tried the Moskole (boiled potato pancakes) and the cream cheese and aubergine toasts. Both were below par and served up on a bit of pre-packed salad. The toasts weren't great as it was 3 finger sized pieces of toasted bread with Philadelphia and a couple of token slivers of what might have been aubergine and the supposed 'plum tomato salsa' was a pile of salad tomatoes chopped into quarters . They were alright, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to eat either dishes again.
It was the mains that were the most disappointing and really let the meal down. We ordered the Hunter's Stew with sauerkraut and 'Meats' as well as the Pierogi (dumplings) with cream cheese, onion and potato. The Hunter's Stew was dire~a mound of sauerkraut with the meat content being a grand total of 5 tiny, centimetre squares of what looked like a hot dog. It was bland and overall it simply was not enjoyable. I LOVE Pierogi but, these were the worst I've ever encountered. They were fried within an inch of their life making them taste more like a deep fried Cornish Pasty. They were dripping in oil and more or less swimming on the plate to the point I had to mop up the fat and blot the dumplings with napkins before I could even tackle eating them~they were really unpleasant and the greasiness overpowered any flavour. All in all, an awful meal and needless to say we decided to go elsewhere for coffee and dessert!
I'm glad we had the voucher and didn't pay normal price for the dishes as I do not feel the prices are reflective of the quality of the food. If I'd paid the full menu price of £9.60 for those dumplings I would certainly not have been a happy customer. In terms of value, mains come in at between £7.50-£15.95, Starters vary between £3.10-£4.60 and you are looking at £2.90 for a soft drink and around the £4 mark for beer options. My opinion is that had the food been better and lived up to the expectations of their delicious descriptions on the menu then these prices would be warranted but, as it happens the food was poor so I have to say I don't feel you get value for money.
For all my personal experience of the food here was negative there were some points that I feel were more positive for example the concept of restaurant, the staff, good service and the selection of vegetarian options available.The place has potential and I liked the interior, it's clean and tidy and staff are helpful. It's great to have a restaurant offering traditional Polish cuisine in Newcastle and I love the idea of it being tucked away underground, however my thoughts are that the food needs more consideration and attention to meet the expectations of a paying customer.
It's a shame my meal here wasn't more enjoyable as I do like the cosiness and idea of the place but, after my first experiences with the food here, I will not be returning.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Both my husband and I enjoy Polish food and so were pleased when we were able to purchase a voucher on Living Social for Restaurant Krakow on Living Social.
We visited on a Monday evening and although Newcastle was reasonably quiet there were 4 other groups in the restaurant when we arrived, making it about half full.
To start my husband had Traditional Moskole(boiled potato pancake) and I had the polish sausage with apple and shallots, both were delicious and seasoned really nicely. The food came quickly and were decent sized portions. For our main courses my husband chose the Traditional de'volaile (breaded chicken breast stuffed with butter and cheese) whereas I had the Traditional Schabowy (breaded pork chop). My pork chop was tender and all meat, we did wonder whether there would be bone as it was described as a chop, but not so. My meat came with boiled potatoes and a choice of 1 out of the 4 offered salads, I had a carrot based salad with sunflower seeds and my husband had beetroot, so we shared and they were both fresh and well prepared. The radichio garnish looked a little limp but the rest of the meal was lovely although I have to say it was may be too large a portion as I struggled to finish the meal. My husband also thoroughly enjoyed his meal which he had with chips, I’m not a lover of cheese and butter stuffed things so I declined to try it, but he did say that everything was very tasty, he is a chef and so would know!
We were too full to try any desserts, but my husband would be saddened if I didn’t mention the polish beer, which he really liked
The atmosphere was pleasant in the restaurant and the server helpful and attentive but not ‘in your face’ in any way and there were some interesting pictures and items around the room. There was a slight musty/kitchen smell on entering but this was only apparent for the first couple of minutes and what do you expect when the restaurant is underground with no fresh air coming through.
My only bad comment was that I was cold for much of the meal. I didn’t quite get to the point where I needed to put my coat on but this did impact on my overall experience. There was no evidence of heating and although it was a cold February evening I would have expected something to take the chill out of the room.
Overall we enjoyed the evening.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Lovely setting and very similar to what you find in Poland and other European countries. Food is a bit pricey and don't be fooled by the Hunter's stew which I thought would be a meaty dish in thick gravy but turned out to be a spicy sausage dish without any gravy at all! My husband had a beef dish which was very nice although as mentioned before a bit over priced. Don't be in a hurry as service is slow although when we were there it was full and the staff were working hard. We would have tried the pudding but time was running out as we needed to be somewhere else, so can't comment on that. The beetroot soup was different though, quite tasty! It's certainly worth a try though. Give it a go.

1  Thank Tig45_12
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Have walked past a few times and having been to Poland several times when this came up on a Living Social voucher the time seemed right to try it. Was told when booking the table they were full at the time requested, but when we got there they weren't but did get shown to the table straight away. We were right though into the very rear of the restaurant and only one other couple on a table beside us. The place felt cold and a little musty although it had clearly recently been decorated. Sadly though even with the Polish touches the place lacked any atmosphere and even when we later asked to move tables (not a problem) into the main area there was still no real buzz to the place. The waitress suggested I try the Red Apples beer which was a nice fruity alternative to the Polish lager, so first indications were good, although we seemed to wait a while before we were asked for our order. So to the food, my starter of a cream cheese and aubergine toasts was lacking any sign of aubergine and was tasteless. Partner had boiled potato pancake in garlic butter with cream cheese which again sounded promising but lacked any great flavour. Onto the mains which came fairly promptly and we opted for the potato pancakes with beef goulash and vegetables and the Pierogi (dumplings) with meat stuffing. The fried potato pancakes were lovely but the goulash was lacking, the meat was hard and the only vegetables seemed to be chunks of carrot. The Pierogi however were really nice and the filling was really tasty. By this point however we decided to forgo the dessert and coffee and beat a retreat, as although the meal was a "deal" it wasn't worth spending any more in there. Can't say I'd hurry back sadly.