“Good food, good waitress, Manager ruined our night.”
Review of The Living Room

The Living Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Living Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #434 of 1,330 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Situated on Grey Street in Newcastle, The Living Room is a contemporary bar and restaurant with a laid-back vibe that keeps the locals coming back for more. During the day, it's the ideal place to do business over lunch or refuel after a day of shopping. In the evening, the modern eatery fills up with a lively post-work crowd catching up over cocktails. The fixed price menu is great value for money and there is plenty to choose from with all our dishes made with top quality seasonal ingredients. With dishes such as Thai fish cakes, Monkfish and Pork Blocks that not only taste great but look it too why not come and try?
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had a lovely meal at the Living Room. Delicious warm bread to start with, with British oil, and Italian vinegar. Followed by a lovely 'trio of pork', crispy and succulent pork belly, pork fillet (slightly over done), and black pudding, with mash, apple and extra carrots. The pudding selection was lovely, especially the chocolate tart.

However, on the table next to us, was a couple who, ruined our evening with regard to their 'bedroom' antics. One table moved because of them, and we raised our feelings, with the waitress, who, quite rightly, was embarrassed by it also. She mentioned this to an incompetent restaurant manager, who didn't even speak to us, never mind asking them to stop. During the meal I asked to speak to him directly, and he asks me what I would do to them, frankly, sir, that is your decision as a manager; not mine as a customer. Needless to say nothing was done. The waitress apologised to us realising her boss was clearly incapable of his job or wage.

On paying our bill, we requested that the waitress take a tip, due to her service and excellent attitude; but she refused, as our night was ruined. Finally, at her urging, the manager of the living room (not the restaurant manager), spoke to us, and offered us a free bottle of wine next visit - something I will surely not be accepting! I have the video to remind me of this terrible night!!

2  Thank UKChris82

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We were sat at the side near the piana. I found the spotlights overhead too bright and as if I was on stage! Once they were dimmed at around 9:30pm it was a lot better.

Food was very nice and good value. Nice timings not too rushed and not too slow. I had the duck breast which was lovely but hard to cut as it was served in a bowl - maybe if it had been served on a plate it would have been better. Partner was very impressed with his food and sticky toffee pudding was perfect.

Staff were very friendly and attentive

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Loved this Restuarant and will be returning on my next visit. Great choice and quality of food, lovely decor and a very good level of service. Music was a bit iffy and not to the choosing of my older colleagues.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was disappoined with the Living Room on this visit. After waiting for a long time, my partner and I received our meals apart and mine (steak) was almost charcoal. Considering I asked for a rare steak, I was very unhappy.
The staff were very friendly, it's a shame the food didn't compliment the service.

Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I chose the Living Room as the place to take my partner for a meal on their Birthday. I had eaten here before and thought it was something a bit special. I wasn't disappointed this time either.
The service was excellent with very polite and welcoming waiting staff. The food as always was out of this world. The restaurant have a fantastic evening menu which offers some beautiful dishes. The price of the food and wine is on par with most restaurants of this standard and can bit a little expensive for everyday dinning.
Overall a wonderful experience.