“Birthday meal”

Silk Room Restaurant & Champagne Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Silk Room Restaurant & Champagne Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Silk Room Restaurant and Champagne Bar is situated at the heart of Newcastle upon Tyne Quayside and has developed a reputation for fine local cuisine, great service and relaxed atmosphere . This stylish Newcastle restaurant won a North East Restaurant of the Year Award and is perfect for dining out in Newcastle for any occasion. With the largest selection of Champagne in the North East, Silk Room is a perfect venue to celebrate in style. This Newcastle Quayside restaurant and also has private dining and corporate buffet facilities and can accommodate large group reservations. Silk Room simply is the number one restaurant choice for Newcastle upon Tyne.
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

We had a fabulous meal here on Saturday evening. Food,service and atmosphere was great. We will have no hesitation on returning. Staff could not do enough for you. Every table was full and all food was served together and piping hot. Not many places manage this on a Saturday evening,perhaps this was why they are full when many beside them are not. Had a great birthday.

1  Thank Isabella W

Reviewed May 11, 2013

A friend came up to visit, & we really fancied going for a nice & more expensive than where we would usually eat, meal so we thought we would blow a large portion of a weeks wages for a lovely meal ... and IT WAS SO WORTH IT!

I had kangaroo, im not very adventurous when it comes to food so I asked the poor waitor 1million questions before ordering it. < not trying to be, but deffinately being an awkward customer! sorry! It was soooooo good, Its like beef but with a really rich flavour to it. I dont eat mushrooms... but I loved the ones on the side of this meal! Totally polished them off!

for starter I had duck terrine... not knowing what terrine is I decided I would like it if it was duck because I love duck. Not realising terrine is like pate which i hate... But i still LOVED it! Infact if the silk rooms did a version of everything i dont eat i would probably like it.

My friend had my favourite dish of all time being the steak in pepper sauce, but luckily for me she has a stomach the size of a pea and I sneakily ate her left overs when nobody in the restaurant was looking! She loved the food too!

We had a starter each, a main each, a champagne cocktail each, & a bottle of red wine between us with a service charge came to bang on about £100 from what i can remember!
alot of money for a meal.... BUT i dont regret spending a penny of it because it was worth it :)

I did get the impression from the suprised look on the waitor's face when we arrived and the other people in there that young 21 yr olds dont normally eat there.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Popped in here last night after the restaurant we were originally going to go to was closed. We were not disappointed. We got a table straight away as there was only one table with a large group on in the restaurant. I ordered the fillet steak & my partner ordered the Kobe beef burger. We could not stop raving about how good the food was. The desserts were also amazing. I got the chocolate brownie & my partner got the raspberry & white chocolate cheesecake which he said was possibly the best he had ever tasted! Even the wine we ordered (the rose Zinfandel was lovely). Overall would recommend to anyone , great food, great service!

1  Thank Newcastle26
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is one of several restaurants behind the Newcastle Law Courts. Given that it's situated in a street close to the court i had thought it would be busier but on this occasion (Friday lunch) there was only us in to dine. There were another couple of people but i got the impression this was the owner and a rep having a business meeting.
Given that we were the only diners the meals should have been well prepared and special. I had a vegetable tart which was bland and tasted like it had been heated up from frozen. M&S make better and cheaper. My husband had steak which was smothered in sauce. He likes a sauce but not at the expense of seeing or tasting the steak. I did wonder if they were covering the steak intentionally but can't be sure. So, after bland,uninteresting mains we weren't expecting much of the dessert. We were suprised by beautifully presented desserts on slate tiles with drizzles of sauce and strawberries and a mint sprig. They were delicious and shockingly good. How can a chef present rubbish mains then fantastic puds without realising theres an imbalance?
The only other thing are the reams of silk hanging from the ceiling. How does a place get a fire certificate with these fire hazards blocking exits and hemming diners in? Just a thought but it did concern me a bit. Overall not worth a visit unless they up their game on the main courses and stop having business meetings having left their sports car parked on double yellow lines outside for effect. If you do go dress code is casual and prices are the top end of average for this kind of place.

1  Thank Jane C
davidursell, Owner at Silk Room Restaurant & Champagne Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear J2Cru,

Thank you for your comments and feedback which we always take on board in order to work hard and maintain high levels of customer service.

I apologise that you did not like the main course but I am delighted that you enjoyed the desserts. Our chefs greatly endeavour to make sure all of our cuisine is presented to a high standard and will continue to work hard so guests enjoy dining at Silk Room.

I am slightly confused by your other comments which seem rather strange and of a personal nature:

1) The curtains are not fire hazards. The whole premises undergoes frequent and rigorous fire inspections and has been fire safety certified.
2) I was not at the restaurant when you dinned and was not having a business meeting ( I can only assume it must have been other diners in the restaurant having a lunch meeting). Also, it was not my car parked outside as I was not working at the restaurant that afternoon (diners often park their cars outside when visiting Silk Room and also when visiting the restaurants either side).

Thank you again for your feedback and wish you all the best for the year ahead.

Regards,

David

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I and my partner who lives in york booked a table for two ,not having been here before .
I have to say it was amazing , food was out standing customer service spot on as I assess
good customer service . I would have to say they pass 100% the owner was friendly and made you feel good to . we will go back there on our next weekend date well done silk room .

1  Thank Denise A

Dear Denise,

Thank you for your very positive feedback which we really appreciate and I am delighted you really enjoyed your evening at Silk Room.

It was lovely to meet you and your husband when you dined and I have passed your comments onto my staff who were delighted too. The team at Silk Room work hard to ensure diners enjoy our cuisine and customer service and we really appreciate your great feedback.

We hope to see you back in the near future. Many thanks again.

Kind Regards,